25 April 2024, 15:18:05 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Motion Picture thread, another endless topic  (Read 37265 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 October 2010, 22:02:31 »
ReplyReply

Very strong movie, impressed!

IMDB

8/10

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2010, 22:04:53 »
ReplyReply

pfew....heavy stuff...got both of us nailed in our seats...

IMDB

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 1 November 2010, 18:09:19 »
ReplyReply

Paranormal Activity

IMDB

can't tell too much since I don't wanna spoil the 'fun'.... it's a well-climaxed movie.... it's slow in the beginning but things move on, get faster (without going out of control) and come to an end (you will remember the end... be asured)

I also advice not to go watch any trailer, you should see it without any pre-information... unless that it IS a movie to watch....

Do not expect a horrormovie, do not expect a hack-n-slash movie.... it's a movie with tension, one that makes you sit in your seat never knowing what will follow, how it will end... and that gives it points when compared to other movies

other people will probably disagree and I won't watch it over and over like some other movies but in a time where most movies are 90% the same, we movielovers, can use movies like this one!
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 3 November 2010, 21:17:08 »
ReplyReply

a special one!

due to things from the past I find it difficult to express feelings....

well, you try watch this movie and keep your eyes dry.... I couldn't, almost cried my eyes out  cry... it is a man/dog movie and I'm an animal/doglover so that didn't help...

movie info: IMDB
story info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachiko

Hachik? (Huh??, November 10, 1923–March 8, 1935), known in Japanese as ch?ken Hachik? (Huh?Huh?, "faithful dog Hachik?" ('hachi' meaning 'eight', a number referring to the dog's birth order in the litter, and 'k?,' meaning prince or duke)), was an Akita dog born on a farm near the city of ?date, Akita Prefecture, remembered for his loyalty to his owner, even many years after his owner's death.
In 1924, Hidesabur? Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo took in Hachik? as a pet. During his owner's life Hachik? greeted him at the end of the day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return. The professor had suffered from a cerebral hemorrhage and died, never returning to the train station where his friend was waiting. Every day for the next nine years Hachik? waited at Shibuya station.
Hachik? was given away after his master's death, but he routinely escaped, returning again and again to his old home. Eventually, Hachik? apparently realized that Professor Ueno no longer lived at the house. So he went to look for his master at the train station where he had accompanied him so many times before. Each day, Hachik? waited for the return of his owner.
The permanent fixture at the train station that was Hachik? attracted the attention of other commuters. Many of the people who frequented the Shibuya train station had seen Hachik? and Professor Ueno together each day. They brought Hachik? treats and food to nourish him during his wait.
This continued for nine years with Hachik? appearing precisely when the train was due at the station.

That same year, one[who?] of Ueno's students (who had become an amateur expert on the Akita breed) saw the dog at the station and followed him to the Kobayashi home (the home of the former gardener of Professor Ueno — Kikuzaboro Kobayashi) where he learned the history of Hachik?'s life. Shortly after this meeting, the former student published a documented census of Akitas in Japan. His research found only 30 purebred Akitas remaining, including Hachik? from Shibuya Station.
He returned frequently to visit the dog and over the years published several articles about Hachik?'s remarkable loyalty. In 1932 one of these articles, published in Tokyo Asahi Shimbun, threw the dog into the national spotlight. Hachik? became a national sensation. His faithfulness to his master's memory impressed the people of Japan as a spirit of family loyalty all should strive to achieve. Teachers and parents used Hachik?'s vigil as an example for children to follow. A well-known Japanese artist rendered a sculpture of the dog, and throughout the country a new awareness of the Akita breed grew.
Eventually, Hachiko's legendary faithfulness became a national symbol of loyalty.

Hachik? died on March 8, 1935 and was found on a street in Shibuya. His heart was infected with filarial worms and 3-4 yakitori sticks were found in his stomach.

His stuffed and mounted remains are kept at the National Science Museum of Japan in Ueno, Tokyo.

