29 March 2024, 11:40:04 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Gunman attack on US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords  (Read 8671 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 10 January 2011, 20:07:16 »
ReplyReply

I was shocked to read this, I didn't hear anything about it on the news. Luckily I read a quality newspaper so I found it there.
We discussed this before on WaT but I can't see it otherwise with all the killings and shootings that happen in the US: what the fuck is nothing been done about those silly arms-laws?
In some places you get prison-time for an 18th century style crime like showing your titties but hell you can buy a weapon at every corner  hdbng

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) Shot by Gunman in Tucson, Arizona

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/08/several-people-shot-at-arizona-store-police-official-says/

A gunman intended to assassinate a U.S. representative when he opened fire outside a Tucson, Arizona, supermarket Saturday, killing six and wounding 12 including the congresswoman, the local sheriff said hours after the shooting.

U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was in critical condition late Saturday after surgery for a single gunshot wound to the head. The dead included a federal judge and a 9-year-old girl, authorities said.

One suspect was in custody immediately after the shooting, and investigators were "actively in pursuit" of a second man whom they believed may be involved in the attempted assassination, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said Saturday night.

Two people tackled the suspected shooter, stopping a spray of bullets from what federal and state law enforcement sources described as a 9mm Glock outfitted with a 30-round magazine.

Dupnik said the suspect in custody is 22, but declined to name him. An Arizona law enforcement source and a federal law enforcement source, meanwhile, identified the suspect as Jared Lee Loughner.

The suspect was being held in the Pima County jail, Dupnik said. He was expected to appear in court Sunday morning,

Dupnik said investigators are not convinced that the suspect came to the supermarket alone. He said investigators were looking for a man seen near the suspect.

Authorities did not know whether the person they sought actually had any connection with Loughner, a law enforcement source told.

Authorities have a piece of evidence that indicates this second individual was in close proximity to the store, the source said, but declined to elaborate.

Investigators were trying to interview witnesses to determine if there was a connection between the two men, the source said.

That source also said authorities were seeking search warrants for a residence and for a vehicle in connection with the suspect in custody.

The attack happened about 10 minutes after the start of a previously scheduled constituent meeting outside a Safeway grocery store.

Although U.S. Capitol Police said there was no evidence of a broader threat involving federal officials, the agency said in a statement it had advised other members of Congress to take "reasonable and prudent precautions regarding their personal safety and security."

The House Sergeant at Arms also said "it is essential" that lawmakers contact local police to register their home and office addresses.

Tucson Police Chief Roberto Villasenor said his department had secured the homes and offices of some unnamed federal officials as a "precautionary measure."

At a news conference, Dupnik said the shooter moved towards the crowd and began firing. It was unclear if he said anything or who was shot first, Dupnik said.

An employee of a nearby business, Jason Pekau, said he heard 15 to 20 shots.

Two people tackled the gunman, who still had ammunition remaining, Dupnik said.

Police recovered a 9mm Glock Model 19 handgun believed used in the shooting, according to senior law enforcement sources. The weapon had a 30-round magazine, according to a federal law enforcement source briefed on the investigation.

"He probably would have shot other people had he not been tackled," Dupnik said.

Five people, including Chief Judge John Roll of the U.S. District Court for Arizona and Gabe Zimmerman, a Giffords staffer, died at the scene. The sixth victim, a 9-year-old girl, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Giffords, 40, was shot once in the head at close range, authorities said. She underwent surgery at University Medical Center in Tucson and was listed in critical condition.

Authorities said all of the victims have been identified, but declined to release additional names pending notification of relatives.

President Barack Obama sent FBI Director Richard Mueller to help coordinate the joint investigation, which federal authorities stressed did not appear to have any connection to terrorism.

Dupnik said the suspect has had contact with law enforcement in the past in which he made violent threats, but he declined to say against whom.

"All I can tell you is there's reason to believe this individual may have a mental issue," Dupnik said.

Nate Gray, special agent in charge of the Arizona office of the FBI, said the investigation was proceeding as a joint local and federal effort.

"The FBI and the Pima County Sheriff's office are working together on every aspect of this joint investigation and we are utilizing all resources necessary to make sure those responsible are brought to justice," Gray said.

Giffords' press secretary, C.J. Karamargin, said he was unaware of any recent threats against Giffords.

Dupnik said two incidents occurred in 2010 involving Giffords, including one in which a gun fell out of a constituent's pocket during an angry town hall meeting and another in which windows at her campaign office were broken out.

Authorities said they did not know the motive for the shooting -- the suspect was not talking and had invoked his right against self-incrimination, Dupnik said.

