10 April 2020, 05:03:40 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: ATTN Wargamers: Training MBX  (Read 15545 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 3 November 2009, 22:14:36 »
ReplyReply

I won't participate, you guys have the experience...I still don't know if I need a pencil and paper or if I'll get an excel map or something....sorry

Come on, Koen, you *can* do it, you do not need experience at all  (check the MBX FAQ if you are not sure; ), let yourself get "carried" along, it will work out just fine (you have the brain, you dont need a pencil in this one!).

5. Are MBX games just for military buffs or can anybody play?

In theory anybody can play. If you own or are familiar with the computer game being used to model the action, that should be enough to get by. If you don't own the game but have a firm grounding in basic military jargon and tactics, you'll have no problem. If you do not fit into either of these categories, you may need to get some quick tutoring in this area. The upside of this is that your teammates will have a definite interest in teaching you.

6. As a newcomer, will I hurt my team's chances of winning?

Having newcomers on one's team is usually not a deficit to team performance. For one thing, umpires are usually careful to balance the teams so that both sides will have an equal share of veterans and newbies. For another, newbies will usually not be commanding very large forces at first so any errors they make will generally not be serious ones.

In any case, you certainly do not need to be knowledgeable to have fun playing in an MBX. Interestingly, some of the most "junior" players often recount their game experience with the most enthusiasm.

Pencil:
... from Latin "penicillus" = "paintbrush, pencil," literally "little tail," diminuitive of "peniculus" = "brush," itself a diminuitive of "penis" = "tail" (see penis)."

Rattler
« Last Edit: 3 November 2009, 22:19:51 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 3 November 2009, 22:30:04 »
ReplyReply

I won't participate, you guys have the experience...I still don't know if I need a pencil and paper or if I'll get an excel map or something....sorry

Come on, Koen, you *can* do it, you do not need experience at all  (check the MBX FAQ if you are not sure; ), let yourself get "carried" along, it will work out just fine (you have the brain, you dont need a pencil in this one!).

5. Are MBX games just for military buffs or can anybody play?

In theory anybody can play. If you own or are familiar with the computer game being used to model the action, that should be enough to get by. If you don't own the game but have a firm grounding in basic military jargon and tactics, you'll have no problem. If you do not fit into either of these categories, you may need to get some quick tutoring in this area. The upside of this is that your teammates will have a definite interest in teaching you.

6. As a newcomer, will I hurt my team's chances of winning?

Having newcomers on one's team is usually not a deficit to team performance. For one thing, umpires are usually careful to balance the teams so that both sides will have an equal share of veterans and newbies. For another, newbies will usually not be commanding very large forces at first so any errors they make will generally not be serious ones.

In any case, you certainly do not need to be knowledgeable to have fun playing in an MBX. Interestingly, some of the most "junior" players often recount their game experience with the most enthusiasm.

Pencil:
... from Latin "penicillus" = "paintbrush, pencil," literally "little tail," diminuitive of "peniculus" = "brush," itself a diminuitive of "penis" = "tail" (see penis)."

Rattler

ok, but I warn you, I'm really in the dark here...dunno what to expect...

don't forget, been playing the same wargame for some 7-8 years so all I can imagine are small tanks and units battling it out on a map in 3D
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 3 November 2009, 22:43:58 »
ReplyReply

Smiley Fine!

One player more, and it is explicity a "training" MBX, so don´t worry.

JFTR; it is my first MBX ever as umpire, while I am quite firm in designing/running CPXes and have paritcipated in a few major MBXes with success this is a first time for me also, so bear with me, I am sure we all will have many LLs after the fact... Smiley

From my POV it is all about just having fun while trying something new! (...and I am more afraid of fucking up than you players, for sure!)

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 4 November 2009, 15:09:24 »
ReplyReply

LOL,

When I did my first cpx...I had no clue whatsoever.
James Sterret was busy trying to fight a battle, where I  was only asking questions:)
When the battle was almost over and won buy our team, I finally got the big picture Knipoog

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 6 November 2009, 08:38:21 »
ReplyReply

So far we have five players:

- Stoffel
- EricR4b
- KG AirborneBob
- Mad Russian
- Koen

I expect possibly two more players to sign up, Cainal from IMF and maybe FacMan, so recruiting will be left open til Saturday.

Please all those ppl let me know any side preference (US or OPFOR), I want to organize tams on Sunday.

Rattler

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 6 November 2009, 08:53:17 »
ReplyReply

Are there any lurking positions open as I am reasonably interested but I would like to see what sort of time requirements and abilities are "actually" needed before I commit to it.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Cainal
Private

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 6 November 2009, 09:02:04 »
ReplyReply

Yea im interested guys:)  im a newbie. Brede lach    

what do i need to do to sign up etc etc?

oh and if possible could i be on the US side   whistle  please
« Last Edit: 6 November 2009, 09:09:08 by Cainal » Logged
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 6 November 2009, 16:45:23 »
ReplyReply

@ MontyB: You can do a a one-side lur for starters, this would make you kind of a "reserve" for the tam in question with all rights of a team member except having a command.

@ Cainal: Your are signed up now... Smiley. US preference is NOTED

So, the current status:

With 6 players we now have sufficent commanders to run it, two more would be nice but not necessarry, this means the MBX is a go and I will distribute teams on Sunday.

If someone feels inclined to commit to being CO of his team, please let me know, the earlier I know that the earlier we can start briefing.

Players:

- Stoffel
- EricR4b
- KG AirborneBob
- Mad Russian
- Koen
- Cainal (US)

One side Lurker:
- MontyB

Dual lurker (if I do not hear different from him):
- 13th_redneck

Rattler

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 6 November 2009, 17:08:41 »
ReplyReply

Since MR had a higher rank than me and served with bn HQ  xangel he should be the co, off course I will be his aid to support him wherever he needs help Smiley
Hail the chief!  smallclap smallclap champ

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Cainal
Private

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 8 November 2009, 09:24:10 »
ReplyReply

sweet.    am i awaiting an email of some sort? salute
« Last Edit: 8 November 2009, 12:38:50 by Cainal » Logged
bongotastic
Sergeant

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 9 November 2009, 23:36:29 »
ReplyReply

Hi Rattler, put me down as a player. Wherever is fine.

Christian

Hobbying on less than an hour per day.
Iraq, 2008 : www.opcon.org/SadrCity/
Italy, 1361 : www.opcon.org/drupal/
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 9 November 2009, 23:46:27 »
ReplyReply

Hi Rattler, put me down as a player. Wherever is fine.

Christian

Great to see you back, from the other side, this time... Smiley  Please, feel free to give me helll as umpire after all the strain I gave you as player... Grijns

To the matter: NOTED. You are RED, I will appoint you to the mailing list and bring you up to speed.

On another angle, I cannot find the SADR CITY MBX page anymore? Is there at least a memorial somewhere?

Rattler

Pages:  1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 28561912 | Sitemap