In April 1934, a bronze statue in his likeness was erected at Shibuya Station (35°39?32.6?N 139°42?2.1?E? / ?35.659056°N 139.700583°E? / 35.659056; 139.700583), and Hachik? himself was present at its unveiling. The statue was recycled for the war effort during World War II. In 1948 The Society for Recreating the Hachik? Statue commissioned Takeshi Ando, son of the original artist who had since died, to make a second statue. The new statue, which was erected in August 1948, still stands and is an extremely popular meeting spot. The station entrance near this statue is named "Hachik?-guchi", meaning "The Hachik? Exit", and is one of Shibuya Station's five exits.
The Japan Times played a practical joke on readers by reporting that the bronze statue was stolen a little before 2AM on April 1, 2007, by "suspected metal thieves". The false story told a very detailed account of an elaborate theft by men wearing khaki workers' uniforms who secured the area with orange safety cones and obscured the theft with blue vinyl tarps. The "crime" was allegedly recorded on security cameras.
A similar statue stands in Hachik?'s hometown, in front of ?date Station. In 2004, a new statue of Hachik? was erected on the original stone pedestal from Shibuya in front of the Akita Dog Museum in Odate.

Each year on April 8, Hachik?'s devotion is honored with a solemn ceremony of remembrance at Tokyo's Shibuya railroad station. Hundreds of dog lovers often turn out to honor his memory and loyalty.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale - Behind the Scenes with Richard Gere

Hatchi: A Dog's Tale trailer
« Last Edit: 3 November 2010, 21:24:36 by Koen » Logged
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2010, 18:59:38 »
ReplyReply

Midnight Express (IMDB)

consider this as a movieclassic, based on true story

1978... yep, THAT old  hihi

I watched it again and was impressed by the strong acting, I saw it before but that was a loooooooooong time ago

Midnight Express Trailer

some fine acting by Brad Davis (died at 41 in 1991), John Hurt and Paul L. Smith as the bad guy (one of the best bad guys I've seen on the screen)
Midnight Express - authoritarian policeman

Giorgio Moroder ? Chase (theme from Midnight Express)

music by Giorgio Moroder

recommended!
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2 January 2011, 13:07:24 »
ReplyReply

French prisonmovie... good and realistic... no herostuff

Un prophète

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/

A Prophet (Un Prophete) - Official Trailer [HD]
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 3 January 2011, 19:33:18 »
ReplyReply

War of the Worlds 2005 (IMDB)

I'm a big fan of the 'War of the Worlds', for you that doesn't know what it's all about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Worlds ... DO read it!
The War of the Worlds (1898) is a science fiction novel by H. G. Wells. It describes the experiences of an unnamed narrator who travels through the suburbs of London as the Earth is invaded by Martians. It is the earliest story that details a conflict between mankind and an alien race.
The War of the Worlds is split into two parts, Book one: The Coming of the Martians, and Book two: The Earth under the Martians. The novel is narrated by a writer of philosophical articles who throughout the narrative struggles to reunite with his wife, while witnessing the Martians rampaging through the southern English counties. Part one also features the tale of his brother, who accompanies two women to the coast in the hope of escaping England as it is invaded.
The plot has been related to invasion literature of the time. The novel has been variously interpreted as a commentary on evolutionary theory, British imperialism, and generally Victorian fears and prejudices. At the time of publication it was classified as a scientific romance, like his earlier novel The Time Machine. Since then, it has influenced much literature and other media, spawning several films, radio dramas, comic book adaptations, a television series, and sequels or parallel stories by other authors. It also influenced the real-life work of scientists, notably the rocket scientist Robert H. Goddard who developed practical techniques for interplanetary travel.

I own these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Worlds-7-disc-Collectors/dp/B0009MA932

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeff-Waynes-Worlds-30th-Anniversary/dp/B001D1F8QG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294075619&sr=1-1
& the 'War of the Worlds 30th anniversary' alive on stage 2DVD + book

I now need to get the original movies: https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Worlds-Special-DVD/dp/B000AAF9V0/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1294075619&sr=1-8

now back to the Spielberg/Cruise version:

I got the Blu-Ray version as gift and I was positively surprised!
I saw the movie once before and I think my expectations were too high...
This Blu-Ray version is TOP!
This is really a movie that deserves Blu-Ray with a good TV!

