5 May 2024, 15:35:41 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Soccer Anyone? (The neverending soccer thread)  (Read 84379 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: 28 April 2010, 18:23:31 »
ReplyReply

I saw bayern last night, and they had not much trouble with those french guys Knipoog

Van Gaal is doing well again Smiley

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: 28 April 2010, 22:44:49 »
ReplyReply

well.... as so often I was wrong with my bet Smiley

Barca vs. Inter 1:0 (2:3 aggregated).

What a disaster for soccer, Inter did not make one attack the whole match and was defending with 9, but then OTOH Barca didn´t score enough versus 10, though playing impressively as always (and with a great goal from Piquets).

The myth holds, nobody wins the Champions twice in a row...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 29 April 2010, 00:14:30 »
ReplyReply

well.... as so often I was wrong with my bet Smiley

Barca vs. Inter 1:0 (2:3 aggregated).

What a disaster for soccer, Inter did not make one attack the whole match and was defending with 9, but then OTOH Barca didn´t score enough versus 10, though playing impressively as always (and with a great goal from Piquets).

The myth holds, nobody wins the Champions twice in a row...

Rattler

sad to hear....I was off to 'Within Temptation' live so couldn't see the match
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 29 May 2010, 23:35:33 »
ReplyReply

All Whites in upset win over Serbia

Any chance the All Whites had of flying under the radar heading into the World Cup has been blown out of the water with one their greatest wins on the international stage.

A first-half strike from Shane Smeltz has inspired the All Whites, ranked 78th in the world, to a 1-0 upset victory over world number 15 Serbia in a friendly at the Worthersee Stadium in Klagenfurt, Austria, this morning.

Serbia, touted as dark horses for the World Cup and a team All Whites coach Ricki Herbert believed would test his side more than any of the three teams they will face in South Africa, fielded no less than six English Premier League players while the rest of their squad was made of up players who ply their trade in the top leagues in Spain, Italy and Germany.

But New Zealand looked every bit their equal as their stocks continue to rise on the international stage with what really was a stunning upset, and one which will make headlines around the world.

Just four years ago, New Zealand scored their first ever win on European soil, a 3-1 victory over Georgia, who were ranked about 100 in the world. Herbert hailed that result as one of his proudest moments, but it will pale in comparison to this.

Sure, it was a friendly, but New Zealand will now go to the World Cup with expectations of possibly winning a match on current form.

They were impressive for 60 minutes in the 2-1 loss to Australia but this morning, they looked composed and confident at the top level for 90 minutes.

Serbia, who are in the same group as Australia at the World Cup, were missing two of their top midfielders, Liverpool's Milan Jovanovic and their captain, Dejan Stankovic, of Inter Milan, but it should be remembered the All Whites were without four of their starters from Melbourne.

Such was the frustration of the Serbian fans, they started throwing flares and other objects onto the pitch as the game drew to a close and stand-in captain Nemaja Vidic, the Manchester United defender, was forced to grab a microphone in an attempt to placate them.

New Zealand built the win on their aerial strength up front, led by Rory Fallon, while the midfielders worked tirelessly to break down Serbian raids and the back three of Ryan Nelsen, Winston Reid and Tommy Smith looked comfortable aside from the odd moment in the second half.

Ad Feedback

Serbia had the better of the opening exchanges as the All Whites gave away possession cheaply and were forced to defend deeper than they would have liked.

But their goal was never really threatened in the first half despite some neat short passing from the Serbs and the aerial threat of Birmingham City striker Nikola Zigic, who at more than 2m towered even over New Zealand's own tall timber in Fallon.

Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Nenad Milijas had the first real chance of the game in the 18th minute but his shot from near the edge of the box flashed well wide of goalkeeper Mark Paston's goal.

That appeared to provide a spark for the All Whites who started to look more confident on the ball and push players forward.

And four minutes later, with their first chance of the game, they struck.

Reid provided the long ball into Fallon, who won the ball ahead of Vidic and flicked the ball onto Smeltz at the far post. The A-League's golden boot cut inside Antonia Rukavina with ease and slotted the ball past Wigan Athletic goalkeeper Vladimir Stojkovic, sending the stopper the wrong way before running to the corner post to celebrate.

It was Smeltz's 18th goal at international level but his first in almost a year.

And he almost had a double two minutes later, denied from close range after Stojkovic had blocked a goal-bound Fallon drive into Smeltz's path.

Noticeably, New Zealand's confidence grew after the goal while Serbia, as Australia had six days earlier, looked rattled when they fell behind with players showing signs of frustration.

Still,  they should have equalised after 38 minutes when Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic found himself with a free header at the far post but he failed to get the ball on target and watched a chance go begging.

