24 August 2019, 06:53:24 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Books: The longest day  (Read 3217 times)
British Tommy
Private 1st class

Wales

View Profile
« on: 26 November 2008, 16:06:52 »
ReplyReply

At the moment I'm reading 'the longest day' by Cornelius Ryan. Very well written with lots of small stories from the troops who took part. He describes how the German high command reacted first to the paratroop landings (the Germans were confused by the reports coming in) and how luck played it's part to help the Allies (most of the top commanders were away on the day). Interesting to read about how the landing crafts coped with the rough seas. Quite a few sunk before even reaching the beaches.
Good detail about the condition of the infantry before they even climbed into the landing crafts. Most were suffering from sea sickness and a few had to be stopped from jumping overboard because they were suffering so much. Another point which I found interesting, the troops were crammed into the landing craft so tightly, that when they were sick they threw up on the guy in front of them or down the front of their uniforms. Keep this in mind when the landing crafts dropped the ramp and the German HMG and mortars opened up on them. No wonder they were cut down before they could even get out of the landing craft. On Omaha beach, it was the two ends of the beach which had the heaviest firepower and it was at these two points where the heaviest casualties were taken.
I could go on and on but then it might spoil your reading pleasure  Smiley
Highly recommended book to read.
« Last Edit: 2 January 2009, 12:34:16 by Koen » Logged
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2008, 22:14:32 »
ReplyReply

All of Cornelius Ryan's books are excellent reads.  I have read them all many years ago, and sometimes find myself going back and reading them again.  I am glad you are enjoying The Longest Day .  It is so full of those little details that bring history to life for the reader.  Another author you might look into is Jason Mark.  He has several books published under The Leaping Horseman publishers company.  His research and attention to detail are, in a word, stunning.

Heinrich505
British Tommy
Private 1st class

Wales

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2008, 21:51:56 »
ReplyReply

Thanks Heinrich505. I have never heard of him but with your recomendation I will pop over to Amazon and see if I can find any of his books  Smiley
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2008, 23:54:25 »
ReplyReply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_Ryan

Bibliography

* 1946. - Star-Spangled Mikado. - with Frank Kelley. - New York, New York:: R.M. McBride. OCLC 1142015
    * 1950. - MacArthur: Man of Action. - with Frank Kelley. - Garden City, New York: Doubleday. - OCLC: 1516843
    * 1957. - One Minute to Ditch!. - New York: Ballentine Books. - OCLC 24116050
    * 1959. - The Longest Day: June 6, 1944 D-Day. - Greenwich, Connecticut: Fawcett Publications. ISBN 0671622285
    * 1966. - The Last Battle. - New York, New York: Simon and Schuster. - ISBN 0450044335
    * 1974. - A Bridge Too Far. - New York, New York: Simon and Schuster. - ISBN 0671217925
    * 1979. - A Private Battle. - Posthumously with Kathryn Morgan Ryan. - New York, New York:: Simon and Schuster. - ISBN 0671225944
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 26043428 | Sitemap