18 April 2024, 06:10:14 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: ZiS-30  (Read 11636 times)
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« on: 11 March 2010, 01:14:02 »
ReplyReply

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2010, 08:53:00 »
ReplyReply

O come on, where do you find all these things? Knipoog Form the top of my head, though, I'd say the gun is a Russian ZIS, the chassis is either a Polish or Czech tank. Everything else I'd have to research, too...

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2010, 19:46:17 »
ReplyReply

O come on, where do you find all these things? Knipoog Form the top of my head, though, I'd say the gun is a Russian ZIS, the chassis is either a Polish or Czech tank. Everything else I'd have to research, too...

well, we do all what we can to keep you here  hihi

isn't it better called FlaK instead of AFV?
or isn't it a AA gun at all?  Huh?
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2010, 00:58:46 »
ReplyReply

It isn't an AA gun.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2010, 10:36:40 »
ReplyReply

If it is a ZiS it's an AT gun. Judging from the looks of the barrel I'd say it's a 57mm ZiS-2 on a Komsomolets artillery tractor (okay, it's a Russian model in the end) and the whole combination seems to have been called 'ZiS-30.'

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2010, 19:40:06 »
ReplyReply

If it is a ZiS it's an AT gun. Judging from the looks of the barrel I'd say it's a 57mm ZiS-2 on a Komsomolets artillery tractor (okay, it's a Russian model in the end) and the whole combination seems to have been called 'ZiS-30.'

correct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZiS-30

When Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, the largely obsolete Soviet tank force was reduced to a fraction of its original size. As one of the desperate stop-gap measures to counter the German tank forces, T-20 "Komsomolets" tracked artillery tractors were converted to tank destroyers.
Straining the chassis to the maximum, the resulting vehicle, the ZiS-30 was armed with the 57 mm ZiS-2. The conversion was made at the Joseph Stalin Factory no. 92 (ZiS), and about 100 were build in total.
The 57 mm ZiS-2 was an excellent anti-tank gun. Its standard APCBC shot (BR-271) was almost equal to the German 7,5 cm Pak 39 L/48, and its APCR shot (BR-271P) was superior to the APCR shot of the Pak 39 up to 1000 metres. Its main weakness was its poor HE capability. A variant of the ZiS-2 was also used on the T-34-57 prototype. The ZiS-30 was marred by very thin armour, however. Few were in service by 1942, and none survived the war.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2010, 22:09:02 »
ReplyReply

The reason I am certain it wasn't an AA gun is that if you look at the mounting and shield you will see that it is designed to elevate down and not up as would be required of an AA gun unless they wanted to shoot planes that were landed, essentially that gun is already at maximum elevation.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2010, 23:14:30 »
ReplyReply

The reason I am certain it wasn't an AA gun is that if you look at the mounting and shield you will see that it is designed to elevate down and not up as would be required of an AA gun unless they wanted to shoot planes that were landed, essentially that gun is already at maximum elevation.

ah, good sighting, they would need to lay down if they want to target higher  hihi
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2010, 23:34:31 »
ReplyReply

Hehe well I do put a little effort into trying to identify the pictures and my initial thoughts were AA as well but the mechanics of the design itself indicated something else.

What I will probably do now is track down the specifications of the vehicle and add them to the original post.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2010, 23:46:40 by MontyB » Logged

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2010, 23:47:28 »
ReplyReply

as seen on other gun carriers...are the sideplates used horizontally for expanding the crew-area when operating?
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2010, 23:52:27 »
ReplyReply

Off hand I have no idea but if you look at the two pictures shown the side plates are hinged and in the first picture they appear to be already down with a rung down to aid in climbing onto the plates.

Of course I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2010, 00:39:05 by MontyB » Logged

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2010, 00:01:19 »
ReplyReply

indeed AA guns were used (Germans first) for ground attacks as they allowed a "point-and-shoot" procedure that normal arty did not for different and not straight trajectory (AA= higher muzzle velocity), so this does not seem contraditory at all.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44437719 | Sitemap