29 March 2024, 05:45:56 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: 7 Dead and at least 15 injured in Ft. Hood shootout  (Read 15155 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 5 November 2009, 22:17:40 »
ReplyReply

Relatively fresh news, so not many details available yet, but it looks as two - maybe 3 - persons are responsible of the death of 7 persons and injouring at least 15 in Ft. Hood, the largest US (Army?) base in Texas. Neither the nature of the victims (civvies or mil) nor any reasons for the shooutout are known yet. One person has been detained as responsable, a 2nd is entrenchend and confronted and a possible 3rd is of unknown location.

Ft. Hood is currently shut down, here on Spanish TV it is speculated that this is a deliberate and organized attack from outside.

http://freerangetalk.com/?p=20201

Breaking news, Fort Hood, Texas. 3:45 p.m.

Seven dead and twenty injured were initially reported, with one shooter in custody and another on the run. Moments ago a third shooter was identified, and had opened fire at the base. Theories that it was a lone wolf  (or two) with PTSD are no longer applicable.

Local schools are on lockdown. Fort Hood sends an enormous percentage of troops to overseas theatres of war, so there was some speculation that this is an organized attack on the base.

The term “all military” has been used, which means that the shooters and the victims are U.S. military personnel. There was some fear of a Fort Dix type scenario, but it looks like that is not the case. FBI are on their way to the scene, and President Obama is being briefed.

The attack occurred about 1:30 p.m. Central time at Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Center, where troops are processed before deployment and upon their return from combat tours abroad, cable news networks reported.

An estimated 100,000 people are at Fort Hood, near Waco,Texas; and the entire post (base) is on lockdown. It is the largest military installation in the world. The shooting started half an hour before a graduation of some kind was to have commenced.

MSNBC:
No word from the military base whether the victims are military or civilians

At least seven people are dead and 12 wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood in Texas, the base’s public affairs office told NBC News on Thursday.

The official would not give his name nor additional details. It was unknown whether victims are soldiers or civilians. One gunman was reportedly in custody and another was on the loose, NBC News said. A third shooter may be involved, according to NBC News affiliate KCEN.

KCEN in Waco reported that the second suspect may be holed up in a building on the post.

The base was reportedly on lockdown. Two nearby school districts were also being locked down.

Fort Hood is adjacent to Killeen, and 60 miles northeast of Austin. The sprawling complex is home to at least 4,929 active duty officers and 45,414 enlisted. Civilian employees total nearly 9,000.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 5 November 2009, 22:53:52 »
ReplyReply

shocking....here in Belgium they speak of 2 killers, one arrested...

a base-shop would be surrounded

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/990/Buitenland/article/detail/1025882/2009/11/05/Zeven-doden-bij-schietpartij-op-Amerikaanse-legerbasis.dhtml

NBC:  7 dead, 20 injured in Fort Hood shooting

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33678801/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and msnbc.com
updated 4:41 p.m. ET Nov. 5, 2009

At least seven people were killed and 20 others were wounded in a mass shooting incident Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, where at least one suspect was believed to be in custody, NBC News and NBC affiliate KCEN-TV reported.

More shots were reported later in the afternoon, reported KCEN of Waco, which said no further details were immediately available.  

It was unknown whether the victims were all soldiers or civilians at Fort Hood, one of the largest military complexes in the world. The base was on lockdown, as were schools in the area.

At least one suspect was in custody, reported KCEN, which quoted a source as saying at least one of the shooters had a high-powered rifle. The station reported that at least four SWAT officers were among those wounded.

A spokesman for Fort Hood said the shootings took place at two locations around 1:30 p.m.: the Soldiers Readiness Processing Center and Howze Theater.

The spokesman, Sgt. Major Jamie Posten, said processing center was where soldiers “cycle through as they prepare to deploy.” That complex is on the West side of post, off Battalion Avenue.

Greg Schannep, an aide to Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, who was on the post to attend a graduation service, told the Austin American-Statesman that a soldier with blood on his uniform ran past him and said a man was shooting.

The Temple Independent School District was on a “soft” lockdown. Parents were asked to pick their children up at the normal times, although they could experience delays.

Agents of the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were on their way to the post, federal officials said.

Fort Hood is adjacent to Killeen, about 60 miles northeast of Austin. The sprawling complex is home to at least 4,929 active-duty officers and 45,414 enlisted. Civilian employees total nearly 9,000.

A spokesman for the Army, Lt. Col. Lee M. Packnett, said he was unaware whether security measures were put in place at other military bases. A spokesman at Fort Lewis, Wash., said the incident was being treated as isolated.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the shootings, press secretary Robert Gibbs said.

Homeland Security spokeswoman Sara Kuban said officials from several federal agencies are still collecting information on the shootings. "Because this is early in this event, we cannot at this time confirm motives behind these shootings," she said.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson, R-Texas, said in a statement: “I am shocked and saddened by today’s outburst of violence at Fort Hood that has cost seven of our brave service members their lives and has gravely injured others. My heart goes out to their loved ones.”

Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s campaign spokesperson said the governor was in Denton, scheduled to attend a campaign event, when word of the shooting occurred. There was no word on whether he had left Denton or whether he was headed to Fort Hood.

Milly Land, who works at the base fitness center, said she was headed for the graduation ceremony at 2 p.m. at the Howze Theater when the campus was locked down. She went back to the fitness center. She said she spoke by phone with friends at the soldier processing center, who said a gunman walked in about 1:30, walked to the medical area of the processing center, and started shooting. A second gunman was shooting at the theater next door, she said.

Fort Hood has seen other violence in recent years. In September 2008, a 21-year-old 1st Cavalry Division soldier shot his lieutenant to death and then killed himself. Spc. Jody Michael Wirawan of Eagle River, Alaska, shot himself to death after shooting 1st Lt. Robert Bartlett Fletcher, 24, of Jensen Beach, Fla. to death.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 5 November 2009, 22:57:45 »
ReplyReply

Fort Hood: Nine killed in shooting at US army base in Texas

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/05/fort-hood-texas-shooting

At least nine people were killed and as many as 30 wounded today at an army base in Texas when two gunmen opened fire.

One of the gunmen was apparently under arrest and the other was still on the loose.

The FBI were on the way to the scene to the base, which was in a state of "lockdown" tonight with no vehicles allowed in or out of the sprawling 340 square mile military installation. The shootings took place about a half hour before a scheduled graduation event involving universities located on the base, 50 miles south of Waco.

The motive of the shooters was not immediately known.

While there were initial fears that it could be the first terrorist attack on US soil since the 9/11 attacks, it is equally possible it could be disgruntled members of the service or civilians with a grudge.

They opened fire at troops in Fort Hood at a processing centre where service men and women pass through on the way to and from Afghanistan and Iraq. It is the biggest US base in the world.

Speaking on CNN, lieutenant general Russel Honore, a former commander general at the Fort Hood compound, said he had been told that two men, armed with M16 rifles, carried out the attack.

"One was neutralised and the other was cornered," he said.

Fort Hood houses some 4,929 active duty officers and 45,414 enlisted members of the army.

Barack Obama, the US president, was informed of the shooting.

Domestic killings are not normally relayed to the president but his advisers opted to tell him because a military base was involved.

With details still sketchy, Sergeant-major Jamie Posten said: "At this point right now, the shots were fired into soldiers at the processing centre. There was more than one shooter."

Given there was still one shooter on the loose, the base was in lockdown.

All roads in and out of the base were closed.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2009, 23:01:34 »
ReplyReply

Twelve shot dead at US army base

Twelve shot dead at US army base

Twelve people have been killed and 31 injured in a pair of shootings at the Fort Hood military base in Texas, a US Army spokesman has said.

One person has been arrested and at least one more is on the run, officials said. The base has been locked down.

NBC News network said the two suspects were in military uniform and that the shooter-at-large was believed to have a high-powered sniper rifle.

Fort Hood, near the town of Killeen, is the largest US base in the world.

Home to about 40,000 US troops, the base lies between Austin and Waco, about 60 miles (97 km) from each city.

It is not yet clear whether those killed and injured are civilians or military personnel.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama had been briefed on the incident. He is expected to comment during a scheduled briefing.

Army spokesman Lt Col Nathan Banks at the Pentagon told the Associated Press news agency the shootings had begun at about 1330 (1930 GMT) on Thursday at a personnel and medical processing centre at Fort Hood.

He said two shooters had been involved.

The second incident took place at a theatre on the base, he said. Emergency response officials named the site as Howze Theatre.

NBC reports that the suspect in custody is in his 20s.

At this point all those involved are believed to be military personnel, ABC reports. It says there are conflicting reports about whether there is a third shooter.

A serviceman stationed at Fort Hood who asked to remain anonymous told the BBC: "I heard the emergency announcement over the speakers outside and saw people rushing to get indoors.

"In our office we're okay but we're hearing about the deaths. It's horrible and very shocking.

"We are still on lockdown. I am hearing that at least nine people may be dead. This is so terrible and frightening."

'Saddened'

The BBC's Adam Brookes in Washington says there are military police and Swat teams on the scene, and the FBI is on the way from Austin and Waco. Schools in the area have also been locked down.

Units at Fort Hood are among those deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and some will have returned from there, our correspondent says. The base has a centre that deals with combat stress, he adds.

Hilary Shine, of the Killeen Fire Department told the BBC's News Channel Fort Hood was like a small city.

"It has schools, a hospital, a convenience store even. And it has a large daytime population - including civilians working on the base - with as many as 80,000 in this area during the daytime."

Local congressman John Carter, speaking to NBC News, said gunfire had erupted half an hour before a graduation ceremony was due to begin.

Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson said in a statement: "I am shocked and saddened by today's outburst of violence at Fort Hood that has cost seven of our brave service members their lives and has gravely injured others.

"My heart goes out to their loved ones."

