29 March 2024, 05:45:21 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages:  [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: What would YOU like to see/do/read at WaT?  (Read 14195 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 11 January 2009, 20:55:52 »
ReplyReply

Yes, I AM curious about your interests!

What would you like to post on WaT?
What would you like to read on WaT?

What are YOUR suggestions?

Koen
Imp
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2009, 00:46:17 »
ReplyReply

Firstly appologies had little time & will get round to posting eventualy. From a quick look finding stuff is not easy a suggestion

Forum1
Forces involved in a specific battle or army layout.
Example
Forces involved in current conflict so end in battle
Ukraine 92 OOB
NATO forces 70-75 OOB
These would list the forces names lets Say 1st Lancers possibly with type armour mech arty etc & would include links to forum2

Forum2
Detailed OOB so (not real)
1st Lancers
3 Tank Comp Challenger1s (56)
3 Mech Comp (39 Squads & 36FV432s 9 Milans 6 Spartans)
1 Recon Comp ( 4 Scimatar 2 etc
Attached Arty
HQ Company
etc.

If wanted could do a third link from above for further detail
So Squad 8 men armed with list equipment.

Again if wanted could do another forum on equipment capabilities .
Not suggesting need to go this far but giving options

All these forums should be for info posting only not chat & should be linked.

Now if you want to see if this site has info on a battle or regiment or formation type look in forum one to see if the battle or formation is listed.
If more detailed info is available you will know because there is a link to it.
This can be used for all eras not just modern & perhaps forum 1 should be split into timeframes modern,WW2, Napoleonic etc.

There should be a seperate forum for discussing these forums for errors & the moderator has the right to update & correct all posts in so as accurate as possible. That way they just contain the best info you have & only info.
Sorry creating a bit of a work load here but perhaps a sticky should be placed saying as such & giving an example of prefered order info is posted in & prefered info if like. Could add things like total number of men if you actualy thought it useful.

I am not trying to be a party pooper as the aim of collecting info into one source is a great one but it is a huge task & needs planning & consitency to be effective. As it stands from my quick look it is generaly faster to find stuff on the web than at this site.
For me to spend a considerable amount of time posting unit information I at least have to feel somebody might find it.

Note for general force listings like say NATO OOB most countries will have 2 possibly 3 varieties of the same formation say 28 & 56 tank. There may be some other variations but they are very minor or rare. If have listings for the variations on Armour Mech & Inf taking modern day the total of 6 varients would cover most forces available with a good degree of accuarcy.
Most nations do however tend to have a few oddball units with an independent make up. Recon & Arty formations come to mind as having a wide variety as does air. Get the odd one with a diffrent ratio of squads to other equipment & things like special ATGM vehicle Hunter Killer Units that are to be attached to other units in use

Also if done this way often the force composition does not change as often as the equipment so could say 56 tanks then in detailed report list dates that the type was available so 80-86 Challenger 1, 87 to present Challenger 2 Milans to (forgot the name) etc.

In fact for the modern era many nations use similar formations if talking about main part of it. The equipment changes but the ratios of say Tanks to squads to ATGM to arty stays the same. A German 40 tank armoured unit is similar to its French counterpart etc
Eastern Block very similar West more variety as some nations cannot afford many MBTs or task is to hold so generaly higher ATGM ratio. USMC is another example as has tanks but not predominantly an armoured force but a quick reaction force so some unusual formations as light vehices for easy transport important.
If anything varies it is again recon as some is fighting recon like some USA German & some quick look see like British & many nations seem to come up with there own idea of whats best.
The USA also seems to struggle to make its mind up changing formations more frequently than most if I remember correctly.

Sorry if this comes across as negative just trying to suggest things I think would improve as you asked. Realise its aking for input from you guys running it but if you do not have a formal structure & the info grows it will not be any easier to find it here as you will have a disorganised monster on your hands.
John
« Last Edit: 12 January 2009, 06:54:26 by Imp » Logged
Imp
Private

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2009, 00:49:52 »
ReplyReply

A second thought as did not visit for a long time because of.
When join get an registration needs approving email, you then need to send one confirming it has been
Stndrtnfhr
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2009, 03:56:24 »
ReplyReply

Sorry Koen, but I do not have any thing to recommend.  I really like what I see on this site.  I joined for the Masters Tourney and am having a blast.  Looking forward to more.  Keep up the good work.

