14 December 2017, 05:07:32 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum has been heavily streamlined to help you find your place of interest faster. Hope you like it!

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943  (Read 4092 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 31 March 2010, 18:34:02 »
ReplyReply

Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 Intro Trailer

video seems a bit strange... moving T-34 shooting at a Panther and kills with 1st shot? promovideo??  Knipoog

Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 - Official Trailer

does anyone have experience with this one?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 1 April 2010, 20:49:52 »
ReplyReply

I bought it and have tried it. Not bad at all, but damn tough to beat the AI, especially as Germans. From the first second of the first mission you get peppered by AT guns and before you have taken a closer look, everyhting apart from your heavily-armored tanks is gone for good. Which is a problem: you'll only make it anywhere if you rely mostly on your Pantehrs and Tigers. Nice feature: One may select his force before each battle individually and you have everything ranging froms cout and sniper teams through half-tracks, flak vehicles, motrocycles to SPGs and, of course, Panther sand Tigers.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 1 April 2010, 21:28:44 »
ReplyReply

I bought it and have tried it. Not bad at all, but damn tough to beat the AI, especially as Germans. From the first second of the first mission you get peppered by AT guns and before you have taken a closer look, everyhting apart from your heavily-armored tanks is gone for good. Which is a problem: you'll only make it anywhere if you rely mostly on your Pantehrs and Tigers. Nice feature: One may select his force before each battle individually and you have everything ranging froms cout and sniper teams through half-tracks, flak vehicles, motrocycles to SPGs and, of course, Panther sand Tigers.

does it work like CM where you have ALL the time to plot and can pause while watching the movies or is it intense clicking/plotting?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 1 April 2010, 23:12:33 »
ReplyReply

In essence it is an RTS gae, but you can pasue the action anytime you want and issue orders to your men. That's certainly a nice feature (and much needed!) but it plays much faster. There's a demo around, too, so best try that one and see for yourself. That's always the best advice for games. Grijns

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2 April 2010, 19:11:42 »
ReplyReply

In essence it is an RTS gae, but you can pasue the action anytime you want and issue orders to your men. That's certainly a nice feature (and much needed!) but it plays much faster. There's a demo around, too, so best try that one and see for yourself. That's always the best advice for games. Grijns

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/17057/Theatre+of+War+2:+Kursk+1943+Demo

I'll give the demo a try and report  salute
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2 April 2010, 20:12:02 »
ReplyReply

ah....I've tried games like this a long time ago but couldn't remember what turned me off....now I know...the camera view...

in the classic CM you have a splendid view on what happens on the battle field with your guys....low view / high view / fps view and much more

now I almost go crazy trying to figure out where they are, what LOS they have, where's the LOF??? etc...am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is.... I did try both camera settings...  Huh?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 3 April 2010, 09:51:29 »
ReplyReply

Well, thos nice lines telling you all important things is a feature usually only found in CM. No lines here showing you what's going on - you'll have to figure that out on your own. there's a feature to turn of range indicators (red circle) in the options, though, and probabaly a few other things. Haven't tried this one properly yet.

Thing with ToW is: the icons you cans ee floating around (BLUE for your men and RED for the enemy) represent what a given unit can see and what not (once selected). So if you select one of your units, icons showing enemy units either appear or vanish. When you deselect everything you will see what all your units can see COMBINED. Meaning: YOU ALWAYS KNOW MORE THAN YOUR MEN DO. Keep that in mind. Just because you know there's an AT gun behind that hill (and your sniper has seen it) doesn't mean the Tiger in front of the hill knows (or can see it). Does that help?

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 April 2010, 10:59:12 »
ReplyReply

Well, thos nice lines telling you all important things is a feature usually only found in CM. No lines here showing you what's going on - you'll have to figure that out on your own. there's a feature to turn of range indicators (red circle) in the options, though, and probabaly a few other things. Haven't tried this one properly yet.

Thing with ToW is: the icons you cans ee floating around (BLUE for your men and RED for the enemy) represent what a given unit can see and what not (once selected). So if you select one of your units, icons showing enemy units either appear or vanish. When you deselect everything you will see what all your units can see COMBINED. Meaning: YOU ALWAYS KNOW MORE THAN YOUR MEN DO. Keep that in mind. Just because you know there's an AT gun behind that hill (and your sniper has seen it) doesn't mean the Tiger in front of the hill knows (or can see it). Does that help?

I had another try but it's just not my thingie.... after ALL those years with CM it's difficult to find something else.... salute
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2010, 21:39:40 »
ReplyReply

I had another try but it's just not my thingie.... after ALL those years with CM it's difficult to find something else...

I know what you mean... But you can't play the same game all teh time which is why I resort to driving custom-painted cars around racetracks and go on monsterhunt with a pair of swords. Grijns

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2010, 15:34:37 »
ReplyReply

I had another try but it's just not my thingie.... after ALL those years with CM it's difficult to find something else...

I know what you mean... But you can't play the same game all teh time which is why I resort to driving custom-painted cars around racetracks and go on monsterhunt with a pair of swords. Grijns

uhhh clever

ps: I'm giving Napoleon - Total War a try so maybe I have a 2nd game to play  salute
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 19828117 | Sitemap