19 May 2024, 07:46:11 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: CM: what about it?  (Read 8708 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 26 August 2010, 22:09:02 »
ReplyReply

haven't touched CM for several months now... sometimes I get this feeling... I get sick of it.... designing, testing, pbems.... can't even remember how long I played it... 10 years? that long?

what now... with the summer ending... return slowly to CM... the matter is that I tried other games but nothing kept my interest for long...

I decided recently to limit my computertime to keep more time for 'us' (K&K) so I won't return to hours and hours of CM every day...

I'm slowly re-locating all electronics at home so I'll be back operational next week or such.... I have ideas in my head for a new battle but I have doubts...who will playtest them? I have no intention to go back to wargaming sites since I feel to old to go the boys clubs where lots of people struggle with their ego...

so who's still active of you guys? who designs scenarios? who are your playtesters?
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2010, 23:04:43 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  I still enjoy CMBB and CMAK from time to time, but that real life thing keeps getting in the way.  Since I only do the play against the AI thing, I don't have to worry about seeking out H2H or wondering why my opponent hasn't responded with a new set of moves for the past three weeks.  Yes, I miss out on the thrill of competing head to head, but for now my schedule doesn't allow for even playing by e-mail.  So, I just do the solitaire thing, ramp up the CEB for the AI, and enjoy the action.

I've always focused on the plight of the little virtual guys in the squads or tanks that are trying to fight for survival - their terrific struggles during those 60 seconds can be very dramatic.  I may not always win, but I try to get as many of my troops out alive as possible.  It makes for great fiction to detail the action, and I've posted quite a few of them in the discussion sections of scenarios at TSD II, usually with dramatic screen shots.  Not surprisingly, many of them are from HSG scenarios.  MR and his mates have been particularly gifted in designing them.  As long as I have a computer that will still run CM, I'll keep playing it now and then.

There is still an active bunch over at The Scenario Depot II, and I'll jump in to help playtest from time to time.  Some of the guys there are rather prolific scenario developers, but most scenarios seem to be fictional or partially based on fact.  Henk and the HSG crew will faithfully put out historical rides from time to time.

I actually find some of the wargame sites fun to lurk at, and yes, the younger crowd do a great deal of chest-thumping and ego preening.  I still like seeing some of the posts though, so I wouldn't let that discourage you from stopping by there from time to time.  I very rarely post, but every now and then I'll toss in my two cents, especially when someone is asking about good books to read.  You can always tell the older guys  whistle in those forums, of which I find myself numbered, ha ha.  Don't think you are too old though.  I am surprised by some of the informative postings.

I can't say I am "active" in wargaming competition, but I've never gotten away from them and I'm always looking for the next really good one to try. 

Heinrich505
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2010, 00:19:01 »
ReplyReply

Im still actively playing CM, and will continue until the next generation, much like it, comes out. I am amazed at the way Battlefront gave up on the franchise that made them what they are today. Nothing in their inventory beyond CM appeals to me much. I am blessed with the ability to playtest for Henk quite a bit these days and always look forward to Dr Frankenstein's next monster.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2010, 10:49:53 »
ReplyReply

H505, indeed, playing vs AI is indeed easier and faster, designing a vs AI scenario is even more easier and faster and you see direct results...

the idea that I have is:

CMAK - open terrain with farms and small villages - partially forests
late war - Germany - wehrmacht vs GI's - mostly infantry and arty - AFV's and light tanks (max. Sherms and IV's)
enough turns since the infantry will be on foot and the map large

suggestion/ideas?
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2010, 10:50:36 »
ReplyReply

Im still actively playing CM, and will continue until the next generation, much like it, comes out. I am amazed at the way Battlefront gave up on the franchise that made them what they are today. Nothing in their inventory beyond CM appeals to me much. I am blessed with the ability to playtest for Henk quite a bit these days and always look forward to Dr Frankenstein's next monster.

Brede lach Dr. Frankenstein  hihi
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2010, 12:49:49 »
ReplyReply

Hey Heinrich.

If you need a good pbem player than I know someone Knipoog
I dont think we have ever played eachother do we?

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 04:41:41 »
ReplyReply

Henk,
  No, we've never played.  Thanks for the suggestion.  If time constraints ease up, I shall consider that.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2010, 10:24:00 »
ReplyReply

guys, what game is most popular these days?

CMBB or CMAK?
FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2010, 15:09:28 »
ReplyReply

I prefer CMAK.

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2010, 19:37:16 »
ReplyReply

I prefer CMAK.

noted, when I re-start designing it would be 1 scenario only as big time-spender.

I'm also thinking on making a series of mini-scenarios where German special forces are to perform several duties for their Führer!
Bert Blitzkrieg
Sergeant

Netherlands

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 7 September 2010, 13:11:45 »
ReplyReply

I'm still very active as a CM player. Think more active then two, three years back. But I never have even tried to make a scenario myself. Even running tests etc. are to much of an effort for me. I just want to play !!

Over at FGM there still is an active (and not childish) and growing club which mainly plays Combat Mission. Regularly starting new tournaments with fresh ideas. I think the game is awesome. So much possibilities etc.
I think there will be combat mission for the next two decades at least...
[hirr]Leto
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 7 September 2010, 18:33:41 »
ReplyReply

I'm playing over at WeBoB... they have a fantastic bunch of guys over there (not childish) and there is zero drama and great tournaments, opponents and discussions.

I don't play as much as I used to as I'm an assistant professor now (yeck, real job), but I can still crank out a few turns per day.

Cheers!

Leto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44882574 | Sitemap