20 April 2024, 00:18:53 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Series: Band of Brothers Pacific  (Read 16399 times)
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« on: 31 March 2010, 16:23:51 »
ReplyReply

Guys saw this promo on tv yesterday, coming to us on april 7!

Looks great.....I hope its as good as the first series.

The Pacific: Trailer (HBO)

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2010, 18:48:34 »
ReplyReply

great news, now we know why Spielberg was so 'invisible' the last years.... champ

more trailers:

The Pacific Trailer #2 (HBO)

The Pacific: Underwater Promo (HBO)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2010, 18:48:55 »
ReplyReply

and a docu!

Making The Pacific (HBO)

amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacific-Complete-HBO-DVD/dp/B0036ORVRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270054278&sr=8-1
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 1 April 2010, 20:08:23 »
ReplyReply

they build a very nice website with pictures, movies, tributes and much more  smallclap

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 1 April 2010, 22:04:06 »
ReplyReply

I have seen the first three parts and I mut say: it's nice. Not as captivating as the first series for me because the characters need some time to get familiar with (and identify). And the Pacific theatre is feeling differently and nothing we're too familiar with which is another reason it takes some time to warm up to it. Apart from that, the series is well worth watching (and owning once it coems out on DVD) - can't wait for part four to air!

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 1 April 2010, 22:30:53 »
ReplyReply

I have seen the first three parts and I mut say: it's nice. Not as captivating as the first series for me because the characters need some time to get familiar with (and identify). And the Pacific theatre is feeling differently and nothing we're too familiar with which is another reason it takes some time to warm up to it. Apart from that, the series is well worth watching (and owning once it coems out on DVD) - can't wait for part four to air!

I'll wait until I can buy the DVD set...things like this I want to see completely in the shortest timeframe as possible...with lots of food and drinks... hihi
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2010, 15:50:11 »
ReplyReply

the set has now reached the stores in DVD and Blu-Ray version

for now it's 35€ for DVD and 40€ for Blu-Ray, I'll just put it on hold for a while until prices drop (and I finally buy my Blu-Ray player/set)

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 8 November 2010, 05:55:32 »
ReplyReply

I hope its as good as the first series.

Get real, this one is about Marines, how can it not be good? tsk,tsk,tsk   whistle

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 8 November 2010, 08:24:01 »
ReplyReply

I hope its as good as the first series.

Get real, this one is about Marines, how can it not be good? tsk,tsk,tsk   whistle

uhhh ........................... bravoclap
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 8 November 2010, 09:51:54 »
ReplyReply

this one is about Marines, how can it not be good?

Sorry, just a shameless plug for the men who inspired me to become one of them.  salute

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 8 November 2010, 18:38:38 »
ReplyReply

this one is about Marines, how can it not be good?

Sorry, just a shameless plug for the men who inspired me to become one of them.  salute

milbravo

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2010, 19:15:02 »
ReplyReply

I bought the DVD.
I have watched it last saturday with my wife Smiley
Very good series, it gives a clear sight in the live of the average marine and his struggle against Japanese soldiers, elements and the dar side of the war, so much different than what the men in the west endured.
IMHO it shows many aspects of this dirty war better than the first series did.
I have to recommend Clint Eastwoods, "letters from Iwo Jima" too in this regard.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2010, 04:21:56 »
ReplyReply

Guys,
  This is a very good series.  It is quite different from the Western Front "Band of Brothers," simply because it had to be.  The western conflict was so different from the Pacific one, in so many ways. 

"The Pacific" doesn't delve as deeply into a single unit, so you don't get the depth and the personalities as you did in BoB.  However, from the perspectives of the three Marines that the stories are based upon, you get very deep into their feelings about the different horrors of the Pacific war.  One of the absolutely best WWII memoirs is by Eugene Sledge, with his book With the Old Breed.  The book is so much better than the series, but then again I am biased that way.  The books always have so much more in them, and this was the case here for "The Pacific."  However, as a visual projection of the books that it was based upon, this series really can't be beaten.  I highly recommend buying it or seeing it, whichever works best for you.  It is a very moving and strong tribute to the horrors of the Island Campaigns.