Giffords staffer Mark Kimble told CNN affiliate KGUN that the congresswoman did not have any security with her Saturday morning, which was not unusual for her.

"She wants to be as accessible to the people who elected her as possible," Kimble said.

Dr. Peter Rhee of the University Medical Center said that Giffords had been moved to intensive care from surgery and said he was "very optimistic" about her recovery.

"I'm about as optimistic as it can get in this situation," he said during a brief news conference at the hospital Saturday afternoon.

He said the next 24 hours will be key for determining the extent of her recovery.

Dupnik reiterated Rhee's prognosis Saturday evening.

The staffer who died, Gabe Zimmerman, was in charge of community outreach in Giffords' Tucson office, Karamargin said. He was engaged to be married.

Giffords, a Democrat, was first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.

She won her third term in a closely contested race against a Tea Party-sponsored candidate and was one of three Democratic legislators who reported vandalism at their offices following the March vote on health care reform.

She is married to Navy Capt. Mark Kelly, a NASA astronaut who is scheduled to lead a space shuttle mission to the International Space Station.

Roll was a 1991 Bush appointee to the federal bench. The chief judge for the U.S. District Court for Arizona, he was originally from Pennsylvania.

Colleagues and admirers of Giffords and Roll reacted quickly to the shooting.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said the attack was committed by a "wicked person who has no sense of justice or compassion."

"Whoever did this, whatever their reason, they are a disgrace to Arizona, this country and the human race, and they deserve and will receive the contempt of all decent people and the strongest punishment of the law," he said.

Obama called the attack an "unspeakable tragedy."

"We do not yet have all the answers," he said. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society."

House Speaker John Boehner said he was "horrified" by the shooting.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve," he said. "Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society."

Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts issued a statement decrying the shootings and the loss of Roll, whom he called a "wise jurist who selflessly served Arizona and the nation with great distinction."

"Chief Judge Roll's death is a somber reminder of the rule of law and the sacrifices of those who work to secure it," Roberts said.

Rep. Chellie Pingree, D-Maine, said an incident like this could have a chilling effect on the frequent weekend listening post sessions many members of Congress have with their constituents.

"It does give you pause," Pingree said.

this video is quite disturbing after these events
Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Talks Palin Cross Hairs

WHY does a nitwit as Palin gets so many funds, all the broadcasting time on TV etc???

Sarah Palin's Statement On AZ Shooting Involving Rep Gabrielle Giffords *read description 4details*

WHY do they put crosshairs on a statemap in a country where there are more guns then inhabitants  hdbng hdbng hdbng

A  law enforcement source familiar with the investigation says the Glock model 19 used in the shootings was purchased legally. The official did not have details at this time as to when and where the gun was purchased.

The gun was loaded with a 30-round magazine. The official said it is likely the extended magazine used in the shooting  was purchased separately and at a different time. The official said such a magazine does not automatically come with a weapons purchase and that it would be extremely rare for them to be sold together in one purchase.

The official said the suspect had purchased another gun a few years ago but this person did not know the details about what happened to that weapon and if the alleged shooter still owned it.

shouldn't politicians be concentrating on their own statements and agenda instead of attacking and breaking down other peoples agendas and even personal lives?

« Last Edit: 10 January 2011, 20:18:13 by Koen » Logged
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2011, 09:11:02 »
ReplyReply

...and others applaud the shooting as a work of god:

Your federal judge is dead and your (fag-promoting, baby-killing, proud-sinner) Congresswoman fights for her life. God is avenging Himself on this rebellious house! WBC prays for your destruction--more shooters, more dead carcasses piling up, young, old, leader and commoner--all

Thats the US for you...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2011, 14:44:36 »
ReplyReply

And why would Palin to be blamed for her shooting?
Because she added a few crosshairs on a website?
Its the guy with the gun who is to blame.
This guy was clearly anti government, I bet he would have shot Palin too if she would have stand in front of him.
He shot several others too including a child, if you ask me its just a lunatic crying for some attention.

Dont waist much taxdollars, needle in his arm and gone with it.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2011, 15:10:27 »
ReplyReply

And why would Palin to be blamed for her shooting?
Because she added a few crosshairs on a website?
Its the guy with the gun who is to blame.
This guy was clearly anti government, I bet he would have shot Palin too if she would have stand in front of him.
He shot several others too including a child, if you ask me its just a lunatic crying for some attention.

Dont waist much taxdollars, needle in his arm and gone with it.

Henk,
the campaigns in the US from the last years have been based on anti-(whatever), and hate.

When you are campaigning in a country where every single household has an armcabinet you should be aware of that.

