29 April 2024, 07:01:00 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Snippets, memories  (Read 34504 times)
Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 29 September 2009, 21:43:28 »
ReplyReply

Girls are always attracted to the "bad boys", all the nice guys finish last. and then they come complaining afterwards. I know, i'm speaking from experience Knipoog :p

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 29 September 2009, 21:49:56 »
ReplyReply

I'm all done with   bad boys.  Now I like the good guys, who know how to act 'bad' once in a while.     Tong

*wink*

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 29 September 2009, 21:51:41 »
ReplyReply

I see that everyone is avoiding the real question here:  Do men like the good girls or the bad ones?  hmm...

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 29 September 2009, 22:09:03 »
ReplyReply

I see that everyone is avoiding the real question here:  Do men like the good girls or the bad ones?  hmm...

I like the ones who are both and more...
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 29 September 2009, 22:11:44 »
ReplyReply

I see.  I think this subject need more in depth discussion.  And this is the perfect forum for this subject to be discussed!

I'm truly interested to know, what it is that men look for in a woman.  I'm probably as confused about this as many women are.  I'll start a new thread on it though if that's okay?

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 29 September 2009, 22:12:50 »
ReplyReply

I see.  I think this subject need more in depth discussion.  And this is the perfect forum for this subject to be discussed!

I'm truly interested to know, what it is that men look for in a woman.  I'm probably as confused about this as many women are.  I'll start a new thread on it though if that's okay?

ok
Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 30 September 2009, 18:36:47 »
ReplyReply

I like good and nice girls, but they have to be naughty in bed :p
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: 30 September 2009, 19:38:53 »
ReplyReply

Mike,  the girls must be all over you.  All those nurses and the wild parties they have....my sister is a nurse and she certainly has some stories to tell!       Grijns

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 30 September 2009, 21:24:48 »
ReplyReply

Mike,  the girls must be all over you.  All those nurses and the wild parties they have....my sister is a nurse and she certainly has some stories to tell!       Grijns

Might have a point there: In German we have a saying: "Geil, geiler, Krankenschwester" which basically translates to "Horny, hornier, nurse"... Smiley

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 30 September 2009, 23:59:34 »
ReplyReply

We'll be expecting young Mike to come back with some glowing reports in the very near future.   hihi

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 1 October 2009, 08:13:20 »
ReplyReply

Might have a point there: In German we have a saying: "Geil, geiler, Krankenschwester" which basically translates to "Horny, hornier, nurse"... Smiley

Rattler

the fact is that when you later go to a hospital as patient those hotties are nowhere around...it's some badass old nurse who shoots her darts from 2 meters distance in your S  reddevil
Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 1 October 2009, 16:01:01 »
ReplyReply

hahahahaha yeah, we are a pretty wild bunch :p but unfortunatly not in my class. The other 2 classes are much more fun and wilder, it sucks :p

anyway in januari i'm going to work in a hospital for a few weeks, we'll see what happens. Knipoog

@ Jilly: the girls are not all over me, I am not a good looking guy :p
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 1 October 2009, 16:41:57 »
ReplyReply

I'm sure you're just being modest, Mike.  You seem like a great guy.  Don't forget we want a full report at the end of the year.      Cool

Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 1 October 2009, 16:47:42 »
ReplyReply

Back on topic...

Skip forward another few years,  and I'm living in the Vancouver area.

VANCOUVER TO THE OKANAGAN:

I live in the East now, but I spent some years living on the West Coast (of Canada). This story is about a journey I took, in order to move from the Vancouver area to the Okanagan.

I decided that the city life wasn't for me after all and decided to move back to the Okanagan. Not only that but it was a much better place for my kids, now aged 5 and 1. I knew the area well, and had always loved it. It's the warmest place in Canada, with Osoyoos having the only pocket desert in this country. Not to mention the beautiful mountains, lakes and orchards that this area is so well known for.

The West coast is very rainy, and this particular year it had been raining more than usual. It was nearing the end of November and I had given in my notice to leave at the townhouse complex that I was living in. I hated living there, although it had all the amenities that most people could want, there were so many negative things about the neighbourhood and area in general.

I had only recently given up my trusty little Honda car for a larger Pontiac. The reason being that once I had decided to make this journey, I knew that my little Standard car may not make it over the sometimes treacherous and snowy mountains that I would have to drive through. The weather channels gave out all the warnings about not traveling in the rain storms, and especially not attempting to cross the mountains in such bad weather. But I'm too stubborn for my own good and knew that I would go anyway, the only thing that would stop me would be if they actually closed the roads down, and so far they were still open.