As an additional note to books versus series, the exception to the caveat is that BoB was so much better than Ambrose's book by the same title.  Ambrose has come under heat of late, and I read where a British veteran allegedly gave Ambrose the phrase that was used to title his book.  The British veteran was interviewed after Band of Brothers came out in print, and the veteran told how he was interviewed by Ambrose for the book about Pegasus Bridge, and referred to his mates as a "band of brothers."  Ambrose didn't use much of any of the interview in the book, but suddenly came out with the book about the US paratroopers, coining the phrase he'd heard from the British veteran.  The British soldier laughed about it, and said it was typical of Ambrose and yanks. 

I found Ambrose's book to be dull and poorly written.  On the other hand, "Band of Brothers" the series was pure genius, riveting, and I couldn't stop watching it, often tearing up at the terrible experiences of the men.  What I believe happened is that when Ambrose interviewed the US veterans, he was rather a cold fish, and the veterans didn't open up to him.  Then, when they were interviewed for the series, and also talked with the actors who were portraying them in the film, and they realized that the producers and the actors actually cared and wanted to get their stories right, the veterans really opened up to them and suddenly the series had some amazing depth and life to it.  That is why the series was as long and as good as it was.

But, to get back to "The Pacific," it is excellent and should not be missed.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2011, 20:29:26 »
ReplyReply

I bought the Blu-Ray version and I'm not so overwhelmed...

I hate the CGI in the series... for something this expensive they should've done a better job with the CGIs... when you want airplanes in your shots you KNOW that people will look at them since they are something special when you're doing a Marines series... and the planes look too good.... bombers very close to eachother... on a straight perfect line... sry but when I watched the CGIs I though I was playing a game

The jumping around from location to location AND BACK makes it all very confusing... sometimes I wondered where we were and if we were there before... not only do they jump locations but also at the same time jump from one personality to another...

The part with the marriage might have a splendid female actress but in 1 part falling in love, getting married, asking to return to the front, being approved to return, get to the front, fight and die.... well, that's a bit too much of everything! makes it unrealistic!

When I watched it I thought about the Eastwood movies where they showed the Japanese view (even T!T!T! came up in my mind)!

No, Pacific is not BoB. It will never be remembered in the same way. BoB is realistic and gets under your skin.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2011, 20:51:56 »
ReplyReply

Iwo Jima, letters from our fathers, is the Eastwood movie.
A very good movie which gives a not everyday insight to the Japanese soldier.
A soldier who could be classified among the worlds best.

Well trained, fanatic, disciplined and able to do his job with less water, food and supplies than his western counterparts.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2011, 21:11:58 »
ReplyReply

Iwo Jima, letters from our fathers, is the Eastwood movie.
A very good movie which gives a not everyday insight to the Japanese soldier.
A soldier who could be classified among the worlds best.

Well trained, fanatic, disciplined and able to do his job with less water, food and supplies than his western counterparts.

2 movies: Letters from Iwo Jima & Flags of Our Fathers
Earl Grey
Member of Staff

Germany

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 January 2011, 21:20:14 »
ReplyReply

Have to say I wasn't too overwhelmed either. It felt like there was something missing and I believe it'S the fact that they took three more or less different stories to create one series. Makes it somewhat disjointed and very difficult to identify with the individual characters which gave BoB so much intensity. Not quite right for me, but there ar other movies and series to buy...

"You don't have to take things how they are - rather how they should be!" - Bastard Instructor From Hell
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2011, 21:31:08 »
ReplyReply

Just saw Letters from Iwo Jima here on Telly for the first time ever day before yesterday (by chance, and unluckily not from start, missed the first 20 mins or so), must say I was really impressed. It is so different from the usual US POV that we are used to see that I was - despite tired - mesmerized and kept glued to the Telly.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2011, 21:33:17 »
ReplyReply

Just saw Letters from Iwo Jima here on Telly for the first time ever day before yesterday (by chance, and unluckily not from start, missed the first 20 mins or so), must say I was really impressed. It is so different from the usual US POV that we are used to see that I was - despite tired - mesmerized and kept glued to the Telly.

Rattler

I bought the 3DVD version with both films and a docu so I watched both movies with a short interval.... completely different movies from the standard warmovies

Rattler, ever saw 'Tora Tora Tora'?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 22 January 2011, 22:15:31 »
ReplyReply

Yes, various times, and when it came out. Fascinating at that time.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44457394 | Sitemap