18 April 2024, 17:40:29 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: China conducts first test-flight of stealth plane  (Read 7302 times)
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« on: 12 January 2011, 05:23:00 »
ReplyReply

China conducts first test-flight of stealth plane
China has conducted the first test-flight of its J-20 stealth fighter, Chinese President Hu Jintao has confirmed to US Defence Secretary Robert Gates.
The confirmation came after images of the 15-minute flight in Chengdu appeared on several Chinese websites.
Mr Hu said that the flight had not been timed to coincide with Mr Gates' visit, the US defence secretary said.
The US is currently the only nation with a fully operational stealth plane.
But both Russia and China are known to be working on prototypes of stealth fighters, which are invisible to radar.
Mr Gates' three-day visit to Beijing comes amid US concern over the speed at which China's military is modernising and upgrading its technology.
"I asked President Hu about it directly, and he said that the test had absolutely nothing to do with my visit and had been a pre-planned test. And that's where we left it," Mr Gates was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.
'Take some time'
Leaked images of what was said to be China's J-20 fighter first appeared earlier this month during taxi tests at the Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute.
On Tuesday, the plane took off and flew for about 15 minutes, according to eyewitness accounts published on unofficial Chinese web portals.
A video clip of the flight was also posted on the web.
China says it expects the stealth plane to be operational some time between 2017 and 2019.
But earlier this month the Pentagon played down concerns over the fighter.
"Developing a stealth capability with a prototype and then integrating that into a combat environment is going to take some time," said US director of naval intelligence Vice Admiral David Dorsett.
China's official military budget quadrupled between 1999 and 2009 as the country's economy grew. In 2010 it stood at $78bn (£50bn).
But the US has by far the largest defence budget in the world at just over $700bn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12159571

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2011, 18:46:49 »
ReplyReply

very interesting, what will be the reactions I wonder....

1080HD Chinese J-20 Maiden Test Flight Video 2011-01-11 Huh? ?? ??

China Military: Chinese Stealth Fighter "J-20" ( 2 ) 29/12/2010
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2011, 21:44:01 »
ReplyReply

very interesting, what will be the reactions I wonder....

My guess is a lot more airborne lead in the Chinese atmosphere and a bunch of unknown crash spots.

No offense to the Chinese, Russians, Iranians or any other backward country trying to make advanced weapons but just copying the shape of Western technology and cramming in the same crappy optics and avionics as previous models does not make them a threat.

Lets be honest here the Chinese can't make baby food without killing thousands of people what are the chances they can make a 5th generation fighter that isn't a flying pig with a make over.

We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation. ~Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2011, 21:45:45 »
ReplyReply

Agree.

Flying such a thing and integrating it into a valid combat environment are some way different pairs of shoes.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2011, 21:56:06 »
ReplyReply

when I look at the pics I see a Russian airplane when I whipe the star out....

am I wrong.... I see some kind of Russian airplane....
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2011, 22:12:21 »
ReplyReply

I thought it looked like a cheap copy of the F-22 but looking at the engines and and after burners I think the only thing out there with a bigger heat signature would be the sun.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2011, 22:27:57 »
ReplyReply

I thought it looked like a cheap copy of the F-22 but looking at the engines and and after burners I think the only thing out there with a bigger heat signature would be the sun.

a stretched F-22  hihi
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2011, 22:40:03 »
ReplyReply

Have a search on their Air to airmissile program, its here on WaT.
the airplane isnt so much a danger, but their missiles ( specially the latest types) are state of the art.
Some types are ( according to military technology) probably more advanced than ours ..........

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
MontyB
WaT Supporter

New Zealand

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2011, 22:59:13 »
ReplyReply

Have a search on their Air to airmissile program, its here on WaT.
the airplane isnt so much a danger, but their missiles ( specially the latest types) are state of the art.
Some types are ( according to military technology) probably more advanced than ours ..........

That is all very fine, I am also told the Russians still make the best tank guns but if you can't accurately hit anything until it 6 feet away while your opposition can hit you from 70 miles then having the best missile is kind of pointless.