So I left that morning, packed up my car, and my two little kids and hoped for the best. I had done this route before quite a few times, so I knew the roads well. The rain kept on falling, it was bad, it wasn't letting up, and I knew that as much as it rained on the West side of the mountains the more it would snow on the mountains themselves. It was too late to turn back now, so I kept on going.

I noticed that the road was not only very slippery, but large puddles of water lay in some dips and areas which sprayed the car every time we went through them. We were in the mountains now, but not at such a high altitude that that there was any snow at the moment, just the continuous rain. This is a drive that in the summer can be very pleasant and fun to do, but now it looked anything but. To make things worse it looked like everyone seemed to have followed the warnings and stayed put, we were one of a very few vehicles that were actually passing through this area. The others were truckers with huge semi's that thundered past trying to get to their destination before they closed the roads down left and right. The road was getting very difficult to drive on and the visibility was very poor as well, I wondered how I managed to get myself into this, but knew I only had myself to blame.

I had been the only vehicle on this road for a long time, so was surprised to see a big semi-truck directly behind me. He was coming up way too fast, and worse he kept on driving at that speed, it seemed he was but inches from my tail. I started to drive faster, trying hopelessly to get away from him. 'What is he playing at?' I asked myself, this is all I need, a crazed out trucker on my back. He didn't let up and kept close enough to me that I knew if I slowed down at all, he would have no chance of slowing down to avoid me and would crash into me. I thought about my kids and wondered how I could have been stupid enough to put myself in this situation is the first place.

I decided to make a move, I drove on to the muddy hard shoulder, hoping he would be able to just drive past me, but first I made sure that I wasn't going to simply fall off the mountain, luckily the fall didn't look too bad, worst case scenario I would only fall around 10 feet down. Unfortunately I was going at too high a speed to safely stop on the muddy, socked hard shoulder, and did fall into the 10 foot drop. Thankfully none of us were hurt, but I was in a bad situation. I was on a isolated road, in a deep ditch that was quickly filling with more and more water.

The trucker stopped too. Oh no, I thought, what does the he want? Surely not to help? But he did help me out and so did a couple of other vehicles that stopped while I was in the ditch. They put a rope on the car and I drove it backwards up on to the road again. I thanked them and went back to the driving. On the way I still had to pass the snowy mountain roads, luckily my car was able to manoeuvre over them with not too much difficulty.  After which, we drove through Manning park,  A large natural park, miles of beautiful forest  that  in good weather  would be a pleasant drive, but today it  just looked dangerous and grey.

Eventually I came to a town called Princeton. And there I found out that all roads were now closed, the ones I had just driven over and the ones where I was heading towards. Not only that but a local town had been flooded out and so the motels were almost full to capacity. I did eventually manage to get a room for us. Once booked in, we went to the Cafe to eat, and there was the trucker, he waved and smiled and I did the same. A certain understanding between us, although I couldn’t quite fathom what that was. They all seemed to know each other, the truckers have probably done this route many, many times before I thought.

We went back to our room and  tried to get some sleep I had to wait and see if they would open up the roads tomorrow, as I was eager to be on my way.

The next day, they did open up the roads going East, and so I was on my way again, I made it to my destination without too much more trouble.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 1 October 2009, 19:26:11 »
ReplyReply

you're full of adventures  nicethread  congrats
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: 1 October 2009, 19:36:26 »
ReplyReply

Thanks.    I think this is the last one I'm going to print though.   Smiley

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 4 October 2009, 15:42:03 »
ReplyReply

I know cross-posting is not well looked at in the net, but as I did the effort in another forum might as well post it here "at home" also:

I always was a horse man, I have had horses since I was a small boy (when I was 8 my parents wanted me out of house and gave me away to be raised on a horse farm, "Rosenhof" near Hanau):

I have lived with horses until my 40´s (when I moved to the med where it is too hot in summer to have and move a horse really), and, I have saddled and driven Arabs, Hannoveranians, Cold Bloods, Quarters, Andalusians, etc. After all those horses and all that time for me there is only one race to be my favorite:

Arabs, I find too nervous for my liking; Cold Bloods too dull though I admire their forc and power; Andalusians, too small; Hannoverans get ill too easily. Friesians is the way to go!

I have had two of them, "Toro" and "Major", the first was my first horse, the 2nd my last one.

