18 April 2024, 18:20:07 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: The Money of War  (Read 208613 times)
Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: 16 September 2009, 09:51:59 »
ReplyReply

Just allow me to post one "special payment" ticket in Spanish Civil War times.

This ticket is from the republican band September 1936, just a month since war began. Republicans were the "red" legitime government.

In this payment ticket you can read "Vale por seis "porvos" con la Lola". (It shoul really say "polvos", but the authority should have no many studies.

The traslation will be more or less. The ticket was giving the soldier the opportunity of "having 6 sex relations with Lola (a Spanish female name, of which is suppossed to be a prostitute).

At the end of the ticket you can read " No se puede transferir" (No transfer allowed), so it only could be used by the authorized person who won the payment of that.

Just like a curiosity of payment in war.

Best

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: 16 September 2009, 12:21:30 »
ReplyReply

Absolutely great find, Solideo!

On the other hand, while it is "polvo" (in Spanish: "echar un polvo" = colloquial for "ejaculate"), I think at that time they (at least that is what my wife always explained to me) looked for words that sounded alike, but didn´t mean it, other examples: "gillipuertas" (instead of "gillipollas"), "ostras!" instead of "hostias", "puchas!" for "puta(da)!", etc.

Any chance the guy spelled it deliberately diffently?

Just thinking,

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Solideo
Sergeant Major

Spain

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: 16 September 2009, 14:36:57 »
ReplyReply

Absolutely great find, Solideo!

On the other hand, while it is "polvo" (in Spanish: "echar un polvo" = colloquial for "ejaculate"), I think at that time they (at least that is what my wife always explained to me) looked for words that sounded alike, but didn´t mean it, other examples: "gillipuertas" (instead of "gillipollas"), "ostras!" instead of "hostias", "puchas!" for "puta(da)!", etc.

Any chance the guy spelled it deliberately diffently?

Just thinking,

Rattler

Don´t belive that, I simply think the guy had the studies were usual in that time. Almost nothing I mean. In andaluz (Spanish way of accent of south Spain, and even part of Extremadura) when you say that sounds like "porvo" (remember the video clases de andaluz posted sometime ago). If your culture is limited probably you write it like sounds to you. He also says LA Lola, it´s not gramatically correct to put LA before the name of a person (nombre propio), although it´s quite usual in Catalonia and low culture speakers everywhere.

Those times were hard and probably political did much being "somebody" into the army without watching your curriculum.

Best, mate.

I don´t wanna sign anything without a lawyer by my side
the_13th_redneck
Sergeant Major

Korea, Republic of

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: 20 September 2009, 19:47:03 »
ReplyReply

Awesome find and an ingenius payment method.
Maybe "Lola" was slang for prostitute, hence the "la."

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: 20 September 2009, 21:45:17 »
ReplyReply

Awesome find and an ingenius payment method.
Maybe "Lola" was slang for prostitute, hence the "la."

In southern Spain (and by uneducated people like me) it is common to add an article to a name, especially so if it is a nick name (though it is completely against grammatical rules): "Mari" becomes "La Mari", "Chucho" becomes "El Chucho":

Example: "Bebé" and "Mari Chambao", listen to the introduction (and the song of cause, which is a revelation) "la Mari" introduces "La Bebé":

Chambao y Bebe

And, Lola is not a synonym for prostitute that I knew of (but Solideo can comment better)

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
erpace
Private

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 29 September 2009, 20:42:59 »
ReplyReply

I am interested in selling the Alliierte Militarbehorde Marks that I have I have 4- Hundert Mark Bills, 1- Zwanzig Mark, 2- Funf Marks and 1-Eine Mark. They are Deutschland series 1944. I have no idea of the collector value. I got them when I was in the Army in Germany in 1976. I also have some Iraqui Money with Saddam Hussein's image on them. My daughter got them while serving in Baghdad 4 years ago. Would you be interested or know someone who is ?   Thank You Respectfully, Ellen R. Pace
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: 29 September 2009, 22:48:54 »
ReplyReply

I am interested in selling the Alliierte Militarbehorde Marks that I have I have 4- Hundert Mark Bills, 1- Zwanzig Mark, 2- Funf Marks and 1-Eine Mark. They are Deutschland series 1944. I have no idea of the collector value. I got them when I was in the Army in Germany in 1976. I also have some Iraqui Money with Saddam Hussein's image on them. My daughter got them while serving in Baghdad 4 years ago. Would you be interested or know someone who is ?   Thank You Respectfully, Ellen R. Pace

