24 July 2019, 00:09:12 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Russian JS-2  (Read 4728 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« on: 28 December 2008, 18:51:22 »
ReplyReply

Russian JS-2; this one is in Prague Czechoslovakia near end of war.  I believe someone has a reverse image of this as well.
« Last Edit: 29 December 2008, 22:28:39 by Alan65 » Logged
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2008, 20:45:54 »
ReplyReply

Alan65,
  Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks more like an IS-2, due to the muzzle brake, config of the turret, and the position of the drivers viewport.  Did the postcard specifically mention T-34?  Just curious.

Very nice picture, and this goes for all the others you have posted.  Some amazing shots.  Your library must be amazing.  I am enjoying viewing them every time I visit the site.  Please keep posting them.    Smiley

Heinrich505
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2008, 06:58:01 »
ReplyReply

On the 'old' WaT, I posted this as an unidentified AFV; my memory is that someone posted a response that this is a T-34 but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time  Knipoog  I'm probably mis-remembering this--the more I look at the shape of the turret, it looks too tall and squared-off. The T-34 turret is a thing of beauty, it looks like it could shrug off almost anything.

I'll go with your IS-2 for now and look into it more.  (let's see if I can figure out how to change the title to the thread) Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks for the compliment!  I started out collecting postcards that somehow tied in with my war-gaming and it continues to grow.  I'm definitely more of a postcard and image expert than an identifier of specific makes and models of machinery.
Mad Russian

« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2008, 07:24:35 »
ReplyReply

No T-34 ever had a muzzle brake. That is in fact a JS-2.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 December 2008, 11:55:53 »
ReplyReply

On the 'old' WaT, I posted this as an unidentified AFV; my memory is that someone posted a response that this is a T-34 but if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time  Knipoog  I'm probably mis-remembering this--the more I look at the shape of the turret, it looks too tall and squared-off. The T-34 turret is a thing of beauty, it looks like it could shrug off almost anything.

I'll go with your IS-2 for now and look into it more.  (let's see if I can figure out how to change the title to the thread) Anyone else care to comment?

Thanks for the compliment!  I started out collecting postcards that somehow tied in with my war-gaming and it continues to grow.  I'm definitely more of a postcard and image expert than an identifier of specific makes and models of machinery.

Use the 'modify' button to change the topic's title
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2008, 22:27:50 »
ReplyReply

Thank you all. Brede lach

OK, here is the old thread http://warandtactics.info/board/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=349  with the 'original' image as well; the postcard pictured here is a mirror-image and you can tell according to Capt. Dan because the light should be on the right-side of the tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 25680430 | Sitemap