19 April 2024, 05:12:03 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Motion Picture thread, another endless topic  (Read 37209 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 13 June 2011, 05:51:21 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for all those insightful recension, enjoying this thread immensely!

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 June 2011, 04:31:48 »
ReplyReply

And then last night, I went out and saw TUCKER AND DALE VS EVIL, which is being shown as part of the Sydney Film Festival.

This is a very, very, funny black comedy in which the well-worn story of City Folk being attacked by Hillbillies in the Backwoods - as seen in DELIVERANCE, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, THE HILLS HAVE EYES and so on - gets grabbed by its overalls and given a thorough shakin'.

Trailer:

(other trailers on YouTube give away too many of the great gags - don't watch 'em)

Highly Recommended.

And yes, that's Alan Tudyk (SERENITY) with a face full of bee stings.....

If Life gives you Lemons, Burn Them.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 June 2011, 11:37:30 »
ReplyReply

KICK-ASS

Kick-Ass International Trailer [HD]

3652 Days: Kick-Ass Hit-Girl Redband Trailer HD

FOR A GOOD LAUGHTER  hihi

but it's NOT a kidsmovie! strange mixture of comedy, violence and more
« Last Edit: 19 June 2011, 11:43:49 by Koen » Logged
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 3 July 2011, 09:58:31 »
ReplyReply

one of THE classics get its ultimate version!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6414

Ben-Hur Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray

Warner Home Video has sent retailers and select members of the press a photo booklet and sneak peek DVD that reveals further details about the forthcoming release of the Ben-Hur: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, its pack-in collectibles and its bountiful supplemental package. The 3-disc Blu-ray edition is set to arrive this fall in limited quantities and numbered for exclusivity, although an exact release date has yet to be announced.

Update: Amazon is now accepting pre-orders. The cost of the Ultimate Collector's Edition set is currently $44.99. It has also been revealed that the film and special features are spread across three Blu-ray discs; two for the feature film and one for the supplemental content.

As first reported in March, the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Ben-Hur will feature a newly minted frame-by-frame restoration created from the original 65mm camera negative at a resolution of 6K; effectively achieving six times the resolution of the previous DVD release. The results, at least as teased in the following before/after comparison photographs, are promising:

A variety of special features will be spread across the Blu-ray edition's three BD-50 discs, chief among them Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey, an all-new, feature length, high-definition documentary that chronicling Heston's life while filming Ben-Hur. It not only includes a wealth of behind-the-scenes content, it also includes rare home movie footage from the Heston family.

In an interview with Christianity Today, Fraser Heston, Charlton Heston's now 56-year-old son, says: "My earliest memory was of my dad coming home in his chariot driver's outfit. I think I assumed he was a professional charioteer. I remember him bringing sand from the Roman arena for my sandbox, and being told this was not just any sand. It was MGM sand!" He continues, "We recently produced a film about my dad called Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey. In it, we used a lot of 16mm footage that my mom took. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff of Dad driving the chariot around and me in it. It's pretty cool."

Other special features, most of which have been made available in previous releases of the film, include:

Ben-Hur, A Journey Through Pictures: An audiovisual re-creation assembled using stills, storyboards, sketches, music, dialogue and other archive materials
    Ben Hur: The 1925 Silent Film
    2005 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema
    1994 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic
    Original Screen Tests
    Vintage Newsreel Gallery
    Highlights from the 4/4/60 Academy Awards Ceremony
    Theatrical Trailer Gallery

The Ultimate Collector's Edition also offers filmfans two collectible books in a three-tier collector's case. The first book, "Charlton Heston: The Ben-Hur Diaries" is the most intriguing. An exclusive look into the Oscar-winning actor's experience while making the award-winning film, this high-quality reproduction of Charlton Heston's personal and insightful diary documents events that occurred from January 1958 through April 1960; from a time before production of the film begain all the way through Heston's Oscar win. The book includes personal photos from the Heston family and some of Heston's own sketches.

The second exclusive book is a more traditional pack-in that features rare photographs, production art and reproductions from the original theatrical press book.

Ben-Hur won a record-setting eleven Academy Awards, among them Best Picture (producer Sam Zimbalist), Best Director (William Wyler), Best Actor (Charlton Heston), Best Supporting Actor (Hugh Griffith), Best Color Cinematography (Robert L. Surtees), Best Film Editing (Ralph E. Winters and John D. Dunning), Best Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Miklos Rozsa), Best Color Art Direction and Set Decoration (William A. Horning, Edward Carfagno and Hugh Hunt), Best Sound (Franklin E. Milton, MGM Studio Sound Department) and Best Special Effects (A. Arnold Gillespie, Robert MacDonald and Milo Lory).

