20 January 2020, 19:48:45 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: My Tour of Duty, Interview & 'Soundtrack'  (Read 48543 times)
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 12 May 2010, 14:16:22 »
ReplyReply

I suspect the Congo would be very much like Vietnam, humidity is a factor. I recall one operation (in vicinity of 'The Rockpile') where our initial humping was done in 8-10 foot tall elephant grass in 110+f temps. The humidity down in the elephant grass was atrocious, with no wind at all. By noon we started having heat casualties, and had to leave several pockets of ill Marines (with security) to recover. We stopped for the day only when our K9 handler said his dog needed medivac because he had unexpectedly started bleeding from his nose. What an eye opener, Marines could go down without medivac but not the dog.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 19 September 2010, 19:13:39 »
ReplyReply

Jody, about the KIA

did all return to the US?
are their cemeteries/graves of GI's in Laos, Cambodja or Vietnam?
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 25 September 2010, 06:23:21 »
ReplyReply

how did/does the 'cominghome' works?
are all soldiers buried together in the US?
can you tell us what road they travel from the battlefield to their final restingplace?

I believe the KIAs were transported to Travis AFB in Ca. initially. If the KIA was identified, his body would be returned to his family. If the KIA was unidentified, it would have to go to a military forensics lab for identification. Since we didn't have DNA testing like today, I suspect that there may have been some inadvertant errors made, which we may well never know about. Perhaps that is just as well. The KIAs would be buried as per the request of their families, some were buried in private cemetaries near their hometowns/families, while others were buried at National Military Cemetaries located across the US. The VA's National Cemetery Administration maintains 131 national cemeteries in 39 states (and Puerto Rico) as well as 33 soldier's lots and monument sites.

I am not very knowledgable on this subject, as upon my return and for many years after, I did my best to forget about those who didnt come home. Not out of disrespect, but out of the sheer pain the memories would bring to the surface. It took 26 years before I was able to even begin looking for Doc's family, to tell them of the circumstances of his death. It was a difficult and painful task, but I was successful and his family knows that he died trying to save the life of a wounded Marine. He shall always remain a Hero in my heart for his actions that day and if there is an afterlife, I shall surely seek him out. It is only now, in my waning years that I can look back without internalizing that pain. Dont get me wrong, it is every bit as painful, its just that my callouses have toughened up and perhaps I find a need to remember those I may soon meet again.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2010, 06:32:53 by FACman » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: 21 December 2010, 00:38:09 »
ReplyReply

Music I listened to when young, Wolfman Jack beig one transporter.

Jody, any idea what happened to the group members? Are they still there? Alive at least?

Rattler

Mayhaps a spot of tea to go with this party...
<Quoted Image Removed>

Grace Slick, inspiration for many a young SF man.
Crank it up!

Somebody To Love/White Rabbit Jefferson Airplane

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: 21 December 2010, 00:46:14 »
ReplyReply

This is from Quicksilver's first album....but still part of my Tour 'Soundtrack'

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Gold and Silver

Music wise thats kind of "Take 5", (after 0:18 into the Quicksilver vid) no? Intended? Inspired? Did this song mean anything yto you guys going ´Nam? Nerdy guys in suits not moving a bit but displaying more talent and musical knowledge than many other "wild" groups at that time (I know, thats 61, and before war, but still?)

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961)

Rattler
« Last Edit: 21 December 2010, 00:52:31 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 21 December 2010, 03:08:28 »
ReplyReply

Jody, any idea what happened to the group members?

Grace Slick- vocals
Interview with Grace Slick

Marty Balin- vocals, guitar
MARTY BALIN - "Count On Me" & "With Your Love" January 23rd, 2010

Paul Kantner- vocals, guitar
The Baby Tree - Paul Kantner & Jefferson Starship (2006) HD

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 21 December 2010, 03:26:53 »
ReplyReply

Jody, any idea what happened to the group members?

Jorma Kaukonen- guitar
Jack Casady- bass

Welcome to the Fur Peace Ranch

Spencer Dryden- drums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Dryden

As you can see, all but Spencer are still alive and well.

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 21 December 2010, 03:35:25 »
ReplyReply

Did this song mean anything to you guys going ´Nam? Nerdy guys in suits not moving a bit but displaying more talent and musical knowledge than many other "wild" groups at that time

I can only speak for myself here, I had no exposure to jazz until long after my ToD, and little interest in music, other than the SF music scene, until well after my ToD as well. I do not reject the chance that the band members were influenced by other musicians, in fact I would be surprised if they hadn't been.

Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 27613615 | Sitemap