18 April 2024, 19:31:53 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Pz IV type G with zimmerit and skirts  (Read 11485 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 21 November 2008, 13:11:19 »
ReplyReply

Original picture removed, replaced by this one.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2008, 14:58:45 »
ReplyReply

The number said nothing about the unit, its simply 2nd vehicle,second platoon, 6th company.
The clothing could be simple coats stolen from jewish civilians.
The SS had huge magazines full of furcoats and other warm clothing.
The grenade you see is a hollow charge, magnetic mine.
It can be put onto the hull of a tank, the explosion than wrecks the inside of the tank because the tanks armor splinters due to the power of the blast.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 5 January 2009, 01:54:51 »
ReplyReply

Actually a shaped charge forms a very high temperture jet of material that literally burns a hole through the armor plate like a cutting torch, only much hotter.  The hot jet of flame and molten metal blasts into the interior of the tank, destroying and setting on fire anything in its path.

Not a good place t be when it happens.   Bedroefd

The plates you see attached to later model tanks can defeat the hollow charge by having it go off too far away from the main armor to be able to penetrate.

***von Staudt***
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 5 January 2009, 22:27:02 »
ReplyReply

Actually a shaped charge forms a very high temperture jet of material that literally burns a hole through the armor plate like a cutting torch, only much hotter.  The hot jet of flame and molten metal blasts into the interior of the tank, destroying and setting on fire anything in its path.

The plates you see attached to later model tanks can defeat the hollow charge by having it go off too far away from the main armor to be able to penetrate.

ok, useful, thx

isn't this the same procedure that's still being used?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2009, 22:16:39 »
ReplyReply

panzer IV?
which type?
are the numbers red with white lining?
are those colours specific to a certain division?
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2009, 22:34:59 »
ReplyReply

ok, useful, thx

isn't this the same procedure that's still being used?

Yes.  Any "shaped charges" use the same principle, called the Monroe Effect.  Here is a good article about it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge

Some of the WW2 weapons are the Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck, bazooka, and the mine in the picture.  Here is another Wikipedia link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bazooka

***von Staudt***
Mad Russian

« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2009, 00:48:23 »
ReplyReply

panzer IV?
which type?
are the numbers red with white lining?
are those colours specific to a certain division?

Yes PzIV, see the muzzle brake? A PziII didn't have a muzzle brake.

Since there are no side skirts on either the body  or the turret and the shape of the muzzle brake I would say it is an early model PzIV G.

The photo is black and white Koen....how is anyone supposed to tell you the color of the numbering?

The colors could be specific to a division to the units they were assigned to but more than one unit used red numbering.

Good Hunting.

MR
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2009, 19:29:39 »
ReplyReply

I think that's either an early or mid-production PzIVG (depends on how you count) at the third battle for Kharkov since one of the soldiers wears SS decals on his helmet. Number is very likely white outline only, although that is indeed difficult to tell. 

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2009, 20:58:29 »
ReplyReply

I think that's either an early or mid-production PzIVG (depends on how you count) at the third battle for Kharkov since one of the soldiers wears SS decals on his helmet. Number is very likely white outline only, although that is indeed difficult to tell. 

it's indeed almost impossible to tell what the colours are but any well based guess is ok for me  hatsoff

thanks for the extra info
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2009, 10:06:40 »
ReplyReply

If you look close to the letters you can tell what it is.
The numbers have no colour , only outlined white on the basic camo.
You can see this by looking at the last number, there you can see two shades of camo inside the number.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44444241 | Sitemap