BEN-HUR 50th ANNIVERSARY ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION Blu-ray trailer

Ben-Hur (50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 9 July 2011, 16:28:31 »
ReplyReply

IMDB

this is a VERY GOOD MOVIE

why do I like this one? because it's a combination of lots of things:

*WWII
*love and affection between human and animals
*showing an unshown aspect of war in movies: hunger
*showing the aftermath of war
and more

and what a perfomance of such a young girl Mathilde Goffart

Survivre avec les Loups

and docu:
Enquête - Mentir avec les loups

amazon: BUY!
Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 27 July 2011, 07:03:37 »
ReplyReply

Because I felt like it, I sat down and watched a Late Nite Double Feature, starring two movies drawn from the vaults...

ENDPLAY (1976) and J.D.'S REVENGE (1976).

I'm gonna say straight off that ENDPLAY is NOT a very good film - I did hit the FF button a couple of times.

Psychological thriller about two brothers, one of whom is in a wheelchair, and either or both of whom may be killing young, lissome hitchikers:

End Play 1976 Ozploitation thriller video trailer

It is, however, interesting for a number of reasons:

* ENDPLAY comes out of a time when some Aussie directors were making sometimes rather painful and forced 'statement' films about 'being Australian'. Other directors in this period were looking to cash in on what was a worldwide boom in Exploitation films. ENDPLAY is a good, honest exploitation film - some violence, some far-fetched 'psychological' stuff, lots of plot twists, and some T&A...who's killing the hot chicks and pushing them around in wheelchairs? -don't worry, you'll find out in the last 5 minutes.

* Like a lot of Aussie artistic product, ENDPLAY was made with the Overseas Market firmly in mind - there is very little in the script or the locations that evokes Australia - this film was designed to be sold in the UK market, and is remarkably similar in it's style to various British thrillers of it's era.

* The script for ENDPLAY was from the novel of the same name by Russell Braddon -
Braddon's a very interesting writer - I just finished reading his WWII memoir 'The Naked Island', which recounts his experiences as a P.O.W. on the Burma Railway and at Changi - I'll write this up for the Reading Thread at some point, because it's a GREAT book.

* It's got Delvene Delaney!!!

Delvene is remembered fondly by Australians who were watching TV in the 1970's - she was a regular on The Paul Hogan Show, and in fact ended up marrying Hoges' sidekick and business manager, John 'Strop' Cornell.

Here's Delvene:

TAB Cola (Australian ad) 1984

J.D.'S REVENGE is also Exploitation - it's a supernatural thriller set among African-Americans in New Orleans in the 1970's....a young, upwardly mobile law student finds himself possessed by the demonic spirit of a 1940's black gangster after a novelty hypnosis session....

JD'S REVENGE

But it's a much better film than ENDPLAY - very well made, given it's budget constraints.

Director Arthur Marks made a few interesting films in his career - I especially liked the gritty film-noirish feel of his BONNIE'S KIDS (1973):
Bonnie's Kids (1973)

Marks is a very capable director, and J.D'S REVENGE is well worth your time - a great performance by the lead actor, Glynn Turman, who literally changes personalities before your eyes....and Lou Gossett Jr. in an interesting supporting role.....

You can actually watch the whole film on YouTube, if you want:

J.D.'s Revenge (1976) (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

I would recommend either a Late-Nite session or make it your Midday Movie of the Week....

If Life gives you Lemons, Burn Them.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 August 2011, 18:57:21 »
ReplyReply

damn... I've never seen so many good movies in such a short time!

The American
director: Anton Corbijn
starring: George Clooney (if I was gay I would.................................)

SUPERB movie if you're a fanatic.... the colours..... the camera POV and so much more.... OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'The American' Trailer HD

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 October 2011, 19:59:24 »
ReplyReply

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/the-lounge-get-a-beer-go-off-topic/the-motion-picture-thread-another-endless-topic/msg20872/#msg20872

waited a long time hoping it would get cheaper and come to Europe... but it didn't so I had to order it in the US... now hoping that customs are moviefreak friendly  congrats

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013MYB9K/

and just found this A M A Z I N G edition of Once Upon A Time In The West
http://www.amazon.de/Limited-Premium-exklusiv-Amazon-Blu-ray/dp/B004UJM78U
« Last Edit: 19 October 2011, 20:16:44 by Koen » Logged
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 3 December 2011, 18:56:45 »
ReplyReply

one of THE classics get its ultimate version!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6414

Ben-Hur Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray

Warner Home Video has sent retailers and select members of the press a photo booklet and sneak peek DVD that reveals further details about the forthcoming release of the Ben-Hur: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, its pack-in collectibles and its bountiful supplemental package. The 3-disc Blu-ray edition is set to arrive this fall in limited quantities and numbered for exclusivity, although an exact release date has yet to be announced.

