29 March 2024, 07:30:57 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Quiz - Know the aircraft?  (Read 12890 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 25 April 2010, 00:03:17 »
ReplyReply

A bit of a fun game:

Author of first correct answer posts next question.

Hints:

This above shows the prototype, the one pic below the intended use, a wingless ground attack, CAS providing aircraft.

Also, the constructor (present in the above picture) was one of the most imaginative plane designers ever, active in WWII, even some current models are based on his ideas.

A/c is VTOL.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2010, 00:09:36 »
ReplyReply

bump

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2010, 00:56:07 »
ReplyReply

Well it looks like the Lippisch Aerodyne but the bottom model is a bit confusing being in American colours and all.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2010, 02:03:49 »
ReplyReply

Got it, spot on!  iconclap

Lippisch worked for the US after WWII, this was a thingy he developed (as an idea) for the US Army (not AF! the model is wrong) at 1950.

Two props, counterrotating for torque elimination and an air duct that made it ESTOL (my VTOL was a bit misleading on purpose, but 10 mtrs is *almost* VTOL):

In 1950, Lippisch joined the American Collins Radio Co. where he investigated the feasibility of building a high-performance Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. The "Aerodyne" was the most interesting of his concepts: Theoretically, it would be able to outpace most conventional aircraft with the same weight/power ratio, it would be able to achieve super-sonic speed, and it didn't have the operational disadvantages of such "tail-sitters" as the Convair XFY-1 "Pogo," Lockheed's XFV-1 "Salmon," or the Ryan X-13 "Vertijet."

The Aerodyne's lift and propulsion were to be generated by two co-axial shrouded propellers, the slipstream from which would be deflected downward by "flaps" for vertical take-off and landing. Control was to be achieved by deflecting part of the slipstream emerging from the end of the tail boom, and by flaps in the propeller slipstream.

You are next,

Rattler

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2010, 02:45:01 »
ReplyReply

Well aircraft are not really my field of interest but here goes...

What is this thing?

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2010, 23:35:11 »
ReplyReply

German methinks, I am sure I have seen it before, but after a month of going through the farthest hidden wrinkles of my tiny brain I succumb....  urock

Care to solve the riddle?

Rattler

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2010, 00:41:22 »
ReplyReply

Japanese Piloted Bomb?

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2010, 05:45:19 »
ReplyReply

German methinks, I am sure I have seen it before, but after a month of going through the farthest hidden wrinkles of my tiny brain I succumb....  urock

Care to solve the riddle?

Rattler

Not German.

Japanese Piloted Bomb?

Not Japanese either.

I will give you a clue, it is Russian and the two prototypes flew over 130 times between them.

MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2010, 00:35:32 »
ReplyReply

OK well I guess I was a little too tough so I will try another more identifiable one...

What is this one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and the last aircraft was...

Other Designations: Ts-1.
Class: Manned.
Type: Rocketplane.
Destination: Suborbital.
Nation: Russia.
Agency: NII.
Manufacturer: Tsybin.

The LL was a transonic aerodynamic testbed authorized by LII in September 1945. Three were built: the LL-1 with a straight wing; LL-2 with a conventional swept wing; and LL-3 with a forward swept wing. The LL was towed to a 6 km release altitude by a Tu-2 aircraft. After being cast off, it would fire its Kartukov solid rocket engine and accelerate to the edge of the sound barrier, with a camera photographing air flow on the tufted wing. The LL-2 was not finished because contemporary fighter programs were already providing data on swept wing configurations. But in 1946 to 1948 the LL-1 flew 30 times and the LL-3 100 times, with test pilots M Ivanov, Amet-Khan Sultan, Anokhin, and Rybko at the controls.

Crew Size: 1. Length: 8.98 m (29.46 ft). Span: 7.22 m (23.68 ft). Mass: 2,039 kg (4,495 lb). Main Engine: PRD-1500. Main Engine Thrust: 14.700 kN (3,305 lbf). Main Engine Propellants: Solid. Main Engine Propellants: 900 kg (1,980 lb).

LL Chronology
1945 September 1 - LL rocket-powered transonic aerodynamic testbed authorised. -
In 1946 to 1948 the LL-1 flew 30 times and the LL-3 100 times, with test pilots M Ivanov, Amet-Khan Sultan, Anokhin, and Rybko at the controls.

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/ll.htm
« Last Edit: 10 June 2010, 00:41:09 by MontyB » Logged

FACman
WaT Supporter

United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2010, 15:00:23 »
ReplyReply

Looks like an ME-262 airframe with a conventional engine...?

"You can call me by my first name...Sarge."
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2010, 20:18:30 »
ReplyReply

Nope, right designer though.

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2010, 23:30:43 »
ReplyReply

Yes: Me 309 V1

Wiki:

The Messerschmitt Me 309 was a prototype  German fighter designed in the early years of World War II to replace the Bf 109. Although it had many advanced features, the Me 309's performance left much to be desired and it suffered from so many problems that the project was cancelled with only four prototypes built. The Me 309 was one of several failed Messerschmitt projects intended to replace the aging Bf 109, the others being the Me 209 and the Me 209-II.
-snip-
The new fighter had many novel features, such as tricycle landing gear (with a nose gear strut that twisted through 90º during retraction, to a "flat" orientation under the engine) and a pressurized cockpit, which would have given it more comfortable and effective high-altitude performance. Each of the new features was first tested on a number of Bf 109F airframes, the V23 having a ventral radiator, the V31 with radiator and tricycle landing gear, and the V30 having a pressurized cockpit.

Low government interest in the project delayed completion of the first prototype until spring 1942, and trouble with the nose wheel pushed back the 309's first flight to July. When it did fly, the Me 309's performance was satisfactory - about 50 km/h (30 mph) faster than a standard Bf 109G - but not exemplary. In fact, the Bf 109G could out-turn its intended replacement. With the addition of armament, the aircraft's speed decreased to an unacceptable level. In light of its poor performance and the much more promising development of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190D, the Me 309 was canceled.

TA

Nope, right designer though.

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2010, 00:59:27 »
ReplyReply

Indeed it is the Me-309.

Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44167153 | Sitemap