And if you want to point out something on a map there are many ways to do so and hundreds of symbols you could use EXCEPT a crosshair.

If this would happen in a country like Irak or Afghanistan they would blame Taliban, terrorsist or another movement/group. When it happens in the US it's suddenly a wacko? And if it's a wacko WHY did he do it?

The solution of needle and done is the easiest way, you blame the individual.

The language the Palin camp uses is close to combatlanguage like the soldiers use, so they shouldn't be surprised when people react as soldiers and open fire.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2011, 16:51:38 »
ReplyReply

Still that is no issue, its the guy with the gun who is to be be blamed.
Nobody asked him to shoot this women or the others.
It doesnt matter what you say we have freedom of speech,  grownup people should be able to understand retoric and are responsible for their own deeds.
Keep in mind there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men.
I have several weapons as well, do I use them to kill other people?
Do you use the knives in your kitchen, or the tools in the barn to kill your neighbour?
Do you cut someone else into pieces with a chainsaw?

I am pretty sure Palin would have been shot by him to if she would have stood in front of him.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2011, 17:58:45 »
ReplyReply

Still that is no issue, its the guy with the gun who is to be be blamed.
Nobody asked him to shoot this women or the others.
It doesnt matter what you say we have freedom of speech,  grownup people should be able to understand retoric and are responsible for their own deeds.
Keep in mind there are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men.
I have several weapons as well, do I use them to kill other people?
Do you use the knives in your kitchen, or the tools in the barn to kill your neighbour?
Do you cut someone else into pieces with a chainsaw?

I am pretty sure Palin would have been shot by him to if she would have stood in front of him.

yes, sure, the one who shoots is the killer BUT the ones who start it are innocent?

true on a theoretical base but not in the practical world (plenty of examples in history where the 'starters' never fired a shot but were masskillers)

you call for hate? you get it, somehow...

Did you watch the vids? People coming to a meeting outdoors with side-arms? Why? BECAUSE the politicians create a theater of WAR! People, and yes... usually not the smart ones... are always on the look for someone/something they can follow... something to keep them busy...

I've been reading alot of newspaper articles, watched TV docus and such and what I see on US politics makes me afraid. Freedom of speech? Sure, 100% but HOW?

You want the job someone else has? Well, you can do it 2 ways? 1. show that you're the best or 2. make the other one look bad

Now in the US it's almost constantly nr 2. (and 'make look bad' is a very friendly description)

I might be wrong since I don't live there but FFS... we NEED a stable US government, a well build US political world.

This is not some foreign country, this is the country that is responsable for alot of police and military work around the globe. An unstable US is very BAD for the world.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2011, 18:11:08 »
ReplyReply

Look at Dutch politicians lately...... are people getting killed here?
And closer to you, Vlaams Blok, are people getting killed in Belgium or Holland because some politicians express hatred talk against muslims?
No matter what another person says, you are to blame yourself if you hurt another human being.

Not long ago a Pakistani Woman made a strong hatred remark against jews on my Hyves page.
Keep in mind she fled here because she was supposed to be unsafe in her country......
When I filed a complaint I got this as an answer:

We dont do anything against it, Wilders can say what he wants so she can to.
Anti-zionism is the only hatecrime written by name in our laws.
Now she can get away with it because someone else does the same but against an other group?
We are sinking as a community deeper and deeper, our democracies wont get destroyed by foreign influences but by ourselves.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2011, 18:23:02 »
ReplyReply

Look at Dutch politicians lately...... are people getting killed here?
And closer to you, Vlaams Blok, are people getting killed in Belgium or Holland because some politicians express hatred talk against muslims?
No matter what another person says, you are to blame yourself if you hurt another human being.

Not long ago a Pakistani Woman made a strong hatred remark against jews on my Hyves page.
Keep in mind she fled here because she was supposed to be unsafe in her country......
When I filed a complaint I got this as an answer:

We dont do anything against it, Wilders can say what he wants so she can to.
Anti-zionism is the only hatecrime written by name in our laws.
Now she can get away with it because someone else does the same but against an other group?
We are sinking as a community deeper and deeper, our democracies wont get destroyed by foreign influences but by ourselves.

personally I don't think you can compare us (NL & B) with the US (except for the 2 killings in NL... help me out here.... the gay politician and the movie director)

our societies (?) have almost nothing in common with the US

we don't have an armed population, Vlaams Belang (ex-Blok) has been sanctioned for hatred talks and are now a broken party (and laughed about...)

my opinion on Wilders? it won't last long, the content is too weak and with the scandals in his party he already lost alot of backup.

you know Henk, it's not only a problem of politicians. I encounter it almost every day, how many people can go into a discussion without getting personal? People who respect the opponent and his/her opinion?

