19 April 2024, 21:32:46 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Attack on the royal family  (Read 5814 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 30 April 2009, 18:12:08 »
ReplyReply

Today we celebrate the birthday of our queen mother Juliana.
Her daughter, the present queen, Beatrix, decided to keep this date to celebrate her birthday to.
This was the 100th anniversary.
1000s of people worked for months in preparations for all kind of festivities.

Around 12 in the afternoon a man 38 years old drove with his car through the barricades and tried to hit the royal families bus.
He missed the bus but he injured 13 people and killed 4.
Among the injured are 6 people with a mental handicap and a colleague from the military police.
The driver of the car was severe injured too and is now under surgery.

Instead of a big party this day turned into a dark day.
My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2009, 19:47:59 »
ReplyReply

a guy at work told me this afternoon and I saw a short youtube clip...ruining THE day in the Netherlands

what a shock....what can you have AGAINST the Dutch Royal family?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2009, 20:33:04 »
ReplyReply

http://www.rtl.nl/components/actueel/rtlnieuws/miMedia/2009/week18/do_1200_apeldoorn.avi_plain.xml

http://www.rtl.nl/components/actueel/rtlnieuws/miMedia/2009/week18/do_1200_apeldoorn.avi_plain.xml (shocking)

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2009, 23:11:01 »
ReplyReply

...what can you have AGAINST the Dutch Royal family?

Probably Republican?

Seriously, I am shattered:

I have had the chance to pass Queens Day in NL several time with friends, always a great party, I just cannot grab why someone would do something like that.

Anything known about the driver yet (havent had time to check the net yet)?

A dark day indeed, my thoughts with the families of the victims and with the Royal Famil also.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2009, 23:17:12 »
ReplyReply

On reviewing the vids, maybe this was not an assault but some tragic accident (like a heart attack of driver)?

He seemed to have hit something before he entered there, the car was already heavily battered...?

If a deliberate attack, homophobe bkgnd?

Rattler

EDIT: Went through the news, seems to have been deliberate after all... R.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2009, 23:30:37 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2009, 09:19:50 »
ReplyReply

the car was already heavily battered

in one the 'homevideos' you can hear the numerous hits from when he hits people...
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2009, 09:35:39 »
ReplyReply

the guy died this night in hospital....maybe not cool for those who want revenge but better for those who are in schock after loosing a family member

5 people died: 3 men and 2 women

3 children with the ages of 9,15 & 16 are wounded
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2009, 14:02:41 »
ReplyReply

The only thing known about this guy is that he lost his job a few months ago and was going to lose his house because he couldnt pay the rent anymore.
For the near future security will probably be changed, roadblocks and more heavier armed policemen/soldiers at strategic places.
I can foresee huge traffic problems next year due to tough securitymeasures.

There were two fences on the road, he hit the first fence  seconds before he crashed through the people watching the queens bus.
Worst thing here is that you are absolutely powerless to avoid something like this.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2009, 14:41:02 »
ReplyReply

Worst thing here is that you are absolutely powerless to avoid something like this.

No matter where you are you are absolutely powerless to avoid something like this if you live in a free country where the citizens have rights and the rulers aren't afraid of their citizens.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2009, 14:53:26 »
ReplyReply

I know MR you are right.
The man you see with the destroyed knee is one of the people who died
Monday and tuesday are 4 and 5 may, remembrance and liberation day.
I havent heard anything about new security measures but they will be tougher than usual.
On several locations concrete barriers were put besides major roads this morning.

The queen will be in Amsterdam on may 4, but I dont think that she will be that openly visible to the public anymore.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2009, 14:58:55 »
ReplyReply

Spanish News has it that Queens Day will be cancelled in the future.

Rattler

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2009, 20:50:29 »
ReplyReply

7th victim dies... a civilian police co-worker
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2009, 20:59:10 »
ReplyReply

Not exactly.
It was a civilian staffmember from the military police.

Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2009, 05:23:16 »
ReplyReply

The news on this was pretty thin up here in the Pacific Northwest.  Apparently it wasn't that big of a deal when compared to the dow jones stock market roller coaster and the swine flu epidemic, or whatever they are calling it from hour to hour.

I figured I would get more details from you guys, and I was right.  What a horrible thing.  As Koen said, what can one have against the Dutch Royals?  As this sort of collective insanity continues to build, the cry goes up about how can we prevent this from happening again, as it always does.  Perhaps a police database that includes people who are about to lose their house and job will do the trick.  I am, of course, proposing the impossible.

My sympathy to the victims and the Dutch people.  One more of the many public moments of collective enjoyment will be sacrificed to the altar of Guaranteed Safety, due to the unthinkable acts of jerks and skels of the world.

The disturbing trend over here is now parents slaughtering their entire families and then killing themselves, due to their "desperate" situations.  The killing of innocents is becoming more common, where previously, the individual would only kill themselves, and not decide the fate of their children.

Sadly, I am sure that somewhere here, an individual with a grievance will try to copy the killer in the attack on the Royal Family, and drive his car through the crowd at a parade somewhere.  Perhaps we should ban cars....

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2009, 11:44:30 »
ReplyReply

Indeed, where should security start and where should it end?

Would people feel like partying when they have to pass 3 security checkpoints and when about 1/3 of the audience are police or secret police?

And about the measures people take when something bad happens in their life: why kill someone else when you do something wrong...wanna commit suicide? well, that's your choice but why kill your children and wife? or someone in a school or such? Never understood this...

What I am 'FOR' is to punish banks when they hand out loans to easily...when you look at families who got 3 loans at the same time...for the car, the house and the garden???....1/3 to 1/2 of their paychecks are for paying loans...when something bad happens as when dad or mum get the sack they go from heaven to hell in 1 day...

And believe me, moneytrouble is one of the major causes of bad acting...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44456016 | Sitemap