18 April 2024, 09:52:28 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Boardgames: general dicussions  (Read 16816 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 19 February 2011, 11:24:56 »
ReplyReply

So what's up guys, what boardgames do you play at home (or on the move)?

Yesterday while playing chess on WaT (megastuff installed by TA (THX!)) my stepdaughter asked if I could try my granddaughters interest in the game of chess. So I dug up an old chessboard and we had our first try.

Recently I bought a new edition of 'Scrabble': Scrabble on Wiki to play in the camper while out on the road.

When I was younger I used to play 'Stratego' (Stratego).

What games do you play on the table?
What boardgames do you play on the PC, vs AI and/or human opponent?

Are there more games we could install on WaT TA?
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2011, 14:54:56 »
ReplyReply

"Stratego", I still have a set here, used to love it as youngster, and I still can get a laugh out of it as adult. Pity it did not cocur me to challenge Henk when he vistied me... A game to indeed learn basic strategical issues like deployment, use of reserve forces, anticipation of kill zones, etc.

Also "Risk" of course, stuff for almost interminable winter nights in front of the fire place with 6 ppl playing...

Last, "Malefiu" a kind of board game you think you know until you try it, wicked strategical moves.

As you can imagine with my nerdy character I reacdup on a lot of strats for all those games (even though we had no internet) and for some (Stratego and Risk) even wrote my "bachillerato" (dont know in English, "A-levles" maybe?) about gmaes theory with new twists to those two games.

Today I even take poker recreationally, so lets have fun, I have a "Risk" software we could use.

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2011, 15:02:40 »
ReplyReply

"Stratego", I still have a set here, used to love it as youngster, and I still can get a laugh out of it as adult. Pity it did not cocur me to challenge Henk when he vistied me... A game to indeed learn basic strategical issues like deployment, use of reserve forces, anticipation of kill zones, etc.

Also "Risk" of course, stuff for almost interminable winter nights in front of the fire place with 6 ppl playing...

Last, "Malefiu" a kind of board game you think you know until you try it, wicked strategical moves.

As you can imagine with my nerdy character I reacdup on a lot of strats for all those games (even though we had no internet) and for some (Stratego and Risk) even wrote my "bachillerato" (dont know in English, "A-levles" maybe?) about gmaes theory with new twists to those two games.

Today I even take poker recreationally, so lets have fun, I have a "Risk" software we could use.

TA

Risk is OK for me altough I didn't play it that often... I lost to the misses since she always had luck with the dice  whistle, does their exist several versions? Meaning a modern-war setting?

At Amazon I see all kinds of Risk-games.... even Star Wars

I'm sure you're already looking out for a version that can be integrated in WaT?

What about the 'Axis & Allies' series?
« Last Edit: 19 February 2011, 15:09:23 by Koen » Logged
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2011, 15:32:57 »
ReplyReply

I'm sure you're already looking out for a version that can be integrated in WaT?

Indeed.

There exist various .php versions (which is what we need as I dont want to re-code the game to play it on a platform independend server layout as is WaT), but I am still not good enough to integrate them without help:

http://www.abc-directory.com/site/4567518

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/script/Games/PHP-RiSK--31708.html

TA

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2011, 21:00:28 »
ReplyReply

I play lots of boardgames, most of which you probably have never heard of... Grijns Most is fantasy-style, but I also play sci fi stuff.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2011, 22:20:41 »
ReplyReply

We play both Carcassonne and Small World with our Grandchildren.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2011, 18:35:22 »
ReplyReply

I play lots of boardgames, most of which you probably have never heard of... Grijns Most is fantasy-style, but I also play sci fi stuff.

which ones?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2011, 18:38:35 »
ReplyReply

We play both Carcassonne and Small World with our Grandchildren.
Good Hunting.
MR

Carcassone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_%28board_game%29 looks nice, I presume it's a 7-77 years game?
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2011, 18:43:08 »
ReplyReply

I've never seen those color tiles before, they look like the beta testing pieces...lol.

Yes, it's great for all ages. Plays fast and is a puzzle game. That's good for children to learn problem solving with it.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 18:50:06 »
ReplyReply

I've never seen those color tiles before, they look like the beta testing pieces...lol.

Yes, it's great for all ages. Plays fast and is a puzzle game. That's good for children to learn problem solving with it.

Good Hunting.

MR

is it a B/W game? I'm interested for a good game with my grandchildren

seems there's a complete world with expansions etc: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_11?url=search-alias%3Dtoys&field-keywords=carcassonne&x=0&y=0&sprefix=carcassonne
« Last Edit: 22 February 2011, 18:55:13 by Koen » Logged
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2011, 07:57:13 »
ReplyReply

What do you mean by a B/W game?

It would be good with your grand children.

Today I found out there is even a VASSAL version of it as well.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2011, 18:57:54 »
ReplyReply

What do you mean by a B/W game?

It would be good with your grand children.

Today I found out there is even a VASSAL version of it as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

because you said you've never seen those coloured tiles I presume they are in B/W?  Rollende ogen
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2011, 01:46:16 »
ReplyReply

Look here at what the pieces actually look like.

Board Game Review: Carcassonne

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 4 March 2011, 08:09:00 »
ReplyReply

So, did you buy a copy of Carcassonne Koen?

Good Hunting.

MR
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 7 March 2011, 13:41:58 »
ReplyReply

which ones?

Well... Here's alist of the games we currently play:

- Horus Heresy
- Space Hulk
- Samurai Swords
- Dungeon Twister
- Okko
- Crimson Skies
- World of WarCraft: The Boardgame
- Blood Bowl

A few more I paly, but do not own (yet). The list will expand in due time when I acquire more games which are on the 'to buy' list but not yet, well, bought. Grijns

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 7 March 2011, 18:45:23 »
ReplyReply

So, did you buy a copy of Carcassonne Koen?
Good Hunting.
MR

not yet, I have to buy it online and the different versions etc make 'me' mind go crazy  whistle
Mad_Russian
Captain

United States

Co-founder of WaT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 7 March 2011, 21:18:04 »
ReplyReply

I can understand that. I recommend just the basic game and the river expansion to start with. Try those and see if you like it first. Then you'll have a better idea of what you may want to add.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 7 March 2011, 21:21:21 »
ReplyReply

I can understand that. I recommend just the basic game and the river expansion to start with. Try those and see if you like it first. Then you'll have a better idea of what you may want to add.

Good Hunting.

MR

ok, thx
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 8 March 2011, 06:45:05 »
ReplyReply

My 10 y.o. daughter plays Carcassonne: the Castle with me and has for a couple of years.  It's Carcassonne within a 'wall' (the scoreboard track) so you know the limits of the playing area.  She doesn't particularly like the original version which I also play.
On BGG I have my board game collection listed; mostly wargames and close to 150 titles listed.  hdbng  (some are magazines for ASL.)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 8 March 2011, 20:28:15 »
ReplyReply

My 10 y.o. daughter plays Carcassonne: the Castle with me and has for a couple of years.  It's Carcassonne within a 'wall' (the scoreboard track) so you know the limits of the playing area.  She doesn't particularly like the original version which I also play.
On BGG I have my board game collection listed; mostly wargames and close to 150 titles listed.  hdbng  (some are magazines for ASL.)

150? you CRAZY dude  hihi
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44439557 | Sitemap