23 October 2017, 15:12:07 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum has been heavily streamlined to help you find your place of interest faster. Hope you like it!

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: 711th Infanterie division - June 1944 France  (Read 2189 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 15 January 2010, 23:50:36 »
ReplyReply

This was one of the so called "fortress divisions".
It was intended to hold on the coastdefense until releaved.
The 711th division was stationed at Cabourg, just northeast of Caen and suffered heavy casualties while defending their positions against the British at Sword Beach. Their casualties were so heavy that they were pulled out of the line to be re-equiped and refitted in the Netherlands.
The divison was subsequently sent to the Eastern Front, where they surrendered to the Red Army in May 1945.

Order of Battle

711. Infanteriedivision

Commanding Officer - General-Leutnant Josef Reichert

731th. Grenadier Regiment
744th. Grenadier Regiment
763th. Grenadier Regiment
651th. Artillery Regiment
711th. Füsilier Bataillon
711th. Panzerjäger Abteilung
711th. Engineer Bataillon
711th. Signal Batallion
711th. Medical section

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 19111992 | Sitemap