19 April 2024, 05:40:47 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Napoleon - Total War  (Read 5737 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 11 April 2010, 12:21:02 »
ReplyReply

Napoleon - Total War

I had this game in my hands last weekend but decided not to buy it. "Rome - Total War" couldn't keep me interested so I have doubts buying "N-TW" (the price also didn't help...50€ for the Imperial Edition  Onbeslist)

Napoleon Total War Online Battle #044: Russia vs France

who plays it and what are your comments?
about 2player games: is this done by email or only online/live?

Napoleon : Total War - Official GamesCom Trailer

terrain? realistic? land and sea battles?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2010, 18:08:13 »
ReplyReply

Napoleon : Total War - Official Community Trailer [HD]

seems that it's not just battling...

cities to build
allies to seek

what's more in this game?

ps: waiting for mmarsh to come help me out  Knipoog
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2010, 18:36:13 »
ReplyReply

I might buy it but not for now, price was 47 Euros which is a bit too much.
Within a year it will be half the money Knipoog       

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
mmarsh
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2010, 17:54:52 »
ReplyReply

Hi All

OK a few disclaimers.

1. I should say that I am really only playing French faction (yes I am being chauvinistic  Smiley), in the 1805-1812 campaign. I haven't tried the others yet. There is also a Italy Campaign and a Nile Campaign, but I preferred Napoleon Europe Campaigns so I dont play the other two campaigns much.

2. I also dont play MP, but I see from Koen post that hes got "Prince of Macedon" from youtube. That guy is pretty good I watch his battles as well.
From what I remember there is no play by email, only play directly.

The game is less a empire building game as in others of the series (but its still important, especially in the bigger campaigns). Another big change is that the game is much more linear than the others, that you are given a goal and time limit to accomplish objectives. You use you infrastructure to complete your objectives and to protect yourself from counter attack. You don't have the freedom to plan your own strategy which is my biggest issue with the game. We are hoping that CA will release a DLC "Grand Campaign" that fixes this. Otherwise the European Campaign is you best bet. This is the games biggest weakness IMHO, but its not game-breaking. I just preferred it the way it was originally. I would have like the game to start in 1792 and allowing you to choose where to start your campaign, or at least of the objectives be random, instead of ALWAYS having to attack Austria, than Prussia then Russia. You can of course choose to invade the UK or even Sweden, but they are not part of the grand objective.

Technically compared to others in the series like Rome, Napoleon is a vast improvement. There is more focus on the economic and diplomatic levels. Trade now is a big issue as a lot of your income comes from trade, and in fact you can really cripple the enemy (like England) if you can wage hit and run attacks on their shipping lanes. You can also raid enemy shipping (privateers) for extra cash.

I can say that despite the improvements at its core its not vastly different though from others in the series. If you didnt like TW: Rome (I did) chances are you wont like this either. Don't get me wrong they have added a ton of new things though. Naval Warefare, more Trade, Diplomacy options, better use of formations, a research tree, better AI.

You don't build cities, the cities are already there. You do have to manage them though. Each region has Region Capital which can build all the advanced structures. Smaller cities that can build specific troop types only. Finally villages focus on the economy (make $$$), improving technology (reducing specific troop types costs) and techology research. There is also supply yards which allow to replenish and resupply units. Attrition is now modelled so keeping lines of supply open is important, Otherwise your armies will suffer loses marching in enemy held territory and bad weather.

There are also much more unique units however you can only have 1 unit of these at a time. So you cannot have an army made of Scots Greys or Batterie de la Convention (Napoleon's Famous Artillery Unit he used to lift the British Siege of Toulon).

Terrain and weather do play a big part. Artillery shoots best from a elevated position and a clear line of sight. Some units like skirmishers can hide in forests and get big defensive bonuses firing from cover. They also have unit class specific tactics. For example only Line Infantry can "Fire and Advance" and only Melee Cavalry can assume the Diamond Formation. Dragoons can form Skirmish Lines and can fire while moving. Some of these tactics must be researched/traded/or stolen.

Weather like Rain often's causes misfires, slows troop movement speeds, and causes cannonballs to not to "bounce" when they hit the ground.

So much more to mention that I cannot, ask me specific questions

If you do buy the game, make sure you get the Imperial Edition it costs more but the unique units are worth it. They will improve your game and they look better too as they have very distinct uniforms. If you dont buy it now, definitely get it when its discounted its well worth it. I don't regret paying full price (I did regret Empire).
« Last Edit: 13 April 2010, 12:21:13 by mmarsh » Logged
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2010, 16:30:20 »
ReplyReply

hey, I 'managed' to get a copy and after 2 short tests I must admit that I like it  champ (way more then Rome)

grapics are more then ok to me

I played 2 battles with the last one attacking a fortress, blowing a whole into the wall and as result a mountain of dead soldiers on 1 location  whistle

I like the possibilities in games, campaigns, battles in all sorts.

Infantry, cavalry, artillery etc in several forms with their own specs, NICE!

I like the camera view except missing the satellite view but since you're able to pause the game you have plenty time to look at your scattered forces

I'll first get some experience before I start campaigns or such

ps: if you wanna try a H2H with me just gimme a call.....easy to beat the first months and maybe even longer..... hihi (warning: I prefer a GOOD game above winning)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44448360 | Sitemap