Regards
Stndrtnfhr
Herr Hauptman
Private

United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2009, 09:11:53 »
ReplyReply

I would like to see some threads on some not so well known conflicts of the past.We all have beaten the WW2 subject to death.How about the Boer War or even the Zulu War?Maybe the Russian Civil War? What I find interesting are the things I have never really heard that much about.This site would be the perfect place for it. Cool
Vati
Private 1st class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2009, 22:33:52 »
ReplyReply

Well, there are a lot of historic facts which are surprising once you get to notice its full impact on history.

This website seems to want conformation of facts you publice which makes you to publice things which are already publiced on other websites.

In the case of the second world war there are 3 "official" histories publicated.

The best known is the American version which is a writen history and actually thaught to our children.
The second is the german version which is nothing more than a publication of the diary of the german high command.
The third is the Russian version, this contains more pictures then text which is not surprising once you know that at the date of publication a large amount of the russian population couldn't read.

So, to combine these different views it takes original documents from different sources which are usually not available on the internet.
Since these documents are not available for all they can not be used in discussions on this forum.

Which means you will always fall back on the available information which is publicated, ie the american version of the history of the second world war.
There is little room for your own interpretation of known facts.

A special event for Herr Hauptman; http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/19thcentury/articles/fenian.aspx
« Last Edit: 12 January 2009, 22:39:57 by Vati » Logged
Mad Russian

« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2009, 01:38:05 »
ReplyReply

Well, there are a lot of historic facts which are surprising once you get to notice its full impact on history.

This website seems to want conformation of facts you publice which makes you to publice things which are already publiced on other websites.

In the case of the second world war there are 3 "official" histories publicated.

The best known is the American version which is a writen history and actually thaught to our children.
The second is the german version which is nothing more than a publication of the diary of the german high command.
The third is the Russian version, this contains more pictures then text which is not surprising once you know that at the date of publication a large amount of the russian population couldn't read.

So, to combine these different views it takes original documents from different sources which are usually not available on the internet.
Since these documents are not available for all they can not be used in discussions on this forum.

Which means you will always fall back on the available information which is publicated, ie the american version of the history of the second world war.
There is little room for your own interpretation of known facts.

A special event for Herr Hauptman; http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/19thcentury/articles/fenian.aspx

Nothing ever posted on this site is further from the truth than this post.

WaT is open to any and all posters. Those posters are welcome to use any references they choose. I use the references I have. I don't live in either Germany or the Soviet Union. So, I use the reference material I have available to me. If that conflicts with the material you have then quote your sources and start the discussion about what you think is a different point of view. That works for me.

You decide which side you want to present. As with many other historical websites I would think you should be ready to defend whatever you post up here. Most of the discussions will probably take place in English but maybe not. I'm sure we could get posts translated if we needed to.

I would like to see some threads on some not so well known conflicts of the past.We all have beaten the WW2 subject to death.How about the Boer War or even the Zulu War?Maybe the Russian Civil War? What I find interesting are the things I have never really heard that much about.This site would be the perfect place for it. Cool

Some lesser known battles/operations/OOB's are coming but my main emphasis will be WWII, Vietnam, the American Civil War and the American West in various time periods.

That's the material I have. If you are looking for more then  you can always ask questions and someone with the material on a particular battle, operation, campaign or war may step up and provide it. That's the plan as it stands now anyway.

Good Hunting.

MR

« Last Edit: 13 January 2009, 13:49:47 by Mad Russian » Logged
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2009, 13:32:14 »
ReplyReply

vati,

Everybody here is free to post anything he wants, as long as its not filled with hatred, racisme or something else described in our manifest.
The basis is for a lot of stuff gamers can use, central on one site.
The site is not ment to be rude to others, we want people to behave like grownups.
Its up to a poster if he wants to add something to the site.
Same goes for you, add something positive to the site.
If someone has no intentions to keep it positive than  he or she will be friendly asked  to leave the building and close the door on the way out.

Henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Geordie
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2009, 14:42:52 »
ReplyReply

Personally. Im amazed that anyone would claim that there were only 3 official histories of ww2 published.  Official because they were deemed so by who?  The Government of the countries??  I think that theres a lot more to ww2 than those 3 official histories, why for the Nazis alone there is a complete abundance of reference material to sift through.  Some of the earlier stuff by guys like Shirer who were there has some fantastic merit and readability, although not deemed official in any way.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2009, 17:52:54 »
ReplyReply

Vati,

thx for your input!

Indeed, talking/writing about history is quite an undertaking...no wonder you can go to university for history alone.... Grijns

There are indeed different versions but not only on WWII...it's a history thing...just ask some cops when they interviewed some eyewitnesses...

