2 April 2020, 14:16:25 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: KMS Prinz Eugen  (Read 12992 times)
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« on: 7 March 2010, 08:07:06 »
ReplyReply

The Prinz Eugen is without a doubt my favourite ship of WW2 so I have been collecting pictures as I find them and figured I would post them here:

Just after commissioning:

Returning from Operation Rheinübung:

February 1942 Stern Damage from a British torpedo:

October 1944 Prinz Eugen rams the Leipzig:

Surrender in Copenhagen

Prinz Eugen passing through the Panama Canal 1946:

Prinz Eugen having survived the Bikini Atoll tests being washed down:

Capsized off Enubuh Island:

The Prinz Eugen as seen from Google Maps

I also tend to use this site a lot as a resource:
http://www.prinzeugen.com/PGIND.htm
« Last Edit: 8 March 2010, 01:17:40 by MontyB » Logged

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 7 March 2010, 20:38:46 »
ReplyReply

Monty,

really great stuff, thanks for posting it!

When looking at the first pics it remnds me greatly of my modelling tme, looks like one of those "Revell" plastic models of my childhood!

Great stuff!

Rattler (acting TA atm)

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 March 2010, 01:15:07 »
ReplyReply

I am not sure what it is about the ship that has kept me interested but I have been fascinated by it for years now, I think that given the poor performance of the German surface fleet during WW2 and the that the Prinz Eugen remained active throughout the war, took part in some of the major successes and survived to surrender under its own steam make it somewhat unique.  

Hell it even survived an atomic bomb and in the end chose its own burial place and not many ships can claim that.

Odd that you should mention models as I built a 2 meter long model of it for my High School senior year engineering project.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 8 March 2010, 20:01:24 »
ReplyReply

I am not sure what it is about the ship that has kept me interested but I have been fascinated by it for years now, I think that given the poor performance of the German surface fleet during WW2 and the that the Prinz Eugen remained active throughout the war, took part in some of the major successes and survived to surrender under its own steam make it somewhat unique.  

Hell it even survived an atomic bomb and in the end chose its own burial place and not many ships can claim that.

Odd that you should mention models as I built a 2 meter long model of it for my High School senior year engineering project.

2m  urock
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2011, 00:13:29 »
ReplyReply

2m  urock

Hehe I had been planning the build for a couple of years before so it did not take long once I got started, I built the hull and superstructure from pressed aluminium as I could get rivet marks to show up easier and they wouldn't wear as quickly, decking was wood and the guns were lathed steel.

It was one of the most enjoyable projects I have ever done, originally I was going to try and and make it an RC ship but I ran out of time and I don't think I could have built the level of control into it that I wanted but it does have three operational motors and servos/electric motors for rudder control, gun rotation and elevation.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2011, 00:34:06 »
ReplyReply

Well, when I was 16 yrs old in school or so I started building a "Bismarck" 1:40 (still around 6 metres) parted up in 3 parts (else no transport legally) and even finished it basically.

At that time (we are talking almost 40+ yrs in the past) I had the idea to have actualy firing cannons, cameras to monitor progress from afar and such, today that is probably standard (bigguns models? Airsoft guns? Of course my project was bigger, bigguns I think is 1:200 max) but wasnt then:

2007 Ohio RC Warship Combat Highlights

Anyway, the project never was finished (it was too expensicve at that time, and then I got too old) and it never met water, but the plans (and even some major parts of the construction) still are here.

Rattler
« Last Edit: 29 May 2011, 00:42:13 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2011, 00:44:51 »
ReplyReply

Sounds like we had similar plans but sadly firing cannons was put on the back burner due to time constraints and it has only been recently that controllers locally have become available with camera functions (New Zealand is not into modelling my local store was 400km away), I did manage to get it stabilised in the water using lead ballast however it sat slightly lower than the original but that was deliberate to provide a stable firing platform should I ever get the guns to operate.

I felt the easiest option was to go with a welded aluminium hull and superstructure as it was light weight and strong but it also required a lot of counterbalancing.

The funny thing is that I have never been a fan of the Bismark even though it was an elegant ship, I think my issue with it was that it never achieved anything other than become a twisted pile of junk on the ocean floor much like most of the Kriegsmarine, where as the Prinz Eugen was probably one of the most active ships of WW2.

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2011, 00:51:04 »
ReplyReply

wll, as we were fighting platforms there were rules: Superstructure had to be cardboard (to allow penetration of bullets and sinking).

Rattler

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 28442435 | Sitemap