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2009, 23:04:32 »
ReplyReply

info on Fort Hood: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/fort-hood.htm
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 5 November 2009, 23:15:02 »
ReplyReply

Belgian TV news reports:

3 shooters: 1 killed, 2 arrested

12 dead and 30 injured

a sad and dark day
Mad Russian

« Reply #6 on: 6 November 2009, 05:57:51 »
ReplyReply

1 shooter....he is alive.

12 dead and 31 wounded.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_re_us/us_fort_hood_shooting

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 6 November 2009, 16:11:39 »
ReplyReply

Too bad he survived...
I foresee a long jurisdictional fight in courtrooms with lawyers fighting to get him off deathrow....
It will be a nice chance for those rats to prove themselves and get big (money) cases later.

But lets hope justice will win in the end.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 6 November 2009, 18:52:28 »
ReplyReply

Too bad he survived...
I foresee a long jurisdictional fight in courtrooms with lawyers fighting to get him off deathrow....
It will be a nice chance for those rats to prove themselves and get big (money) cases later.

But lets hope justice will win in the end.

killing a killer doesn't solve anything...read/watch the numbers on executions and crime in the states of the US where they still execute people...

I see a great discipline in the (MP?) forces who knocked him out, they easily could've blown him into pieces but they didn't...

another wounded soldier died...the 13th

the killer seems to be a major-psychiatrist who, not confirmed, would be sent to war for the 1st time from Jordan-Palestine origin
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 6 November 2009, 20:24:22 »
ReplyReply

killing a killer doesn't solve anything...read/watch the numbers on executions and crime in the states of the US where they still execute people...

On the contrary, it prevents re-offending and that is a worthwhile outcome.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 7 November 2009, 00:59:50 »
ReplyReply

MontyB sez: On the contrary, it prevents re-offending and that is a worthwhile outcome.

Regardless of the judicial outcome of this case, he shan't have the opportunity to repeat this performance. Even should he succeed in achieving a diminished capacity defense, his life wont be worth a plug nickle where ever they send him. He shall spend the rest of his days in isolation for his own protection, and that shall be a well deserved hell of its own.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2009, 03:40:54 »
ReplyReply

In wartime you can be shot for disobeying a direct order of a superior.  Disobeying a direct order pales in comparison to what happened here.  If he doesn't get executed, it's going to be a friggin' joke.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2009, 21:35:16 »
ReplyReply

click for full-size

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2009, 23:08:45 »
ReplyReply

And I am not at all sure about that...

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2009, 02:24:25 »
ReplyReply

Not sure about which statement Matt?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2009, 05:23:51 »
ReplyReply

abot Montie´s:

I do not think that Death Penalty prevents re-offending by others from an exemplary POV.

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2009, 07:45:14 »
ReplyReply

I tend to agree with Matt as I have not seen a corresponding effect even though we still carry the death penalty in most states. It appears that statistically, Matt's observation is correct. And no I don't want to get into an argument over what constitutes statistics, lets please leave that for another discussion.

ps. I am quite torn by the argument as I understand very well the feelings of vengeance, as well as the feelings that "an eye for an eye" shall one day leave us all blind. I would not wish to strip a families desire for vengeance, yet I still hope for an evolution away from the state of mind that sustains that desire.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2009, 07:52:35 by FACman » Logged

Mad Russian

« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2009, 08:03:21 »
ReplyReply

Would you leave a rotten apple in your ice box?

Same applies to these type cases as far as I'm concerned.

He knew the consequences of these actions long before he took them. It seems the woman that shot him has left him paralyzed for the rest of his life. However long that will be.

As an aside in this instance I have no problem with leaving him alive for life. IMO he can rot and never become a martyr for the cause.

Interesting the different points of view when you take into account your sides position that only your side is/can be right.

Good Hunting.

MR
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2009, 12:38:35 »
ReplyReply

Would I leave a rotten apple in my icebox? Nope, sure wouldn't. However, I have difficulty with the analogy of apples and people being of equal status as far as their value is concerned. Though the thought of him residing in prison as quad/para plegic for the rest of his hopefully really, really,really long life brings a certain scent of justice to my way of thinking, but then again, Im a sick puppy when it comes to vengeance. Had I a family member amongst the victims, i'd be working real hard to get on the same cellblock. However when I think of him becoming a martyr, the prospect of keeping him in a deep dark cell begins to appeal to me as well. As for being right, or having the answer to the dilemma, I am quite willing to sit on this fence until I acquire enough wisdom to answer the question, but I warn you...'dont hold your breath'. Culturally I am disposed to take him out with the trashy apple I found in my icebox, but philosophically I hope for enlightenment. I must have some Libra influence in my chart somewhere...

Mad Russian

« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2009, 16:58:48 »
ReplyReply

My own personal feelings are that simply isolating him from society is good enough. The bad apple was a very simplistic analogy to show you that SOMETHING has to be done. Maybe you turn the apple into cider by letting it continue it's decomposition.

Who knows.

I was commenting on societies as a whole not  your comments specifically. While I was sitting here thinking of how indignant we are at his actions. There are those that see that as heroic and who see our own actions as barbaric.

In WWII the most interesting thing was that both sides involved the Will of God to help them win. Seems like his decision on the subject was pretty one sided.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166077 | Sitemap