WaT is an OPEN medium where all members can post or reply...not a CLOSED board like most of them...we share at WaT!

Got some info to share? GREAT!
Got ideas? GREAT!

Feel free to ask or share whatever you want.

thx

K
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2009, 18:24:08 »
ReplyReply

Sorry if this comes across as negative just trying to suggest things I think would improve as you asked. Realise its aking for input from you guys running it but if you do not have a formal structure & the info grows it will not be any easier to find it here as you will have a disorganised monster on your hands.John

John, thx for your well appreciated input and the time you gave to WaT!

I'm reading your comments carefully and will try to use them at WaT

What I understand the most is that we need 'clarity' and the fact that people need to find easily what they're looking for.
Mad Russian

« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2009, 20:49:16 »
ReplyReply

I am not trying to be a party pooper as the aim of collecting info into one source is a great one but it is a huge task & needs planning & consitency to be effective. As it stands from my quick look it is generaly faster to find stuff on the web than at this site.
For me to spend a considerable amount of time posting unit information I at least have to feel somebody might find it.

The more information we get in here the more people will come and look. We have been open for business all of 4 full months now. The interenet has been around a bit longer than that. This project will never end.

The deal is this.....if you want to see all this data in one place you have to help. Koen, Henk and I can't do it all.

Sorry if this comes across as negative just trying to suggest things I think would improve as you asked. Realise its aking for input from you guys running it but if you do not have a formal structure & the info grows it will not be any easier to find it here as you will have a disorganised monster on your hands.
John

It didn't come across as being negative. Just as being honest about what you see and how you think it might be improved upon.

Where I come from that's constructive criticism not negativity.

Good Hunting.

MR
Imp
Private

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2009, 01:14:31 »
ReplyReply

Okay I am glad my post did not come across as negative

What you guys are aiming to do is indeed admirable & I think requires a good amount of commitment.

The main thing I think is some sort of thought on a structure & I was by no means saying mine is the correct one but feel you guys time could get consumed if you do not have one in place from the start.

I work in the financial sector so with the current climate have other things on my mind but I am not a bad "ideas man" so feel free to run any by me.
When things improve on the work front I will endeavour to give input to this site.

Of course if things go much worse on the work front I might have lots of spare time instead of none :'(

My intrest is WW2 to present but I am sure a format could be found that can encompass all timeframes.

In another post here mention is made of alternative reports on diffrent things (WW2 3 official versions)
As I see it this is not a problem if list events by battles.
It would have those interpritations listed under it perhaps if possible with the source.
The viewer is then free to make an informed guess based on all that infomation.
Both sides Propoganda machine may have tried to colour the outcome.

Sticking to my idea of diffrent linked Forums there would also one listing the historical outcome.
Perhaps then a miscelaneous one for photos etc stuff related to.

This also means if someone just wanted to waste some time looking at photos reading history or browsing OOBs its all in one forum

As a thought as you have nicely provided a forum for works in progress large posts the person posting might find it easier to post it in there & then cut & paste into the respective forums.

Respect guys

« Last Edit: 14 January 2009, 03:56:56 by Imp » Logged
Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2009, 02:57:37 »
ReplyReply

Guys,
  I agree with Stndrtnfhr.  It is amazing the wealth of information being put forth by you guys.  As my main interest lies with WWII, I am really happy with the wave of information and sources being posted.  There are subjects and topics galore.  You can view pictures that Stoffel posted on a movie he is an extra in, which shows period accurate uniforms.  The amount of books being noted and listed is fascinating.  Orders of battle and unit compositions are being shown.  Photographs are readily available for research and simple enjoyment.  Yes, you guys are giving us an amazing choice of things to read, enjoy, and discuss. 

Perhaps some more maps would be very nice, especially for possibly researching CMAK/CMBB scenarios, but for now, I can't begin to digest all the amazing stuff being posted.  It is overwhelming, in a really nice way.   Grijns

Please keep up the great work.

Heinrich505
Imp
Private

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2009, 18:09:09 »
ReplyReply

To Staff
Stoffel nice vid by the way & I think you might have access to some intresting ref sources from your posts.

a thought Bootie at the blitz does a forum 256 days of war it has petered out a bit as I think he has lost intrest thinking no one looks.
Started very well & might be worth asking him if you could copy & post them.
Gives a good idea of general strategic position & of course lists battles etc.