War Of The Worlds HD 1080p Trailer - 2005
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 3 January 2011, 20:53:07 »
ReplyReply

a great actor died: Pete Postlethwaite

one of the actors who act great but are not well-known

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Postlethwaite
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000592/

Rest in Peace  salute

edit: he deserves a video on WaT  salute

Pete Postlethwaite dies aged 64
« Last Edit: 5 January 2011, 21:07:14 by Koen » Logged
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 February 2011, 13:08:17 »
ReplyReply

Alexander Revisited
The Final Cut

IMDB

Next to collecting War movies I also like those long historical ones.
So when I could buy this 'final' version on Blu-Ray for 10€ I went for it.

I knew that the movie did not turn into a great success and that the reviews were mixed. Seems that Colin Farrell has strong pro and contra fans in most of his movies.
First of all you need to take your time for this one, it's playtime is an overwhelming 214' or 3h34' !!!

As said before, these kinds of movies definitely need Blu-Ray! This is a good Blu-Ray, not the best but still good. Colours and details are detailed altough a negative side of Blu-Ray is that you see EVERYTHING in detail.
So I noticed that the boats in the harbour during the first minutes are CGI and had strange waterlines. Also that the dog at the balcony was laying in different poses when switching from cameraview.

Battlescenes are impressive and bloody and do show tactics on the battlefield. The Battle of Gaugemela is breathtaking and I wouldn't complain if it got an even longer playtime in the movie!
Acting? Well, first there's Colin Farrell and that's a special one, he seems to draw the attention away from the story in the movies he plays. In this case he IS the movie so it's not such a big deal.
Agelina Jolie looks great and plays the wicked mother/witch well.
Anthony Hopkins is the storyteller and his voice (next to his performance) is excellent for this job.

So, overall:
the movie is ok, not one of the best but ok
the story is better
the action scenes are great

do watch it but don't expect too much

review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alexander-Revisited-Blu-ray/287/#Review

Alexander Revisited: The Final Cut trailer
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2011, 20:50:02 »
ReplyReply

guys, please tell me this:

am I the only one who watches movies?
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 18 April 2011, 21:40:27 »
ReplyReply

We probably do but not so much.
btw War of the Worlds from 1955 has another earlier remake.....Independence Day.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 April 2011, 23:31:28 »
ReplyReply

Koen, I watch a LOT of movies - but mostly not ones that have just come out.

I like to sit around at home and put on a double feature.

Today I am watching

THE OUTFIT + BESTSELLER

last Friday it was

THE FOURTH PROTOCOL + NO WAY OUT.

If Life gives you Lemons, Burn Them.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 April 2011, 17:38:32 »
ReplyReply

Koen, I watch a LOT of movies - but mostly not ones that have just come out.

I like to sit around at home and put on a double feature.

Today I am watching

THE OUTFIT + BESTSELLER

last Friday it was

THE FOURTH PROTOCOL + NO WAY OUT.

ALL movies are welcome with a review/intro, I recently saw Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037366/) which I found a GREAT movie!

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo - Trailer (1944)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 April 2011, 20:03:27 »
ReplyReply

nice pack for nice price: amazon

The Doomsday Collection [Blu-ray] - £15.93
Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 3 May 2011, 03:22:25 »
ReplyReply

As I continue to work through the back-catalogue of movies that I somehow missed in spite of many nights in front of the TV until dawn, I just got to

THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR (1975)

Yul Brynner, Max von Sydow, Joanna Miles.

Like most people, I've watched lots of post-apocalypse movies - some were dreadful.

I don't mind the really over-the-top stuff, but it was refreshing to see a Nasty Future movie that played so understated and grimly realistic.

There are no big speeches in this flick - everyone is far too involved in surviving to waste time talking.

Great NYC location - the opening title sequence rivals THE OMEGA MAN in its scenes of a deserted New York - including the empty WTC buildings - as the date '2012' rolls up the screen.

Max von Sydow is the leader of a small group of survivors that have barricaded off a city block in downtown Manhattan, and are trying to grow some vegetables, while repelling attacks from nearby predatory street gangs...