New Zealand took a 1-0 lead into halftime against a top 20-ranked team for the second time in a week and given the way Serbia came out after the break, it looked as though they might struggle to hold on again.

But although the "White Eagles" got good numbers forward and started to find holes in behind the defence, a combination of a lack of composure and gritty All Whites defending ensured New Zealand preserved their lead.

Zigic had an opportunity in the 63rd minute but a desperate tackle from Reid made what would have been a simple tap-in a tougher proposition, and Paston produced a good save.

New Zealand had a couple of half chances, both created through their obvious aerial strength that could test a few sides at the World Cup, but they didn't threaten Stojkovic in the second half till, with 10 minutes remaining, Jeremy Brockie, a substitute for striker Chris Wood, had a clear shot on goal but scuffed his left-foot shot into the side netting.

It didn't matter. New Zealand held their nerve in the final minutes to record one of their great wins.

SCOREBOARD

New Zealand 1 (Shane Smeltz 22)

Serbia 0

H/T: 1- 0

All Whites (3-4-3): Mark Paston, Winston Reid, Ryan Nelsen, Tommy Smith, Simon Elliott, Jeremy Christie, Leo Bertos, Tony Lochhead, Chris Wood (Jeremy Brockie 61), Rory Fallon, Shane Smeltz.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-cup/all-whites/3754860/All-Whites-in-upset-win-over-Serbia

**************************************************************************************************************
Ok I have two questions about this:

1)  When did New Zealand get a soccer team?
2)  Why is Serbia so bad?

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: 30 May 2010, 04:26:15 »
ReplyReply

I watched Ryan Nelsen play for DC United a few times.  He was a good player even back then.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: 30 May 2010, 19:33:40 »
ReplyReply

Serbia has a bad name in the soccer world.
Racisme, racial comments by players and very, very bad fauls commited by some of the players.
And of course the war fought in Jugoslavia which wasnt to good from the Serbian site.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: 31 May 2010, 21:16:32 »
ReplyReply

Belarus 1-0 South Korea.
A very poor showing after some rather good performances by South Korea.
Hopefully things will improve by the next match.
Belarus played a very physical game for a friendly and injuries are mounting on the South Korea squad Bedroefd

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: 31 May 2010, 21:56:07 »
ReplyReply

Would be nice to see North and South Korea in the quarterfinals Knipoog
I wonder if South Africa will add extra security in that stdium Knipoog
Maybe  we get 2 or 3 referees with bodyarmor and M16 too Smiley

the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 4 June 2010, 22:15:44 »
ReplyReply

I don't think any of those two teams will make it that far.

Anyone watch Spain vs South Korea?
Not a bad match... but the South Korean players need to string those basic passes better.  They made some very silly mistakes.  Both sides fielded under full strength sides at least initially.  Both sides had good chances to score.  I don't think there's a goalkeeper in the world that could have saved the Spanish goal that went in.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: 5 June 2010, 00:05:05 »
ReplyReply

I don't think any of those two teams will make it that far.

Anyone watch Spain vs South Korea?
Not a bad match... but the South Korean players need to string those basic passes better.  They made some very silly mistakes.  Both sides fielded under full strength sides at least initially.  Both sides had good chances to score.  I don't think there's a goalkeeper in the world that could have saved the Spanish goal that went in.

Corrrect on the "Golazo" (Spanish for "GREAT goal", we add either a magnifying or minifying silable to the original word - "gol" in this case - to say it is big/great or small/unworthy: "-azo/a" or "-on" makes it *big/great*, "-ito/a" or  "illo/a" makes it small) of the first time player Jesus Navas, nobody could have got that one (see 16 scs into the vid, from 24 metres, listen to the "goal singer" from sec 24 to 34... Smiley ):

España VS Corea del Sur Gol de Jesus Navas 1-0 Partido Amistoso Friendly Match

OTOH, with this setup Spain is -while a big favorite - not going to win the championship, and it is a trainer thingy:

It seems Vincent Del Bosque (translates to "Winnie from the woods") gets bored by what made the Spanish National team win the European championship: Fast circulation of the ball in short passes while keeping possession (we call that "tiki-taka"), waiting patiently for the chance of the decisive pass into the depth, usually through the center (basically Barcelonas style. Not surprising if you see that the midfield is composed of the "Barcelona Block" Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets, all players with vision and a superb capacity of ball control, imprescindable if you want to play short, fast and *hard* passes on first touch).

So, and as his time in Madrid he made his titles going for the extremes and fast lateral wing backs (Roberto Carlos and Figo in his time) and a precise center he always tries forms to go for this more conventional style, yesterday was an example for this: Navas is the fast wingback model "par excellence", the idea is to make the game broader and so make for "holes" in the defense.

