15 October 2019, 08:08:59 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Quick Quiz (again)  (Read 2903 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 15 July 2011, 22:28:22 »
ReplyReply

The song that together with its visual supplement in 1965 made me want to become a pilot, seriously (I had had the idea since 1961, but this gave the final push):

Quiz Question: Anybody here knows to allocate it to its source? Probably a hard one without googling it through, as the English speaking community will only know the English version of it.

Hint: It has only very distantly to do with the shown vid, just has ben chosen to accompany it.

Hint II: You probably all know this song in your nations version.

Hint III: It also lifted to fame (at least with Germans) the sentence (translated): "...there is *nothing* a German officer cannot achieve..."

Flugversuche

Rattler

P. S.: JFTR, this vid which has nothing to do with the song is from the time when I finally *learned* flying, and with almost the same method, and on this precise airfield depicted (Dörnberg, Kassel). The pic is form a hommage to "50 Years Flying School Dörnberg, 1989", and it is different from the way we did it, the SG38 starts from a winch instead of being "shot up" by a 12-man-rubber-rope-launch like in the 2nd picture...:

R.

« Last Edit: 16 July 2011, 23:50:25 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2011, 23:48:24 »
ReplyReply

Wow, nobody got it yet? I can see our "standard quiz solvers" have had a look and I am surprised nobody has gotten the solution yet (I had seriously feared that with my hints it would be a piece of cake).

I will let a day or so go by and then solve it.

Last HINT: The song allocates to a movie.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2011, 05:11:03 »
ReplyReply

Well to be honest I am not sure what we are trying to do here, from an English perspective the song is "Those magnificent men in their flying machines" from the movie of the same name but if there is an older German origin I have no idea what it would be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Magnificent_Men_in_their_Flying_Machines

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines - Original theme song

« Last Edit: 17 July 2011, 05:19:34 by MontyB » Logged

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2011, 13:50:47 »
ReplyReply

Monty, as always: You got it (and I had thought with all those stroies about flying this would have been clear as to where to allocate it).

This is the German adaption (and nothing literraly translated) from the original you posted:

Those magnificent men in their flying machines,
They go up diddley up-up, they go down diddley down-down!

They entrance all the ladies and steal all the scenes,
With their up diddley up-up and their down diddley down-down.

Up! down! Flying around! Looping the loop and defying the ground!

They're all frightfully keen.
Those magnificent men in their flying machines!

They can fly upside down with their feet in the air!
They don't think of danger; they really don't care!

Newton would think he had made a mistake!
To see those young men and the chances they take!

Those magnificent men in their flying machines,
They go up diddley up-up, they go down diddley down-down!

They entrance all the ladies and steal all the scenes,
With their up diddley up-up and their down diddley down-down.

Up! down! Flying around! Looping the loop and defying the ground!

They're all frightfully keen.
Those Magnificent men in their flying machines!

Those magnificent men...
those magnificent men
Those magnificent men
in their flyyyyyyying machines.

All that was left in the German theme song of the film (of course, the only one I would have known in 1965) of the original was (and even today I dont know why really as it makes no sense whatsoever in German, obligation by contract, maybe?) were the two snippets "diddley down-down!" and "diddley up-up", I guessed that was enough info to allocate the song to its source (the movie: German title: "Die tollkühnen Männer in ihren fliegenden Kisten", I like the title translation better than the original title because it sets the spirit of the German version of the movie as follows: "Those death-defying men in their flying thingies" which, I guess you agree, sounds different and sure has a different impact on a 10 yrs old... Now as adult, I like the lyrics of the original better, but I stick with the German title... Smiley ).

Just to round it up, below the (also very distinct) lyrics of the German version (translated by yours truly), in the movie sung by the "Botho Lucas Choir".

Monty, 1 diddley up-up!  iconclap

Just for the record, I have found some flaws in the movie that I can only charge to "continuity" department:

- German Colonel Baron Manfred von Holstein (impersonated by the unforgettable Gerd Fröbe: "... There is *nothing* a German officer cannot do!...Rumpelstoss, we go diving!...") and his aide Captain Rumpelstoss have the same (wrong) rank insignia in their uniform: According to those they both are of the rank of Major.

- When the German competitors first appear the today (and 1965) current German national anthem is played ("Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit"):

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q8xvkjqeHQ

This, in 1910, was the anthem of Austria/Hungary. Historically correct would have been the German Emperors anthem ("Heil dir im Siegerkranz") as National Anthem of the "Deutsches Reich" in 1910 (valid 1871-1918), but I guess they left it out of the movie as it has the same melody as the British "God save the Queen"... (oh, our European historical connections...!)

German Emperor Anthem - Heil dir im Siegerkranz (Mit Text)

- The a/c that represents the "Demoiselle" (Santos Dumont) of the french competitor sports a 4 cylinder boxer engine from a VW beetle...
FWIW,

Rattler

Lyrics "Richt´ge Männer wie wir":

Richt’ge Männer wie wir, und der richtige Wind, / True men like us and a great wind
das macht Spaß, tiddeli up, in der Luft tiddeli down./ that is fun in the air (diddely....)

Richt’ge Männer wie wir, und ein reizendes Kind,/ True man like us and an appaling chick
das macht Spaß, tiddeli up, in der Luft tiddeli down./ thats fun in the air (diddeleys...)

Komm, und steig bei mir ein, / Come on, get on board,
Nichts ist so schön wie ein Flieger zu sein, / Nothing compares to be with an aviator
Nur wer wagt der gewinnt. / Only who dares wins
Richt’ge Männer wie wir, so im richtigen Wind. / like true Men in the right wind

So ein Looping ist schön, wenn es donnert und blitzt, / A looping in a thunderstorm is the greatest adventure
Was kann schon gescheh’n, wenn Du dicht bei mir sitzt. / nothing can go wrong if you sit by my side
Rund um die Welt, das ist gar nicht sehr weit, / All aorund the world really is tiny a distance
die Vögel im Wald, ja, die platzen vor Neid. / The birds in the woods explode from envy to us

Richt’ge Männer wie wir, /True Men like us
So im richtigen Wind./ In just the right wind

« Last Edit: 17 July 2011, 14:00:48 by Rattler » Logged

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2011, 02:55:02 »
ReplyReply

You need to remember that for the "British" part of the world you only need to include the pickelhaube to portray Germans/Prussians so historical accuracy is not necesary.
Smiley

I found this video of the song that I kind of liked as well.

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

and this was amusing...

Pre WWI German Beatbox

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2011, 07:16:10 »
ReplyReply

Nice find both videos... Smiley I especially like the skillful visual interpretation in the first one.

BTW, the tune Gerd Fröbe (one of our best actors at this time) "beat boxes" is the Paul Lincke song "Berliner Luft", here played at the "Großer Zapfenstreich "50 Years Bundeswehr"":

Berliner Luft

And the full duel ended surprisingly with all in the water, starts at about minute 2:20 :

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Rattler

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2011, 09:36:28 »
ReplyReply

Hehe unfortunately I am more from the Prussian school of thought when it comes to military music, I prefer this...

Der Hohenfriedbergermarsch

and

Der Königgrätzer Marsch

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 26624476 | Sitemap