Yul Brynner is the wandering fighter that von Sydow needs to help him defend his little patch.

Brynner is great in this, showing off his incredible athleticism, and bringing as much depth to his character as the very quickly moving, non-verbose script allows.

Von Sydow is also fantastic - but then, he is always watchable.

Director Robert Clouse - who also wrote the script -  made two great Bruce Lee movies: ENTER THE DRAGON and GAME OF DEATH, and the fight scenes in THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR  are expertly done - simple, brutal and realistic, as Brynner's knife-wielding 'Carson' character dispatches attackers with Seagal-like efficiency.

Very interesting little film, this - a classic example of 'hard sci-fi' on the screen.

Footnote: this film is also sometimes known as THE BARONY.

Director Clouse (1928-1997) was apparently completely deaf, and used his assistant directors to verify that the actors had delivered their lines properly....this may account for the quite simple dialogue in the film, which works really well in the context of the very grim world the protagonists inhabit.

Max von Sydow makes Yul Brynner an offer:

The Ultimate Warrior (Favorite Scene (1).avi

Yul Brynner earns his extra food ration:

The Ultimate Warrior (Fight Scene In Old Bakery).avi

Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 3 May 2011, 03:24:23 »
ReplyReply

The Mighty Stoffel wrote:

"I think I saw this movie some years ago.
Isnt it the one where Brynner has to fight in a metro train, losing his arm?"

It is the very same....  )

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 May 2011, 20:09:51 »
ReplyReply

Horrible Bosses Trailer 2011 HD

looks cool  Brede lach
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2011, 18:30:25 »
ReplyReply

highly recommended: Troubled Water

strongly recommended: CRAZY HEART

recommended, quite surprising movie: Possession
Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 June 2011, 04:17:47 »
ReplyReply

I just watched HANCOCK (2008) in which Will Smith plays a Superhero with a drinking problem.

I really wanted to like this movie: I'm a big fan of director Peter Berg, both as a maker of films - his VERY BAD THINGS (1998) is one of my all-time favourites - and as an actor - he was Dr Billy Kronk in 'Chicago Hope'.

Unfortunately, HANCOCK is a great idea that doesn't quite make it as a movie, in spite of some funny stuff involving superhero powers and the the presence of the always-watchable Charlize Theron.

Trailer:

Hancock Trailer

The concept is great: a superhero that has behavioral problems and consequently isn't too popular.

Unfortunately, the execution of the idea falters, even in the first half, when it's meant to be funny.

When we get to the film's second half, when Hancock's story takes a turn towards tragedy, the whole thing kind of falls apart: not only is the transition from funny to sad poorly realized, but the movie as a whole is very uneven, and never quite seems to know where it's going.

Is it worth watching? Yes.

Is it a good movie?

Well, no.

I give it 3 out of 5.

Cranky
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 June 2011, 04:18:59 »
ReplyReply

And then, the night before last, I went out and saw Werner Herzog's new film CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS, which is screening as part of the Sydney Film Festival.

Chauvet Cave in France was re-discovered by archaeologists in 1994, and contains rock art from the Paleolithic - more than 30,000 years ago.

Herzog and his team were recently permitted to film inside the cave, using only the most non-intrusive lights and cameras.

Trailer:

Cave of Forgotten Dreams trailer

Amazing stuff - and it was in 3D!  (glasses supplied).

Like all Herzog's films - THE ENIGMA OF KASPAR HAUSER, AGUIRRE WRATH OF GOD, FITZCARRALDO, GRIZZLY MAN - this one is anything but straightforward: it's not just a documentary record of incredible cave art, but contains as well various musings and oddball moments that are typically Herzogian.

Highly recommended.

Here's info about the cave:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauvet_cave

Those interested in the subject might enjoy reading Graham Hancock's book 'Supernatural', which proposes a very interesting theory to account for the sudden appearance in prehistory of technically brilliant and emotionally powerful rock art.

http://www.amazon.com/Sup...id=1307931143&sr=1-1

Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44538962 | Sitemap