The problem with East European, Chinese, Iranian, Pakistani etc. weaponry is generally the poor quality of their fire control systems, avionics and optics.

Anyway you just have to look at the configuration of that aircraft to see how "stealthy" it would be, look at the arse end of it it has to have a heat signature to rival the sun, look at the shape and angle of the wings etc, my guess is that it is a 4th Gen fighter or fighter bomber with a face lift.

stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2011, 21:45:47 »
ReplyReply

Update on this issue, (source, Military Technology)

No simple copy and no surprise,

Similar to Sukhois T50(PAK FA) unveiled a year ago, whatever the new design is, has just now begun a process of system integration and tests.
These could easily take years.
While the front end of what the Chinese call Wei Long (Powerful dragon) looks like an F-22, it does not mean its a simple clone.
If one cannot resist "sinister" comparisations the J-20 prototype more likely resembles the ill-fated Russian MIG I.42 from 1999, featuring JSF like DSI optimised side intakes with bumps in the upper corners, a RAPTOR styled nose ans a onepiece canopy.
It features T50 like , all  moving out canted tailfins and ventral stabilising fins.
The later item is expected to be removed from future production models, once the flight control software further advances.
First disclosed to the public in 1997 by the US office of Naval intelligence to enter the service around the year 2015, the J-20 is what the CHinese call a 4th generation multirole fighter.
Overall performance of the J-20 is carefully thought to be superior to the Russian T50 but still inferior to the US F-22 ( electronics and supercruise)
As there was no official statement of acknowledgement before the first flight, speculations on the J-20s subsystems being built around an advanced FBW system fully integraded with the FADEC engine and the fire-control system around AESAtype 1475/KLJ5 radar remain.
The aircraft almost certainly features a glass cockpit, a wide angle holographic HUD and one single F-35 style colour LCD display with J-20 symbols shown at previous Zuhai shows.
Many of these subsystems have been tested on a J-10 or J-11 to speed up their development.

The Achilles heel......

Traditionaaly the Chinese were weak in high performance engine technology.
Hence the J-20 relies on powerplants directly from Russia or their Chinese derivatives.
It was rumoured earlier that the J-20 could initially be powered by two 13.200 kg/WS-10 class engines with TVC nozzles, while it was reported in november 2006 that a T/W10 17.000kg class turbofan (WS/15 enhanced thrust) would be under development for the J-20.
Reports named a supply of Salyut 99M2s or even T50s 117S to power the 2 prototypes., if the domestic engineprogrammes fails to meet the schedules.
The latest add-on to the hype were sightings that two types of jet-pipe nozzles were involved in the taxi-tests.
Like AL-31F and shorter and shinier ones pointing to the WS-10.
Maybe both prototypes are indeed ready, however the shape of the J-20s rear-end does not look definitive or stealthy.......

More striker than fighter,

The large high wing delta with upwards canards ( the only ones on a 5th generation fighter design) offers a lot of space for fuel and weapon bays.
The latter probably being the most spacious among the F-22, F-35 and the PAK FA.
They look large enoygh to house next generation ram-jet missiles.
The bigger the aircraft is (+20 m in length and +13 m in wingspan) , the more likely its payload and range are designed as a bomber/striker/standoff missile platform.
China is strategically interested in long range area-denial/ force projection.
This airframe looks consisted with a desire to project  force far beyond Taiwan and the Yellow Sea.
The size of the aircraft suggests it was designed as a multi-role fighter from the start, with the range and payload to serve as a striker.

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2011, 22:54:36 »
ReplyReply

More striker than fighter

And this is actually what makes sense from a Chinese POV of the threat profile they gotta face.

I have a hunch this "comparison" with the US stealth technology is a media issue, and nothing more.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2011, 23:01:07 »
ReplyReply

I think so, its just a simple design.
It has many flaws specially with the engines and in no way its capable of even getting near the wests sophisticated electronics.
What worries me is that the Chinese have developed new air to air missiles which are very capable and in some cases even better than ours.
Their latest family of missiles of long range missiles has greater range than our AMRAAM, with a large fleet of such aircraft loaded with these new missiles they become a big danger.......

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44443376 | Sitemap