29 March 2024, 06:14:15 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Man survived both atomic bombings  (Read 2654 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 25 March 2009, 21:00:58 »
ReplyReply

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7963581.stm

Japan has certified a man aged 93 as the only known survivor of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both hit by atomic bombs towards the end of World War II.

Tsutomu Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on 6 August 1945 when a US plane dropped the first atomic bomb.

He suffered serious burns and spent a night there before returning to his home city of Nagasaki just before it was bombed on 9 August.

He said he hoped his experience held a lesson of peace for future generations.

'Horrifying history'

It was already recorded that Mr Yamaguchi had survived the Nagasaki bomb but on Tuesday officials recognised that he had been in Hiroshima as well.

More than 200,000 people were killed in the two atomic bombings

Certification as a hibakusha or radiation survivor qualifies Japanese citizens for government compensation, including medical check-ups, and funeral costs.

His double dose of atomic bombs, however, does not mean Mr Yamaguchi's compensation will increase, a Nagasaki city official said.

"My double radiation exposure is now an official government record," Mr Yamaguchi told reporters.

"It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die."

About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Many survivors fell sick with radiation-related illnesses, including cancers, for years after the bombings.

Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2009, 21:48:45 »
ReplyReply

Your post reminded me of reading of a man who survived both atomic blasts in 1945.  A quick search led me to the Time-Life series of WWII books, in the volume entitled The Fall of Japan, p.128, tells the story of Shigeyoshi Morimoto who was on business in Hiroshima and returned home to Nagasaki in time to tell his wife of "a great blue flash" and then get hit by another.  The source of this story is not clear; a google search of his name leads to two citations of this story one in a forum and one in a poem from a New Zealand poet. 

I wonder if the Japanese government ever recognized Mr. Morimoto, too.
« Last Edit: 26 March 2009, 02:11:14 by Alan65 » Logged
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2009, 00:47:19 »
ReplyReply

This is exactly why I'd rather be 'Lucky', than 'Good'.

ays,

J

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166327 | Sitemap