26 May 2020, 02:20:05 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: To Identify: Curtiss-Seagull US Navy Observation plane?  (Read 1833 times)
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« on: 11 August 2012, 23:30:01 »
ReplyReply

this postcard is captioned "Curtiss Seagull  U.S. Navy Scout-Observation" and dates from c1940s/50s.

Just about every image on the web I see for the Curtiss Seagull shows a bi-plane; is this an accurate caption?  Was the plane modified in later years?  Some of the references I've found mention that it could be fitted with either a float or wheels so I'm not troubled by the fact that most images also show a giant float under the fuselage--but the single wings is an issue for the i.d.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2012, 09:11:44 »
ReplyReply

At a guess I think it is a Curtiss SO3C "Seamew" which was meant the replacement for the SOC Seagull and apparently also received the name "Seagull" the same as the aircraft it replaced.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Alan65
The Postcard man
Captain

United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2012, 19:13:14 »
ReplyReply

Thanks, Monty!
sure does look like it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_SO3C_Seamew
795 were built; used by US and UK; introduced in 1942 and retired in 1945.  I bet some were used by some country's armed forces after WWII, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 29165915 | Sitemap