21 November 2019, 05:21:37 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Sd.kfz. 184 Der Elefant  (Read 4517 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 13 January 2013, 09:50:01 »
ReplyReply

Knocked out Ferdinands,

Kursk 1943

Italy 1944
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2014, 13:02:14 »
ReplyReply

The Tigers originally produced by Porsche in 1942 were used to build a new tankhunter, the Sdkfz 184 named Ferdinand, later nicknamed Elefant.
These Ferdinands were transferred to jagdpanzer regiment 656 (Abteilung 653 had 45 and abteilung 654 had 44 vehicles) and saw action in the Kursk offensive in july 1943.
The Ferdinand suffered from several issues, it was very slow and had no machinegun, therefore it was very vulnerable to close infantry attacks  (hence the nickname Elefant).
The vehicles had good points as well, its thick armor protected against any known anti-tank weapon at that time while its own gun could hit targets at 2 km away.
The remaining 50 vehicles (91 were made) were equiped with a machinegun, a better protection for the driver and commander and a larger ammo storage.
All vehicles ended up in Italy.

Specifications:
Crew:           6
Length:    8,14 m
Width:   3,38 m
Heigth:    2,97m
Weight:    70 ton

Armor front: 200 mm, side 80mm
Main gun: 88mm PaK 43 L/71
Secundairy gun: 7,92mm MG34 ( modified Elefant, not on Ferdinand)
Engine: 2 x Maybach HL 120 TRM / 12-cilinder / 265-300hp
Speed on road: 20-30 km/u
Average distance: 150 km (roads), 90 km (terrain)

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 27065853 | Sitemap