18 April 2024, 05:34:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: First Person Shooters: what do you play/recommend?  (Read 8251 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 10 July 2009, 15:30:22 »
ReplyReply

Well, since I'm buying a new PC I would like to get started with some new FPS games?
my new PC: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/index.php?topic=835.0

What do you play?
What do you recommend?

What I'm looking for?

World War II or modern warfare.
Singleplayer and Multiplayer online.

Games that I was recommended so far:
Call of Duty 4 (better then CoD5) (modern warfare)
F.E.A.R 2 : FPS thriller/horror
Bioshock (not my style I think)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2009, 15:39:20 »
ReplyReply

more recommendations:

WW2 games:
Day of Defeat Source (Fast paced WW2 FPS, the Counter Strike of WW2 but with TF2's quick respawns and capture checkpoints.)
Red Orchestra + Darkest Hour mod (Most realistic WW2 game your going to get)
Brothers in Arms series (Tactical FPS WW2 game, you command a squad)
Battlefield 1943 (A smaller-scale updated version of Battlefield 1942. Currently only on PS3 and 360 as a Downloadable game. It comes out on PC in Sept, I believe. EA DICE is working on adding more PC features to the PC version, which is why it's coming out later.)

Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 16:02:02 »
ReplyReply

There is, of course, also 'Armed Assault' and 'Armed Assault II' (the latter one still needing lots of attention patch-wise). Either way, tehre are lots of good mods, some of which are also WW2-themed.

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2009, 16:50:05 »
ReplyReply

America's Army 3
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2009, 16:50:49 »
ReplyReply

Earl Grey:Still lots of issues with Arma2?
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2009, 18:47:58 »
ReplyReply

Earl Grey:Still lots of issues with Arma2?

To be honest, I haven't tried it yet (not the time nor the money), but the English version has been out even shorter than the German one, so my guess is there'll be quite a few patches before all the glitches are ironed out. Biggest problem still is the overall performance which isn't that good if you don't sport a big high-end PC under your desk...

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2009, 19:17:38 »
ReplyReply

Yes, that's an eternal problem and I hope it doesn't cause the movement of newly published games to consoles exclusively at the expense of pc games.

I'm building a new pc just for that reason.  Another slave to the march of technology. Grijns
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2009, 20:09:11 »
ReplyReply

Yes, that's an eternal problem and I hope it doesn't cause the movement of newly published games to consoles exclusively at the expense of pc games.

I'm building a new pc just for that reason.  Another slave to the march of technology. Grijns

good luck...see our other topic  whistle
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2009, 14:07:48 »
ReplyReply

One game I'm currently playing (when not modding CM like a maniac) is 'Far Cry 2' - although I strongly recommend you play the first part as well. It needs some getting sued to since you're a mercenary working your way through a civil war in an small African coutnry, but they left the nasty parts out (like the refugee and slave issues etc.) - inf act, you also need to do some 'humanitarian work' (providing refugees with fake passports so they can leave the country) and your ultimate goal is to kill the guy selling wepaons to the different factions and finally end the war.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2009, 14:24:20 »
ReplyReply

I had some fun with the demo of v1, the one where you start from within the water and make your way into land
Mike
Sergeant

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2009, 19:58:05 »
ReplyReply

I am currently playing project reality. its a mod for battlefield2 but its a game on its own, you just need BF2 to run it.

Its realistic and you have to work as a team or you die, simple as that :p

All the military enthousiasts here would like it Smiley
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2009, 22:47:51 »
ReplyReply

And lest I forget it: I VERY STRONGLY recommend all the 'Brothers in Arms' parts - they're very good quality-wise, quite realistic and also tell a nice story. Another game I liked well was 'Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault'

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44437424 | Sitemap