18 April 2024, 04:55:52 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: AB Flygindustri K37/Junkers S36  (Read 25765 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« on: 27 February 2009, 19:12:38 »
ReplyReply

Unidentified Japanese propeller aircraft with open machine gun mounted on nose. Image from c1930s colorised postcard.
Nice detail on gunner's gear.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2009, 18:56:15 by Alan65 » Logged
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2009, 07:51:27 »
ReplyReply

Alan65,
  I did a fast check through Japanese 4 engine bombers, and couldn't find anything close to this.  All the Japanese bombers are enclosed in the front, like most modern aircraft designs of that time.  Are we sure it is Japanese?  It looks similar to the Soviet 4 engine types, the Tupolevs, which were a single wing, multi-engine, with exposed gunners positions, especially the one in the front.  However, the Tupolev front gunner station looked different than the one you are showing.  This one seems more refined.  Sorry I couldn't help much on this.

Heinrich505 
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2009, 16:41:57 »
ReplyReply

Alan,

same here: why do you conclude that this is Japanese?
Mad Russian

« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2009, 18:45:39 »
ReplyReply

My first impression is that it's an Italian bomber. I would agree that it doesn't look Japanese at all.

My initial guess is some model of the Fiat B.R. 20 Cicogna.

I'll look if I get time today.

Good Hunting.

MR
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2009, 18:55:09 »
ReplyReply

Thanks, guys, for all of your responses!  I have this in my digital archives as a Japanese postcard.  (I assume this is accurate until I get the physical postcard out).  I just further assumed that a Japanese postcard would have a Japanese plane!  Verlegen

I will have an up-date for you all on Monday.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2009, 19:01:58 »
ReplyReply

I just further assumed that a Japanese postcard would have a Japanese plane!

I would also think they would publish 'axis' items in 'axis' countries so not only their own stuff
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2009, 19:07:32 »
ReplyReply

True, Koen, although this postcard strikes me as 1930s era (well so does the plane, but what do I know of planes compared to some others here!?!  Grijns) and there wasn't really an 'Axis' then was there?

I have someone who helps me with Japanese translations; the caption of this card is Japanese--willl post it here, too, of course so all can take a look.
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2009, 19:25:23 »
ReplyReply

here is the caption of this postcard, in case anyone here can read it and translate for us; I'm sure it will aid identification.
Mad Russian

« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2009, 19:38:27 »
ReplyReply

It's definitely an early era aircraft. Nothing past 1940 had gunners standing in open gun pits. The fact that the cowling doesn't cover the engine is another indication of an early time period aircraft.

I missed the part where it was a 4 engined plane. That narrows it down alot.

Most Japanese bombers had the glass bird cage in the nose and 4 engined Japanese aircraft are as scarce as hens teeth. That won't be hard to decide very quickly if it's Japanese.

An interesting feature of the plane for me are the forward firing machineguns in the nose under the gunner. One and possibly two that can be seen, which would lead you to believe there are probably 4 forward firing MG's under the gunner in the gun pit.

Good Hunting.

MR
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2009, 20:19:27 »
ReplyReply

It is Japanese and before 1930, you are looking at one of two ever built AB Flygindustri K37 (one of those was sold to the Japanese, was tested there and was the base for the Mitsubishi Ki1 and Ki2 bombers). The JUMO engine and the rugged metal was the giveaway for me.

AB Flygindustri had based it on the Junkers S36:

Rattler

P.S.: Here the later developed Ki2 based on the plane in your postcard:

« Last Edit: 28 February 2009, 20:30:39 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2009, 20:23:58 »
ReplyReply

AB Flygindustri

Swedish?
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2009, 20:33:57 »
ReplyReply

AB Flygindustri

Swedish?

Yes. Correct spelling "A.B. Flygindustri"

was founded on 25 January 1925 by the Swedish brothers Carl and Adrian Florman and Hugo Junkers (from the German aircraft factory Junkers. Officially Junkers owned only 50% of the shares, as his was the maximum allowed by Swedish legislation for foreign shareholders. But in practice Junkers controlled another 32% through Swedish front men.

Junkers primary goal was to establish a production facility abroad, to get around the Allied restrictions imposed on Germany after World War I, which prohibited the production of any high-tech (until 1926) or military hardware on German soil.

Usually this meant that civil equipped aircraft were assembled in Dessau (Germany) after which they were flown to Malmö for conversion to restricted variants.

Aicraft type produced in Limhamm (Malmö):

* Junkers A20
    * Junkers G23
    * Junkers G24
    * Junkers A25
    * Junkers A32
    * Junkers W34
    * Junkers A35
    * Junkers S36
    * Junkers A48
    * Junkers Ju-52/1m

Rattler
« Last Edit: 28 February 2009, 20:41:48 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2009, 20:39:20 »
ReplyReply

flying in the winter without protection...those were MEN!
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2009, 20:44:30 »
ReplyReply

Ahhh, nice catch Rattler.  The mystery has indeed been solved.  Very nice shots too.

Heinrich505
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2009, 20:47:04 »
ReplyReply

Koen: The plane in the picture (D-1252) is the original S36 that later was converted into the K37 with the designation S-AABP

Rattler

Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2009, 20:57:54 »
ReplyReply

Ahhh, nice catch Rattler.  The mystery has indeed been solved.  Very nice shots too.

Heinrich505

Was not that difficult, as the only 4 engined bomber over there at 1930 was the Mitsubishi Ki20 (based on the Junkers G38) and that was improbable as it had different engine cowlings.

The ruffled metal and the JUMO made it a Junkers, the rest was searching in the Junkers Archives http://www.geocities.com/hjunkers/ju_intl.htm

Rattler

Mad Russian

« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2009, 22:43:30 »
ReplyReply

Yes, in the first place it wasn't a Japanese design.

Secondly, it wasn't a 4 engined bomber as advertised.

Thirdly, I have some pictures of the Ki-1 and I was heading in that direction as well, but not as a Japanese design. I was trying to back track it to the origin.

Good find Rattler.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2009, 23:15:48 »
ReplyReply

may I conclude that these were only prototypes and never used in battle/wartime?
Mad Russian

« Reply #18 on: 1 March 2009, 01:16:29 »
ReplyReply

The one Japan bought may not have been used in battle but I'm almost certain the Ki-1/2 were.

Rattler may have more on that.

Good Hunting.

MR
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 1 March 2009, 10:31:00 »
ReplyReply

You got it spot on

Rattler

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44437097 | Sitemap