Here on WaT and other fora it's almost impossible to talk about Israel and/or Gaza. People get personal and react violently. Why? I don't understand. The ability of discussing is becoming (has been?) a unique gift.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2011, 22:22:38 »
ReplyReply

To be honest I have come to the conclusion that these issues are not worth discussing simply because it is clear that Americans are not interested in fixing the root causes of the problem.

Until you can convince them that they don't need a gun for protection they will cling to an outmoded document as justification for irrational fears, they still argue that it is best to have a gun on the off chance that they will need it to fight off attackers yet find the idea of scuba kits in cars in case they drive into a river ludicrous yet the odds for both events are about the same.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2011, 16:22:34 »
ReplyReply

Funny, today in one of our newspapers there was a story about some guys who researched the  laws compared to the shootings.
Very surprisingly outcome, the states with a liberal gun law had the lowest number of people killed compared to the states with tougher laws.
I guess a lot of the deads arent ordinary civilians but criminals, just look to the other side of the border where Mexicans are killed by 100dreds every day.
It wont end at the border......

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2011, 18:25:51 »
ReplyReply

Funny, today in one of our newspapers there was a story about some guys who researched the  laws compared to the shootings.
Very surprisingly outcome, the states with a liberal gun law had the lowest number of people killed compared to the states with tougher laws.
I guess a lot of the deads arent ordinary civilians but criminals, just look to the other side of the border where Mexicans are killed by 100dreds every day.
It wont end at the border......

Mexico is Mexico and has in this topic nothing to do with the US (and yes I do know about the Mexico-US connections)

and what is a tough arms law in the US? compared to our countries probably still very scary dontknow

ofcourse most killings are done by criminals but what about the civilians? the innocent ones?

in this case the police says the guy was known as unstable and etc.... so HOW did he get a weapon with a special loader?
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2011, 18:42:01 »
ReplyReply

In a state with a decent law you cant buy arms without having a license.
Its forbidden to buy arms which can be easily concealed like UZI, pistols and so on.
Many of the gangs import and deal drugs.
So yes, there is a clear connection to Mexico and the related violence.
35.000 people killed the last 4 years, thats more worrying to me than a few (probably most) criminals in the US because in mexico the majority of the victims had nothing to do with drugs crimes.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2011, 18:57:22 »
ReplyReply

In a state with a decent law you cant buy arms without having a license.
Its forbidden to buy arms which can be easily concealed like UZI, pistols and so on.
Many of the gangs import and deal drugs.
35.000 people killed the last 4 years, thats more worrying to me than a few (probably most) criminals in the US because in mexico the majority of the victims had nothing to do with drugs crimes.

I still can't see the connection of Mexico and this shooting  Huh?
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2011, 19:02:41 »
ReplyReply

Many of the gangs in the US import and deal drugs.

What more do you want?

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2011, 19:07:16 »
ReplyReply

What more do you want?

what does this have to do with a US citizen who bought seperately a weapon and a loader and killed several people on a political meeting?
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2011, 00:18:56 »
ReplyReply

What more do you want?

what does this have to do with a US citizen who bought seperately a weapon and a loader and killed several people on a political meeting?

He could see Mexico from his back yard??
Smiley

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2011, 05:01:05 »
ReplyReply

Palin death threats up in Tucson wake
Published: Jan. 13, 2011 at 4:18 PM

WASHINGTON, Jan. 13 (UPI) -- Aides to former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin say the conservative icon has experienced an increase in death threats since Saturday's shootings in Tucson.

Palin aide Rebecca Mansour told USA Today the uptick in threats is "incredible," while another aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, also confirmed the increase to CBS News.

"There has been an incredible increase in death threats against Governor Palin since the tragedy in Arizona, since she's been accused of having the blood of those victims on her hands," Mansour said. "When you start to accuse people of having the blood of innocent people on their hands, it incites violence."

Palin has come under fire for her political map displaying cross hairs over the districts of Democratic representatives she asked supporters to target during the November midterm elections.

On Wednesday Palin posted a Facebook video warning "journalists and pundits" not to create a "blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence that they purport to condemn."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/01/13/Palin-death-threats-up-in-Tucson-wake/UPI-78321294953485/print/#ixzz1AykWaukQ

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2011, 10:22:52 »
ReplyReply

Giffords has been taken off the breathingmachine, she's now breathing through a pipe.

she can move parts of her body and her eyes opened on Wednesday.

recovery's going well.

latest intel showed that he did plan the attack so it was not a random shooting
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44169596 | Sitemap