29 March 2024, 06:34:47 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Results From the Storm  (Read 4828 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 26 January 2009, 11:39:27 »
ReplyReply

Don´t know whether this has made intl news, but for the last three days we were hit by a devastating storm here in Spain, mainly affecting the North and the Mediterranean coast and islands.

The worst hit early Saturday morning, with wind speeds above 200 km/h in the North (and in France) and 150 km/h still here in Mallorca.

In total 12 deaths throughut the country (fallentrees, walls, etc), the worst case having happened in Barcelona where some kids took refuge of the wind in a sports facitliy that then collapsed, 4 kids between 9 and 12 yrs killed.

A bif fire in the Valencia region (15.000 evacuated from their houses) due to a fallen High Tension Mast.

Some Clips:

Barcelona Disaster:

In my neighbour village the 100 yrs old outer dyke of the port got destroyed by two 15 mtr waves:

My house lost part of its roof, satellite dish, weather station and a pergola in front (though it was not hit as heavy as bythe one in October (http://ohlmer.es/blog/140 & http://ohlmer.es/blog/173). My boat survived.

Rattler

« Last Edit: 28 November 2009, 08:58:40 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2009, 12:33:39 »
ReplyReply

yes it was on the news, I have seen the images.
Natures hits us hard sometimes.
If I judge the videos than I see there are still fools who go near the water when its very dangerous Bedroefd
I hate these guys, they risk their lives, and even worse rescueworkers  has to risk theirs too because idiots like that expects to be saved.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your house, but the most important part is you survived.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2009, 13:36:32 »
ReplyReply

If I judge the videos than I see there are still fools who go near the water when its very dangerous Bedroefd
I hate these guys, they risk their lives, and even worse rescueworkers  has to risk theirs too because idiots like that expects to be saved.

Indeed.

On saturday I saw a 7-9 yr old child playing on the beach, when every 50th wave (we had 4 mtrs waves at that time rolling onto the beach) completely covered it and the sea already had carried various big stones of 20-50 kg on the beach. You get into one of those waves and even an adult will have problems getting out again, you get hit by a stone that size and thats it...

I saw the parents (turned out they were German tourists) sitting in a bar nearby and went to them to inform them of the danger.

Not only did they not call their kid off the beach but they even laughed at me and, when I insisted, became insultive. Only when I told them that I thought they needed some institutional help in their decision making process so I would call the police and took out my mobile did they react, called their child and left the village, still insulting me on the way to their car.

Unbelievable.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2009, 16:02:48 »
ReplyReply

I know, I had an old man last year.
Storm blew of 2 x 2 meter steel plates from a flat near my home.
So I put on my uniform and assisted local police to hold back people and what we call disastertourists..
And like you say a lot people do become violent if they cannot go where they want to go.
This man to and after I warned him 3 times he got arrested for calling me names......

its so stupid.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2009, 02:39:59 »
ReplyReply

Millions are without power here in the United States as our latest winter storm went across the country. Ice dropped power lines and 100,000's may be without power for as along as another month. All within the past 2 days.

Good Hunting.

MR
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 1 February 2009, 19:28:58 »
ReplyReply

we had 1.5 millions w/o power til wednesday, now only 7000 left, but for those it might also take a few month,

Rattler

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 1 February 2009, 21:20:53 »
ReplyReply

Dont get me wrong but I think its strange, here we have all major cables underground.
It will not get destoyed during heavy winds, icerain and other troubles.

Why does the US stick to the old style poles above the ground?

Mad Russian

« Reply #7 on: 1 February 2009, 23:49:31 »
ReplyReply

Money. You have any idea how much it would cost to replace the miles and miles of above ground cables with underground?

That's why they haven't done it yet. When the cost to repair it becomes more than the cost to fix it then the cables will go underground. All new construction has underground cables. All old construction has above ground wires.

Good Hunting.

MR
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2 February 2009, 10:05:09 »
ReplyReply

Thats what i thought, money.....
But some states which have frequent visits from tornadoes have them above the ground.
You would think that burying them is cheaper than fixing them several times a year.

Mad Russian

« Reply #9 on: 2 February 2009, 14:19:28 »
ReplyReply

Still cheaper to replace a 1 mile stretch of above ground wire than to lay 40 miles underground to get that section below ground.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166527 | Sitemap