29 March 2024, 06:18:31 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Buying in shops and the internet  (Read 3463 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 13 June 2009, 22:11:31 »
ReplyReply

seems that Amazon is the only way to get some books on my shelf:

with the current dollar-euro rate it's cheaper to fly them over from the US...

for 11 of the 12 books flown in from the States I'll have to pay 37€ with a total of 239€ (first time I ordered from Amazon.com I had to pay 10€ extra to the custom services)

anyone else has ideas how to get books easier/cheaper?

1. Panther Variants 1942-45 (New Vanguard)

2. Panther Medium Tank 1942-45 (New Vanguard)

3. Panther in Detail

4. Panther Variants in Color

5. Panther In Color Waffen SS (not available)

6. It Never Snows in September:

7. German Order of Battle, Volume One

8. German Order of Battle, Volume Two

9. German Order of Battle Volume Three

10. Arnhem (Pen & Sword Military Classics)

11. Arnhem 1944: Operation Market Garden (osprey)

12. Normandy 1944: German Military Organization,…

Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2009, 18:41:52 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  I am rather disappointed in the variety of books found in the chain stores these days.  One used to be able to find all sorts of excellent books at Borders, Walden, or Barnes & Nobles here in the States.  The plus was that when you bought them, you walked out of the store with them in hand.  The internet made you wait, sometimes for weeks.

Lately I find that almost every book I am buying is from Amazon, or sometimes Schifferbooks and Abebooks.  Mainly it is Amazon.  I have been able to pick up some amazing finds, books I could never find anywhere else.  I would never have been able to find  Doctor at Stalingrad by Hans Dibold anywhere else.  The same goes for another of my favorites, HELL'S GATE: The Battle of the Cherkassy Pocket January to February 1944 by Douglas Nash.  Also, anything by Jason Mark, such as two of my all time favorites, An Infantryman in Stalingrad: From 24 September 1942 to 2 February 1943 by Adelbert Holl, Jason D. Mark and Island of Fire: The Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory in Stalingrad also by Jason Mark. 

I also found a copy of  Stalingrad: Anatomie e. Schlacht (German Edition) by Janusz Piekalkiewicz, that was in a book store in Koblenz.  I ordered through Amazon and it arrived about 3-4 weeks later.  Simply amazing.  I first read that book many years ago, with a German-English dictionary by my side.  I had to check it out from the University of Delaware library, about 6 times in a row.  I always wanted to have it for my collection, and through the internet, I was finally able to make that happen. 

I would say that you first check the book stores, but you'll probably end up buying from Amazon or another internet book company.  It might be the only way to get those hard-to-find copies needed for your library.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2009, 18:52:39 »
ReplyReply

H505, thx for the info

did you see we have a 'book' board in the archives where you can tell us which books you own?

You can also recommend certain books or just babble about our libraries

K
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2009, 19:05:10 »
ReplyReply

Oh yes, I did see that.  I drop in every now and then to see what others are reading.  It is a good spot to recommend them.  My family can't understand how I can spend $40+ on a book[/i].  They just don't get it, ha hah.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2009, 19:08:15 »
ReplyReply

this is the list I made for myself with the US Amazon prices

Panther Variants 1942-45 (New Vanguard)   Hilary L. Doyle   x   $17.95

Panther Medium Tank 1942-45 (New Vanguard)   Stephen Ashley Hart   x   $12.21

Panther in Detail   Bruce Culver   x   $48.97

Panther Variants in Color   Waldemar Trojca   x   $16.00

Panther In Color Waffen SS   Waldemar Trojca      

It Never Snows in September:   Robert Kershaw   x   $11.53 (illustrated)
         $6.45 (via)

German Order of Battle, Volume One   Samuel W. Mitcham   x   $13.57

German Order of Battle, Volume Two   Samuel W. Mitcham   x   $15.56

German Order of Battle Volume Three   Samuel W. Mitcham   x   $14.96

Arnhem (Pen & Sword Military Classics)   R.E. Urquhart   x   $22.00

Arnhem 1944: Operation Market Garden (osprey)   Stephen Badsey   x   $15.56

Normandy 1944: German Military Organization,…   Niklas Zetterling   x   $46.00 (stock)
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2009, 19:17:15 »
ReplyReply

There is a theme in your list.  Seems the Panther might be a favorite subject of yours.  Of the other titles, I recognize Zetterling and Kershaw, as they put out some very good subjects.  Is the Urquhart of the book about Arnhem the same one who was there, by chance Roy Urquhart?  Just curious.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2009, 20:01:27 »
ReplyReply

There is a theme in your list.  Seems the Panther might be a favorite subject of yours.  Of the other titles, I recognize Zetterling and Kershaw, as they put out some very good subjects.  Is the Urquhart of the book about Arnhem the same one who was there, by chance Roy Urquhart?  Just curious.

Heinrich505

well, I have too many intrests....that leads to NOT buying books or hesitating forever...but indeed...German panzers and the german infantry/WSS intrests me alot...

within armour the Panther
within infantry the Waffen SS divisions

yes, it's THAT Urquhart

battles I'm interested in?

Normandy
Ardennes - Wacht am Rhein
Market-Garden

I just did a search on my PC, since I'm downloading Deutsche Wochenshau & others right now, and I had some 666 videos about WWII on my PC, when am I going to watch these?

518 documents and e-books about WWII

& much more.....only the inventarisation takes hours....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166363 | Sitemap