The problem with this is that the team has trained 8 years for the other style (you could see it yesterday: The wingbacks where running, the others watched and waited; in the fast short pass style everybody has to be - and gets - involved, everybody is moving), and are not prepared for fast wingers, the Spanish are too small to use the centers in the box internationally, all norther teams win there by cenimeters in height.

Fine to have a plan "B" ready, but I believe Del Bosque should not let our chance to win a WC slip because of being obsessed with result instead of style. This team is made for posession through short passes, the other ideas won´t work, I fear (even if we won yesterday, the SK team got the better of us during the time where their pressure could be kept up - some 65 minutes - because only half of the Spanish team is involved with this system).

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: 5 June 2010, 00:42:28 »
ReplyReply

Not a good sign for Spain at all since Park Ji-sung wasn't playing and he's the main midfield engine, especially for the attack.  Also, goal poacher Lee Dong-guk was also absent and ball winning midfielder Kim Nam-il didn't play in the first half.  Park Ju-yeong was alone up top and he's not a striker by any means.
Glad South Korea sorted out their right back problem.  That had plagued us for years since Song Jung-guk completely and permanently fell out of form.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: 8 June 2010, 23:06:31 »
ReplyReply

Ouch...

It has happened again:

In the friendly against Poland (w3her the mister put up the standard "A" team)  Iniesta again got a muscular lesion, out for 2 weeks minimum (i.e. league round of the WC).

As he is one of the three key players for the "Barcelona style" mid field (Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets), maybe Del Bosque did well to prepare a "Plan B"....

OTOH, until quarters, even w/o Iniesta we can win easily playing Barcelona style (EDIT: As you can see, two more goals to 4:0 w/o Iniesta, against an adversary who is not simply a puppet or sparring partner, but a serious soccer team).

Rattler
« Last Edit: 8 June 2010, 23:15:39 by Rattler » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 9 June 2010, 18:13:06 »
ReplyReply

Ouch...

It has happened again:

In the friendly against Poland (w3her the mister put up the standard "A" team)  Iniesta again got a muscular lesion, out for 2 weeks minimum (i.e. league round of the WC).

As he is one of the three key players for the "Barcelona style" mid field (Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets), maybe Del Bosque did well to prepare a "Plan B"....

OTOH, until quarters, even w/o Iniesta we can win easily playing Barcelona style (EDIT: As you can see, two more goals to 4:0 w/o Iniesta, against an adversary who is not simply a puppet or sparring partner, but a serious soccer team).

Rattler

LOTS of mishaps these 2 last weeks, many with injuries, how is that possible?
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: 13 June 2010, 01:56:58 »
ReplyReply

Great day  Grijns

South Korea 2-0 Greece.
It should have been an even bigger goal difference but the referee was on drugs.  Still, our guys managed to have enough character to score two nice goals and prevent the Greeks from doing the same.

Argentina 1-0 Nigeria.
Since everyone's expecting Argentina to top the group, the three way battle for 2nd spot is between South Korea, Greece and Nigeria so it's a good thing that the Nigerians didn't get any points today.

USA 1-1 England.
USA USA USA  Grijns

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: 14 June 2010, 15:26:03 »
ReplyReply

We have our first 3 points as well.
Allthough you could see the players were a bit nervous.
However with a little help from the Danes everything went well...2-0 champ

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 14 June 2010, 17:41:39 »
ReplyReply

We have our first 3 points as well.
Allthough you could see the players were a bit nervous.
However with a little help from the Danes everything went well...2-0 champ

guys, we have our own WC2010 topic  champ:

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/the-lounge-get-a-beer-go-off-topic/they-needed-12-official-south-africa-wc-2010-thread/msg14469/#msg14469
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: 24 June 2010, 16:37:43 »
ReplyReply

Anyway, SK made it, and deserved it!

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 16 October 2010, 10:29:27 »
ReplyReply

Goal Cristiano Ronaldo - Iceland vs Portugal 1-3 | EuroCup 2012 Ratings

'Ronny' has been practicing with 'the wall' being to close...
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: 16 October 2010, 12:39:30 »
ReplyReply

So, they beat the big soccer nation Iceland finally....  champ

Looks like they are starting to fare better over there... Smiley

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 19 October 2010, 20:49:14 »
ReplyReply

now on TV: Champions League:
Real Madrid - AC Milan

any ideas, bets?  champ

update 45': RM 2-0 Milan  champ

woowww.... this is not the Madrid I've seen in their last games on TV... Ronaldo and Ozil seem to work great as a team  waa
Pages:  1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44699814 | Sitemap