2 May 2024, 01:50:46 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Round 2 Discussion Thread  (Read 20826 times)
Mad Russian

« Reply #20 on: 18 January 2009, 00:50:04 »
ReplyReply

Extend the deadline, let slow pokes drop-out, do whatever is necessary to avoid removing ANOTHER scenario from this Tourney!

Let me make my position clear.

The ONLY thing I'm not willing to discuss is dropping the scenario.

AL- Throne of Glory wasn't dropped it was removed because of a bug.  If I run into another technical issue that's different. This issue is simply about size.

There is at least one more scenario in the group that will be large. Mine is a combined 14,500 to 15,000 points but it is a phased reinforcement battle not all of that will be on map at the same time.

Good Hunting.

MR

Ah, Gotcha... Sorry, I misunderstood... I thought that removing Forgotten Ground WAS an option on the table...

*Phew...

My devious, crafty and cunning setup had already been completed...

All 3 games underway with XCite. Really looking forward to playing these 3 scenarios out, they all look like great tactical challenges.

These 3 scenarios are more conventional. I understood what Bannon was trying to do and we had some long talks about it. I didn't agree with it but I gave the designers total latitude and I wasn't going back on my word no matter how I felt about the scenario personally. I've tried new things at times too...like the rest of you,, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

That may well have been the hit of the tournament. Who would know until you all play it?

Personally, I'm liking my own scenario for  BEST IN CLASS here!!!        Brede lach

But I could get a Big Surprise from you guys as well...... :'(

Good Hunting.

MR
Geordie
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 January 2009, 00:59:20 »
ReplyReply

Im not against big scenarios per se, however, I feel that doing an hour plus setup just so that my opponent can see the map and comment on it will be a waste of time if the game gets binned.

Due to my Vista problem, it means using another PC or my laptop to CMBB.  This means that I have to go somewhere other than my main PC to play CM.

Therefore, I really cant devote that amount of time to something that may not happen.

Im not being negative here but from my standpoint practical.  I am willing to play a game of any size, but if I put the effort in I want it to go ahead.

Cheers.

DrVonCool
Private 1st class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 18 January 2009, 01:06:21 »
ReplyReply

I could stay in if we play only the two smaller scenarios, but I won't play the big one (or another big one later on) regardless of whether the deadline is three month or six.

But then I'm already out as I've already announced my withdrawal. Smiley

Btw. I found a replacement inside my club (currently under evaluation by Steve) to play against Antoni.

Mad Russian

« Reply #23 on: 18 January 2009, 01:30:42 »
ReplyReply

Im not against big scenarios per se, however, I feel that doing an hour plus setup just so that my opponent can see the map and comment on it will be a waste of time if the game gets binned.

Due to my Vista problem, it means using another PC or my laptop to CMBB.  This means that I have to go somewhere other than my main PC to play CM.

Therefore, I really cant devote that amount of time to something that may not happen.

Im not being negative here but from my standpoint practical.  I am willing to play a game of any size, but if I put the effort in I want it to go ahead.

Cheers.

Again, there will be no scenarios "BINNED" in this tournament.

All we are trying to decide is where we add time to the round or cut the number of scenarios being handled at one time.

No binning! This scenario will be played.

Good Hunting.

MR
Mad Russian

« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2009, 01:35:34 »
ReplyReply

I could stay in if we play only the two smaller scenarios, but I won't play the big one (or another big one later on) regardless of whether the deadline is three month or six.

But then I'm already out as I've already announced my withdrawal. Smiley

Btw. I found a replacement inside my club (currently under evaluation by Steve) to play against Antoni.

Who accepted your withdrawl?

MR?

You know we don't care what he says.......   Knipoog

Seriously, this scenario will be played in the tournament. My own scenario has about 14,000 points in it as well, and I can tell you it is not attack/defend like BF-Forgotten Ground is!  HSG 3AD Saddle Up is a wild ride if  you were ever on one!

You choice as to whether you stay or go. Of course we prefer you stay.  Brede lach

Good Hunting.

MR
Marshall666[WPC]
Private 1st class

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2009, 02:07:54 »
ReplyReply

make what you want.i could play the big scenario too.so i`m fine with every decision you make.....

License to kill,fire at will!!!
von Reichmann
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2009, 03:21:43 »
ReplyReply

I posted this in the wrong thread it seems but these are my thoughts on the subject.

Following on from Steve's request for discussion on the Forgotten Ground battle, I have yet to see it but from all reports it's a 17,000 point monster which is really asking too much in my mind to do on top of 2 other significant size battles.  Considering that there is a strict 3 month deadline to complete all 3 battles I have to say that I can't commit the time I would need to do those battles any justice.

Bearing in mind that it took the majority of participants more than the alloted time to complete their round 1 battles, where 2 of those 3 battles were much smaller than any of the 2nd round ones, I feel that a rethink is needed.  My preference would be for just the 2 so called "smaller" battles to complete for round 2 with the Forgotten Ground one kept up the organisers sleeve for a later round.  When bringing out this massive battle it would make sense to have it paired with a much smaller one to make it easier on the participants to complete the round.  If it means having to create an extra round then so be it.

