19 March 2024, 07:12:22 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Bulletproof turbans for cops  (Read 7556 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 9 May 2009, 08:37:00 »
ReplyReply

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2416624.ece

BOFFINS are making BULLETPROOF TURBANS so Sikh officers can become gun cops.

Scientists are developing the sturdy turbans made from Kevlar-like material to act as a shield – because the Sikh religion prevents adult males from removing their headpieces.

With more than 2,000 Sikh police officers and staff in the UK, the newly-formed British Police Sikh Association (BPSA), has made the headpiece one of its priorities.

Inspector Gian Singh Chahal, from Kent Police and vice chairman of the BPSA, told respected industry magazine Police Review today: “Sikh officers have been prohibited from becoming firearms officers because our religion does not allow us to remove the turban.

“Nor can we wear the NATO helmet for public order policing."

He added: “There has been some research done into producing a ballistic material for turbans and we would like to follow any opportunity where we could manufacture a ballistic product - made out of something like Kevlar - that would ensure a certain degree of protection so Sikh police officers could take part in these roles.

“We need to approach the Home Office and police forces and to gain their acceptance so that Sikh officers could become firearms and public order officers whilst wearing turbans.

“I think there needs to be a recognition from the Home Office that would allow Sikh officers to carry out these roles. I think the will is there from chief constables but perhaps not yet from the Home Office.”

One Sikh PC, who did not want to be named, said: “It would be incredible if they developed a bulletproof turban.

“It would make life a lot easier for us and would mean we could go for jobs as firearms and public order officers – which a lot of Sikh officers would like to do, but are currently not allowed to go for.”

Last year West Midlands Police spent tens of thousands of pounds trying to find protective headgear to fit over a turban after a Sikh officer applied to join the counter-terrorist Operational Support Unit.

The force spent 18 months looking for a solution, but failed to find any suitable equipment and returned the officer to his job as a beat bobby.

The unnamed officer is reported to have claimed to have been discriminated against and was on long-term sick leave suffering from stress.

Dr Indarjit Singh, director of the Network of Sikh Organisations, said Sikhism is the only religion in the world in which wearing a turban is mandatory for all adult males.

He said: “It is mandatory for adult Sikh men to wear the turban.”

Turbans consist of around 15ft of cloth wound around the head.

Sikh men wear them to cover their hair, which they leave uncut in accordance with their religion. They often wear their long beards rolled up.

As well as being a sign of spirituality, the turban is also a symbol of Sikh identity and of courage.

There are more than 750,000 Sikhs, the only religion allowed to ride motorbikes without crash helmets, in the UK.

Sikh soldiers serving in the British Army refused to wear helmets during the First and Second World Wars.

They fought with their turbans on, several receiving the Victoria Cross for acts of gallantry.

A Home Office spokesman said today: “The Government wants a police service that reflects the diverse communities it serves.

“It is down to individual forces to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate the religion or beliefs of individual officers, as far as operational requirements permit.”

Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2009, 00:12:57 »
ReplyReply

When in Rome...
Geordie
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 21:32:50 »
ReplyReply

Errr, why not just put something bullet proof under the Turban?

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 21:56:27 »
ReplyReply

They would have to take it off to put it on?

No idea, really.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2009, 01:48:19 »
ReplyReply

That's too easy. hihi
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2009, 19:20:53 »
ReplyReply

That makes no sense Matt, I guess they have to take it off to wash the hair every now and than?

Imagine the smell if you havent ever washed your hair.....  whistle

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2009, 21:28:18 »
ReplyReply

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they take them off.  If not they'd pop off due to the growing pile of uncut hair accumulating underneath hihi
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2009, 23:05:28 »
ReplyReply

That makes no sense Matt, I guess they have to take it off to wash the hair every now and than?

Imagine the smell if you havent ever washed your hair.....  whistle

I am not sure, but I seem to recall they indeed never take the turban off? No washing either? Growing hair rolled in but never cut? Again, I am on a trail off memory here and have no time to do some research and no clue really...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Imp
Private

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2009, 04:07:16 »
ReplyReply

Pretty sure rattler is right & yes it does smell
What a waste of money if they do it all that research then perhaps 5 actually wear them with a short production run. So in effect will probably cost 5,000 times more to produce than a helmet, yet again the UK goverment show a lack of economic sense.
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2009, 16:07:15 »
ReplyReply

(Posting as rattler, but I have no time to change identities...) Rattler says: "Still, I would prefer a smelling Sikh at my side (or my back) anytime to a well aromated newbie or Marine, be it with or w/o helmet"

TA (aka Rattler with his other hat (not helmet  whistle) on)

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 8 October 2009, 11:59:27 »
ReplyReply

Or just forgo the whole ballistic material thing.  You'll be in better hands after you take the bullet through your forehead!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44027395 | Sitemap