PM sent, erpace, with website advice to research values and request for scans.  I'm always interested!
(I also forgot to mention your local library:  they should have a Pick or Krause catalog with all of these items listed for you to see catalog values--which aren't equal to what a dealer would necessarily pay.)
erpace
Private

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 5 October 2009, 22:45:05 »
ReplyReply

soon as i figure out how to scan them i will send them to you thanks
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: 7 November 2009, 19:46:36 »
ReplyReply

Breaking my rule--a bit--with this banknote. It's not really from war-time, but portrays a military leader, the Duke of Caxias, Luiz Alves de Lima e Silva, and a battle scene on the back.  The Duke was a leader from the 1850s to 1870s in Brazil.  This battle scene could be one from one of the separatist wars he fought in or the Paraguayan War (1864-70).
The note itself was issued c.1981-84.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: 7 November 2009, 19:57:20 »
ReplyReply

10 yuan money from The Central Bank of China dated 1941.

The 1942 100 Yuan note from the same bank.

the Central Bank of China's 1945 5,000 yuan note.  Notice the values going up because of war inflation and also that by this time, the English had been removed from the back.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: 13 November 2009, 05:29:25 »
ReplyReply

this 20 reichsmark note was issued 16 April 1939 and shows a young woman holding edelweiss; a similar image was used on the 1936 Austria 100 schilling note.

The 100 marks note pictured here is from the US Occupation authority and is similar to other denominations pictured in posts above.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2009, 05:48:07 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 13 November 2009, 05:37:20 »
ReplyReply

Pictured here are the 1- and 2- Lira notes from Italy issued in November of 1939.  Wikipedia tells us that in 1939, $1=19.8 lire so these are worth approximately a nickel and a dime at the time.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2009, 05:47:30 by Alan65 » Logged
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: 13 November 2009, 05:46:33 »
ReplyReply

I really think Japanese paper money can be pretty so I'll show both the front and back of this note from 1916.  Similar to many banknotes of the early 20-th century, this one "promises to pay the bearer on demand One Yen in silver."
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: 13 November 2009, 05:50:42 »
ReplyReply

This is the 1943 issue of the 1 shilling note from Malta.  One shilling was 12 pence or 1/20th of a pound sterling.  King George VI is on the front; the back is blank.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 13 November 2009, 05:59:44 »
ReplyReply

The 50-cent note issued for US military personnel in Europe and Asia.  Series 521 was valid from 1954 to 1958.

Here is the 10-cent copy.
heidicasel
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 24 February 2010, 05:26:52 »
ReplyReply

would love any information on the WWII 1944, 100 paper money, Alliierte Militarbehorde. what is it worth? do banks in America buy them back? salute
thank you in advance
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 10 March 2010, 02:14:57 »
ReplyReply

would love any information on the WWII 1944, 100 paper money, Alliierte Militarbehorde. what is it worth? do banks in America buy them back? salute
thank you in advance

sorry for the delay!

the 9-digit serial number notes can range in catalog value from $10 to $80 depending on condition; the 8-digit serial numbered notes from $5 to $a thousand (depends on condition and if there is a tiny 'F' in the scroll work.  The government doesn't buy them, but currency dealers and collectors do.  You should expect to pay around catalog value to buy them and expect to get less than that when selling.
there are 1/2 mark, 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 1,000 mark denominations.  It was valid only in the country printed on it, denominated in the local currency, valid for civilian and occupation troop use and under the direct control of the country's Commander in Chief of the Military Government.  You will notice French, Austrian, Japanese and Italian notes of similar design and use are also listed above.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 29 May 2010, 23:04:40 »
ReplyReply

50 centimes note from 1944.  Issued when the French re-gained control of the area.

and here is the Algeria 2 franc note from the same year.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 29 May 2010, 23:09:53 »
ReplyReply

The Australia 10 shilling note of 1939.  This series was issued in 1939-40 and wasn't replaced until the '50s so it was used throughout the war.  It comes in 5-, 10-shillings, 1-, 5-, 10-, 50- and 100-pound sterling denominations. Almost all of the 50- and 100-pound notes were destroyed in 1958.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: 29 May 2010, 23:14:46 »
ReplyReply

The Austro-Hungarian 2 Krone note from 1914-15.  Issued in 1-, 5- and 10-Kronen denominations, too.  It replaced the 1913-14 series and was soon replaced by 1916-18 issue which contained values up to 10,000 kronen (inflation was bad during the war!)
Pages:  1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44443673 | Sitemap