These are my thoughts anyway.

Regards

Jim R
Mad Russian

« Reply #27 on: 18 January 2009, 05:03:47 »
ReplyReply

I posted this in the wrong thread it seems but these are my thoughts on the subject.

Following on from Steve's request for discussion on the Forgotten Ground battle, I have yet to see it but from all reports it's a 17,000 point monster which is really asking too much in my mind to do on top of 2 other significant size battles.  Considering that there is a strict 3 month deadline to complete all 3 battles I have to say that I can't commit the time I would need to do those battles any justice.

Bearing in mind that it took the majority of participants more than the alloted time to complete their round 1 battles, where 2 of those 3 battles were much smaller than any of the 2nd round ones, I feel that a rethink is needed.  My preference would be for just the 2 so called "smaller" battles to complete for round 2 with the Forgotten Ground one kept up the organisers sleeve for a later round.  When bringing out this massive battle it would make sense to have it paired with a much smaller one to make it easier on the participants to complete the round.  If it means having to create an extra round then so be it.

These are my thoughts anyway.

Regards

Jim R

2 things here, there is no strict 3 month time limit, we are discussing extending that and a significant number of the 1st round matches didn't exceed the time limit.

There were 13 matches that went over out of 32. Of those that went over, most were for computer breakdown and several of those have now caught back up. There were about 5 that were really what I would think of exceeding the time limit because of the return rate.

I knew about those throughout the round and told them to keep playing.

All 3 of the round 1 battles were smaller than the round 2 battles are. However, there is no direct correlation between point count  and scenario size for one thing nor does it directly correlate to more points meaning more playing time.  What counts the most for playing time is unit count. A 1941 scenario count of 5000 points per side is nothing like a 1945 scenario with 5000 points per side where the vehicle costs are way higher. Don't look at point count...look at unit count.

We'll see what the consensus is but it would be easy to extend the round by a month or a bit more than that if needed.

Good Hunting.

MR
« Last Edit: 18 January 2009, 05:10:13 by Mad Russian » Logged
dapickaxe
Private

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2009, 05:09:58 »
ReplyReply

extend the deadline if needed is my thought

cheers!!

dave
(dapickaxe)
« Last Edit: 18 January 2009, 05:11:48 by dapickaxe » Logged
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 January 2009, 05:33:10 »
ReplyReply

We'll see what the consensus is but it would be easy to extend the round by a month or a bit more than that if needed.

Good Hunting.

MR

That would help considerably I think.
Stndrtnfhr
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 January 2009, 05:43:31 »
ReplyReply

Gentlemen,

Quit whining and play the scenario.

Stndrtnfhr Out!
BAR Gunner
Private

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 January 2009, 05:47:17 »
ReplyReply

I say add more time and play the scenario.
Tanker
Sergeant Major

United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 January 2009, 06:04:55 »
ReplyReply

Gentlemen,

Stndrtnfhr Out!

Whatever...
von Reichmann
Sergeant

Australia

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 January 2009, 06:07:18 »
ReplyReply

Stndrtnfhr wrote:

Gentlemen,

Stndrtnfhr Out!

A well thought out and constructed post. 

Have you considered that not everybody plays the same way you do?

Regards

Jim R.
von Staudt
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 January 2009, 06:11:42 »
ReplyReply

Oh oh!  Tanker vs von Reichman!  Grudge match!   Brede lach

***von Staudt***
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: 18 January 2009, 10:15:55 »
ReplyReply

Regarding setting up...most of my scenarios are ready for play.
There is no need to change a lot of things in the setup phase, its ready to go.
You can hit the GO button rightaway Smiley

Henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Huzaar
Private

Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 January 2009, 11:28:49 »
ReplyReply

Forgotten Ground looks great!  I have no problems with big maps or scenarios. Maybe extending the deadline would help.
antonic
Private

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 18 January 2009, 14:49:42 »
ReplyReply

Gentlemen,

Stndrtnfhr Out!

I have seen more constructive posts in the past ! Grijns

Proud Member of the Bltz ! and a season ticket holder at Anfield !.
TedRam1
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 January 2009, 16:18:54 »
ReplyReply

Not to be a whiner but….

One of my concerns, besides the over all length of the tournament, is just the time it takes for me to plan and plot moves for battalions of infantry and their support and then plan and move in two other scenarios on top of that may require more time than I have available in a day, especially during a work week.
(It is hard for me to judge the time it will take in that I never played such a huge scenario before.)

I still have not heard from my opponent and have not seen the FG scenario yet.
May I suggest just sending out the scenario so we can look at it and not necessarily do a setup.

MR you bring up a good point about troop count on the map at any one point.

So, this being said, if there are to be “huge” scenarios then I would prefer a two scenario format and pushing out the deadline.
Mad Russian

« Reply #39 on: 18 January 2009, 16:55:19 »
ReplyReply

Good Hunting.

MR

That would help considerably I think.

Would that allow you to stay in the tournament?

Good Hunting.

MR
Pages:  1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44648860 | Sitemap