Update: Amazon is now accepting pre-orders. The cost of the Ultimate Collector's Edition set is currently $44.99. It has also been revealed that the film and special features are spread across three Blu-ray discs; two for the feature film and one for the supplemental content.

As first reported in March, the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Ben-Hur will feature a newly minted frame-by-frame restoration created from the original 65mm camera negative at a resolution of 6K; effectively achieving six times the resolution of the previous DVD release. The results, at least as teased in the following before/after comparison photographs, are promising:

<Quoted Image Removed>

A variety of special features will be spread across the Blu-ray edition's three BD-50 discs, chief among them Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey, an all-new, feature length, high-definition documentary that chronicling Heston's life while filming Ben-Hur. It not only includes a wealth of behind-the-scenes content, it also includes rare home movie footage from the Heston family.

<Quoted Image Removed>

In an interview with Christianity Today, Fraser Heston, Charlton Heston's now 56-year-old son, says: "My earliest memory was of my dad coming home in his chariot driver's outfit. I think I assumed he was a professional charioteer. I remember him bringing sand from the Roman arena for my sandbox, and being told this was not just any sand. It was MGM sand!" He continues, "We recently produced a film about my dad called Charlton Heston & Ben-Hur: A Personal Journey. In it, we used a lot of 16mm footage that my mom took. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff of Dad driving the chariot around and me in it. It's pretty cool."

Other special features, most of which have been made available in previous releases of the film, include:

Ben-Hur, A Journey Through Pictures: An audiovisual re-creation assembled using stills, storyboards, sketches, music, dialogue and other archive materials
    Ben Hur: The 1925 Silent Film
    2005 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Epic That Changed Cinema
    1994 Documentary, Ben-Hur: The Making of an Epic
    Original Screen Tests
    Vintage Newsreel Gallery
    Highlights from the 4/4/60 Academy Awards Ceremony
    Theatrical Trailer Gallery

<Quoted Image Removed>

The Ultimate Collector's Edition also offers filmfans two collectible books in a three-tier collector's case. The first book, "Charlton Heston: The Ben-Hur Diaries" is the most intriguing. An exclusive look into the Oscar-winning actor's experience while making the award-winning film, this high-quality reproduction of Charlton Heston's personal and insightful diary documents events that occurred from January 1958 through April 1960; from a time before production of the film begain all the way through Heston's Oscar win. The book includes personal photos from the Heston family and some of Heston's own sketches.

<Quoted Image Removed>

The second exclusive book is a more traditional pack-in that features rare photographs, production art and reproductions from the original theatrical press book.

<Quoted Image Removed>

Ben-Hur won a record-setting eleven Academy Awards, among them Best Picture (producer Sam Zimbalist), Best Director (William Wyler), Best Actor (Charlton Heston), Best Supporting Actor (Hugh Griffith), Best Color Cinematography (Robert L. Surtees), Best Film Editing (Ralph E. Winters and John D. Dunning), Best Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Miklos Rozsa), Best Color Art Direction and Set Decoration (William A. Horning, Edward Carfagno and Hugh Hunt), Best Sound (Franklin E. Milton, MGM Studio Sound Department) and Best Special Effects (A. Arnold Gillespie, Robert MacDonald and Milo Lory).

recieved it recently, finally bought it in the US

Survivre avec les loups

this is a VERY GOOD MOVIE

why do I like this one? because it's a combination of lots of things:

*WWII
*love and affection between human and animals
*showing an unshown aspect of war in movies: hunger
*showing the aftermath of war
and more

and what a perfomance of such a young girl Mathilde Goffart

bought the Blu-Ray version on Amazon cheap
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 3 December 2011, 21:54:37 »
ReplyReply

danger copycat alert  danger

The Town - average movie

clear copy of

Heat - excellent movie!

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 10 September 2012, 18:36:24 »
ReplyReply

ATTENTION PLZ  champ

Lawrence of Arabia

celebrates its 50th birthday with an excellent BluRay release

Box Set includes:

88 page Coffee Table Book: With rare behind-the-scenes photos
        70mm Film Frame: Individually numbered
        3 Blu-ray Discs: Includes feature film and special features with new Blu-ray exclusives
        Soundtrack CD: With 2 previously un-released tracks and original score from the film

AND it's back in a select bunch of theaters!!!!!!!

Pages:  1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44448132 | Sitemap