15 September 2019, 16:48:21 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Identification needed - FlaK truck  (Read 10046 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« on: 9 July 2009, 23:17:19 »
ReplyReply

Is this the 251/17 half-track?  the capion merely says 'Army Flak'; it looks authentic, ie. something is being fired.  Are the sides dropped down to allow greater 360-degree movement of the gun?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2009, 09:13:30 »
ReplyReply

no, definitely not a half-track but one of their trucks equipped with what I think is a single 37mm(20mm?) FlaK

http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/index.php?topic=610.0

Sd.Kfz.10/4
Germany's second tracked self-propelled anti-aircraft unit, it was the mating of a FlaK30 or FlaK38 on the chassis of a Sd.Kfz.10/4 half-track.  Almost 1000 of these vehicles were issued to combat units before the invasion of France in May 1940.

Earl Grey?
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 10:28:01 »
ReplyReply

Alan sez:
Are the sides dropped down to allow greater 360-degree movement of the gun?

If I recall correctly, the dropped railings served as a walkway for the gun crew

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2009, 14:02:19 »
ReplyReply

That indeed looks like the early version of the SdKfz10/4 (without armor shield). By the way, every vehicle with wheels AND tracks is called a 'half-track'.

For comparison:

SdKfz251/17 Ausf.C

SdKfz251/17 Ausf.D

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2009, 14:11:20 »
ReplyReply

That indeed looks like the early version of the SdKfz10/4 (without armor shield). By the way, every vehicle with wheels AND tracks is called a 'half-track'.

correct, was just clarifying (I hope) that the chassis was from a (haf-track) truck and not as in most cases from a Half-track as we all know.

what do you think: FlaK 38?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2009, 15:23:22 »
ReplyReply

what do you think: FlaK 38?

I'd think that vehicle is grey... probably a Flak 30, then, but actually impossible to tell.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 6 November 2012, 16:12:44 »
ReplyReply

Yes, Koen identified it correctly. It's not a 251 series half track, those were basically armored personnel carriers, but the SdKfz series with the flak gun mounted on the rear.

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 26273589 | Sitemap