31 May 2020, 21:14:19 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Mosquito Airborne Again  (Read 3792 times)
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 3 October 2012, 23:54:09 »
ReplyReply

After a 7 yrs restauration the world has a flying Mosqito fighter bomber (WWIIs fastest piston driven aircraft, constructed on a wooden frame) again since SEP 29, 2012, what a beauty, what a sound:

One of World War Two's slickest aircrafts underwent a paint job today ahead of its first flight next month.

The Rolls Royce Merlin powered twin-engine Mosquito has been undergoing a rebuild for the last seven years after American aircraft collector Jerry Yagen sent it to New Zealand to be restored.

The aircraft was originally built in Toronto in 1945 and was delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force who put the plane into storage without it ever seeing combat.

From there it ended up on a farm, rotting until 1978 when the Canadian Museum of Flight and Transport acquired what was little more than a decaying airframe.

It was then bought by Yagen who had it shifted to New Zealand because at War Birds Restoration in Auckland, Glyn Powell had worked out with a boat builder how to create moulds to make the special kind of plywood used in Mosquitoes.

The two Merlin engines - the same that powered Spitfires - came from stock that the Royal New Zealand Air Force inherited after the war.

War Birds' Warren Denholm says the aircraft saw the light outside the hanger for the first time in seven years today as it was towed across to the paint shop.

"There are no Mosquitoes flying today in the world, our aim is to fly in September," he said.

The paint job will be done in the livery of the Royal Air Force's No. 487 Squadron.

The squadron, made up of New Zealanders, took part in the 1944 raid on the Amiens prison in France, destroying a wall and enabling over a hundred Resistance prisoners, scheduled for execution, to escape.

The livery includes the squadron's motto Ki te mutunga, meaning "Staying till it ends".

The Mosquito will get its first flight on September 29 at a War Birds day in Ardmore under the guidance of a couple of experienced military pilots.

The Mosquito Flys - KA114 first flights

Mosquito Fly By - Ardmore Airshow Auckland NZ

Crank up your sound system and listen to the awesome power of four Rolls Royce Merlin engines in concert with an Allison v-1710 as de Havilland Mosquito FB.26 KA114 formates with a Supermarine Spitfire TR.9, a North American P-51D Mustang and a Curtiss P-40N Kittyhawk during the 'Mosquito Launch Spectacular' at Ardmore Aerodrome in Auckland, New Zealand.

Mosquito and three fighters in formation

Details about the restauration process with lots of pictures here: http://www.mossie.org/KA114.htm

Rattler
« Last Edit: 4 October 2012, 00:12:30 by Rattler » Logged

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 4 October 2012, 02:32:04 »
ReplyReply

Yep she is an awesome aircraft and hopefully within 2 years there will be a second one flying now the air force has found a stash of engines for them.

I copied that second video over to my thread on mil quotes as that is the best one I have seen yet on it.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 4 October 2012, 20:15:37 »
ReplyReply

the misses next to me wasn't watching so she thought I was watching a WWII video  champ

great job  hatsoff
Brian
Private

United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 7 November 2012, 19:12:57 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for showing the videos of this amazing aircraft, certainly shows what a great plane the Mossie was.
Guy should be thanked for the vision and determination that he showed to get KA114 back into the air, my only regret is that she probably will not fly in the UK.
I can remember the last operational RAF Mossie that was at RAF Upavon a bomber/PR version that was still in use up to 1964, the final days of the flying school before it was all moved to Cranwell, the Mossie, I believe, being provided to RAF Hendon as a static display on the closure of the school.  It gave a few, not many flights to cadets on that day, a young aircraft mad teenagers dream come true.
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 7 November 2012, 22:28:44 »
ReplyReply

Thanks for showing the videos of this amazing aircraft, certainly shows what a great plane the Mossie was.
Guy should be thanked for the vision and determination that he showed to get KA114 back into the air, my only regret is that she probably will not fly in the UK.
I can remember the last operational RAF Mossie that was at RAF Upavon a bomber/PR version that was still in use up to 1964, the final days of the flying school before it was all moved to Cranwell, the Mossie, I believe, being provided to RAF Hendon as a static display on the closure of the school.  It gave a few, not many flights to cadets on that day, a young aircraft mad teenagers dream come true.

interesting... I looked it up and Hendon is now a museum.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 8 November 2012, 01:23:10 »
ReplyReply

Oddly enough I think you will see a lot more Mosquito's up and running again over the next 5-20 years, there is a second one almost complete now and one of the groups doing the reconstruction has built the molds required to make the frames.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Brian
Private

United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 8 November 2012, 17:53:21 »
ReplyReply

I got my dates wrong, it was 1962 and also celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the RAF, great display which included an simulated air/ground attack on a terrorist encampment at the end of the airfield, Hunters softened up the target with cannon (live ammo so way before the days of elf and safety).  We actually had an aircraft industry in those days!
Brian
Private

United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 8 November 2012, 17:58:32 »
ReplyReply

We also may see a resurgence of late model Spitfires, now that the Burma government has agreed to the exhumation of the 60? that were buried at the end of the war.
So we may see lots of lovely real planes back in the air and I hope thet the info that more Mossies will be put back in the air is true.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 8 November 2012, 21:05:27 »
ReplyReply

I got my dates wrong, it was 1962 and also celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the RAF, great display which included an simulated air/ground attack on a terrorist encampment at the end of the airfield, Hunters softened up the target with cannon (live ammo so way before the days of elf and safety).  We actually had an aircraft industry in those days!

Here is the website of the guy "making" Mosquitos.

http://www.mosquitorestoration.com/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 29227823 | Sitemap