Would suggest you actualy try & recruit someone  to do it before approach & have not thought about the feasability of doing it  just thought it might be a nice starting point for WW2 & people with an intrest could expand it with extra info

Regards
John

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2009, 18:44:09 »
ReplyReply

Guys,
  I agree with Stndrtnfhr.  It is amazing the wealth of information being put forth by you guys.  As my main interest lies with WWII, I am really happy with the wave of information and sources being posted.  There are subjects and topics galore.  You can view pictures that Stoffel posted on a movie he is an extra in, which shows period accurate uniforms.  The amount of books being noted and listed is fascinating.  Orders of battle and unit compositions are being shown.  Photographs are readily available for research and simple enjoyment.  Yes, you guys are giving us an amazing choice of things to read, enjoy, and discuss. 

Perhaps some more maps would be very nice, especially for possibly researching CMAK/CMBB scenarios, but for now, I can't begin to digest all the amazing stuff being posted.  It is overwhelming, in a really nice way.   Grijns

Please keep up the great work.

Heinrich505

Hey, thx for the nice comments.

We do indeed try to give our members a large diversity of subjects...from very serious stuff like OOB's to the more relaxing stuff like postcards and pictures [new & old]

If you think that there's already lots of info available you'll be amazed what we have planned for you.

Complete day-to-day storylines about operations and/or battles, indepth technical data on german halftracks and panzers, oob's from the smallest to the largest countries, seperate OOB's for battles and operations, more postcards and modern pictures on warequipment and locations and more.....

What we, as founders, would like to see is that YOU guys start sharing stuff....
Get involved, ask questions to us if/when you want to post something....
Don't know where to post it? No problem, post it in a general forum and let us know, we'll move it to where it belongs.

k
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2009, 19:13:03 »
ReplyReply

Thanks Guys, specially Heinrich Smiley
I can only say, read Koens words!

You all can make a contribution to the site, I am sure anyone of you has something he might want to share with us.
Maps, OOBs, pictures anything will do!

henk

My topics are about my personal opinion, my thoughts and what I think. They do not reflect the official opinion of the ministry of defense of the Netherlands.
Mad Russian

« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2009, 19:56:37 »
ReplyReply

To Staff
Stoffel nice vid by the way & I think you might have access to some intresting ref sources from your posts.

a thought Bootie at the blitz does a forum 256 days of war it has petered out a bit as I think he has lost intrest thinking no one looks.

Would suggest you actualy try & recruit someone  to do it before approach & have not thought about the feasability of doing it  just thought it might be a nice starting point for WW2 & people with an intrest could expand it with extra info

Regards
John

In that vein, I intend on doing a chronology for each topic project I do. Operation Barbarossa is the first of those for me. It certainly is by no means intended to be the last. There are vast amounts of information at times on subjects and virtually nothing at other times.

This project  meaning War and Tactics itself could have stayed in development for years before we opened the doors and let the rest of you in. We decided that would be a waste of what efforts we do have at whatever time we have them posted. The site will always be a work in progress. It will never be "FINISHED" there is just too much information to share on military history. Even if that was simply WWII, which we obviously don't intend that be the case, there is an almost endless amount of information on military history that can be delivered on almost any subject.

I've been on the internet and visited great sites....that are now gone. So is their information. Then you do more searches, or if you're lucky and can afford it, buy the book!

We are trying to bridge that gap.

We know that no matter how we present the material it will never be perfect.  That there could always be a better way to show it.

We have tried to set up a system that allows for a simple "look and see" for topic system. One that allows for the general topic and once you go into that forum you will find the "rest of the story".

We hope you are for the most part enjoying your visits to the site.

We have a different kind of flavor. That comes from a variety of reasons, but not the least of which is that we have both Americans and Europeans working shoulder to shoulder on the same all working with their different ideas and concepts and ironing out the wrinkles as best we can. What you see is the result of that collaboration.

Good Hunting.

MR
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2009, 12:56:50 »
ReplyReply

To Staff

Regards
John

John,

the idea was indeed very good found by Shane.

What I'm thinking off is a more general 'what happened on this day in history?'

So we start off on f.e. January 19th 2008.

What happened in history on January 19th concerning 'war and conflicts'?

1915: German zeppelins bomb London for the first time in World War I
1807: Robert E. Lee, American Civil War general was born

this we do on a daily base in a subboard where I open a topic for each day.
stoffel
WaT supporter
WaT Supporter

Netherlands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2009, 19:20:47 »
ReplyReply

Two friends of mine, both highschool historyclass teachers.
Often visit the site for references , maps and other things to back up projects for students!

This was great news to me.
It shows we are doing a good job!

henk

Pages:  [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166068 | Sitemap