When I started riding the first day (I was 9 then), I was sat on a Haflinger who had nothing better to do than to go straight to the next available tree and scrath his side until I was off... I did not want to go on a horse ever again, but luckily someone brought over that *huge* (double Haflinger size), pitch black beautifully gleaming horse who he claimed had the best character of all on the farm and made me get on it: 10 minutes later I was in paradise!

Toro was blind on one eye from having run into some barbed wire when he was young, and he had the most docile temper you could imagine, despite his size and sheer power he was emanating. Of cause, he became *my* horse, and later, when I was older I bought him and rode with him until his death 17 years later.

Maybe because he was blind on one side and had to trust you, but you culd do anything with that horse: Galloping he would win against our fastest Arabs, dressage hew ould learn as fast as you could show him, in harness and in front of a carriage/coach (as in the picture above) he would trot featherlight for hours without even starting to sweat.

Same thing with "Major": Huge (1.70 mtrs shoulder hight = almost 5.6 feet), pitch black, seemingly cold blooded but as hot as you wanted him, easily carrying two riders for hours or trotting in front of the planwagon loaded with 10 persons without any effort, versatile in outdoors, on hunting or juming, and the most docile, happy and loyal horse you could think of.

That is exactly what I want in a horse:
- I *love* big horses, 165-1.70 mtrs houlde height is right for me
- I love sheer power combined with elgance and character
- I want  robust and versatile "all weather" horse that does not always get ill or that I do not have to bother about when in the snow or the heat.
- I want it for long range outdoor riding, jumping, dressage and carraiage or harness to work.

The Friesian have it all, and: They are simply beatuiful!

A mix of cold and hot blood (they were bred some 2000BC as workig horses until the Spanishc came and crossed in the Andalusian with its hot temperament and grace, they were the preferred breed for knights in the medieval times as they were bread for power, endurance and representation. Later, when carriages and loads became lighter (around 1800) they were modified for trotting races - hence their soft and lightweight trot that does not equal any other: You can go for hours without tiring or geting a sore bum...

Their one disadvantage: They need a lot of care of those long manes and the vast amount of hair to be kept nice.

Some pics and vids:

Friesians, the black kings of horses

Is this the most beautiful horse in the world? That, anway is what my Major looked like...

Cori, a Friesian 3yr mare in training between court and carriage

A nice promotional vid of The Friesian Valley Horses House

FWIW,

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 4 October 2009, 18:32:15 »
ReplyReply

Quote: 
I always was a horse man, I have had horses since I was a small boy (when I was 8 my parents wanted me out of house and gave me away to be raised on a horse farm, "Rosenhof" near Hanau):

Rattler,  you say they gave you away?  To who?  That must have been very hard for an eight year old kid.

Of cause, he became *my* horse, and later, when I was older I bought him and rode with him until his death 17 years later.

It's nice that you were able to keep that horse,  I don't know much about horses, but I know some people who get really attached to these magnificent animals.

Thanks for sharing this with us Rattler,  I really enjoyed reading it.  Your horse 'Major' must have been very special.

Mad Russian

« Reply #78 on: 13 October 2009, 05:29:06 »
ReplyReply

I know cross-posting is not well looked at in the net, but as I did the effort in another forum might as well post it here "at home" also:

FWIW,

Rattler

Hmmmm......lived in Hanau from Sept 04 until December 07. Was in all the places small and large in all directions from there.

Were you ever in Steinheim down by the river? We spent many an evening drinking beer there.

My wife's father raised horses, where we grew up, in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming.

Where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were famous. Their gang was called the Hole in the Wall Gang. I've been down inside the canyon where they held their horses many times. The fishing is GREAT inside the canyon.

Mountain lions eventually put my in-laws out of business. Mountain lions was something I never saw in Germany. In fact the only wild animals I ever saw were deer and wild boar.

Then there was the haunted guard tower along the Main River but that's another story.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad Russian

« Reply #79 on: 13 October 2009, 05:45:13 »
ReplyReply

Rattler,  I have started a book,  but like most things,  I never got very far,  only to the age of 8.  I will continue it on of these days.

same here...I started 2 or 3 during my lifetime but never ended one of them....

Writing a book is one of the toughest things I've ever done. Coming back and editing it is tougher though. I have finished one and have just started work on a second with a third to be done if the other two do well.

I know a few well known authors personally and quite a few not so well known ones....  hdbng

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44605047 | Sitemap