9 December 2019, 06:33:26 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: Me....banned...huh?  (Read 5273 times)
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« on: 9 September 2009, 19:56:37 »
ReplyReply

following our 'quest' on the shipwreck: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/toe-identification-board/dunno-what-it-is-post-it-here-we%27ll-see-what-we-can-find-out-about-your-picture/

I've been banned at shipsnostalgia due to spamming reasons... me spamming?

I posted:

1 post in the 'welcome' area introducing myself, referring to WaT and stating clearly I wanted to help them with the (limited) knowledge I have and with the help of WaT
1 post in the photography board sharing my knowledge about my experience about digital photography and cameras
1 post requesting help with the above picture which was solved by one of their members fast and well!

I never got a PM
I never got a warning

I tried to log in, didn't work, requested a 'new password' email, discovered my username was altered, used the altered one and then it said 'banned due to spamming'...

altering a members name, banning him and more, all without any warning or such....?

Well, you can say much about me but I do know how to walk around the internet-globe...

This helps me in knowing how NOT to do things as admin!

The only one that taps me on the fingers is TechAdmin....and mostly he's right...most of the times...not always... hihi

ps: a couple of months ago I got a PM on a board about explosives saying "don't do that"...I replied asking "what?"...ending your post with your name...huh? well, they had a problem since my name was visible in the left menu AND in my reply...

I/We do it different here on WaT...we are people who like to communicate...discuss stuff...and until now...well...we didn't had to do anything concerning members...

so..thank you...TechAdmin and Stoffel as my back-ups and SUPPORT....Alan65, FacMan, Earl Grey, Mad Russian as dedicated members....Solideo, Tanker, Heinrich505 as returning and contributing members and everybody else who wants to contribute to WaT!

We have a mission...but we aren't dictators...YOU can help us in the growth of WaT...

Language is not an issue....
Knowledge is not an issue...

We are here to help eachother....as friends...

Therefore WaT is a board...a place to discuss things...not a closed archive...

sorry...bit sentimental...exhausted and finally my holidays have begun...

Koen
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 9 September 2009, 21:30:55 »
ReplyReply

Did you link to the WaT ID thread when asking for the ID?

If so, the explanation for your ban (and I remember I sent you a detailed procedures summary for other forums some month ago) is that about 80% of forums have a rule that does not allow linking to other forums and call it spamming (they do not want their members distracted).

The correct way, in this case, would have been to post the pic there and ask for ID there.

Just for the record: I am glad we here do not run such a strict regiment (and we should´nt, such rules drive members away, people do not like to be pushed in their spare time; you can always pick the true spammers anyway).

The form they did it shows they are not very experienced.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 9 September 2009, 21:33:19 »
ReplyReply

Did you link to the WaT ID thread when asking for the ID?

If so, the explanation for your ban (and I remember I sent you a detailed proedures for other forums some month ago) is that about 80% of forums have a rule that does not allow linking to other forums and call it spamming (they do not want their members distracted).

The correct way, in this case, would have been to post the pic there and ask for ID there.

Rattler

no, I didn't....I posted the picture on their forum...without referring to WaT
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 9 September 2009, 21:35:20 »
ReplyReply

of cause, if I was unsure whether it was meant spam or not. A true spammer won´t receive a PM but get banned.

(we crossed, just had added the form bit to my above post).

Anyway, it is moot if you posted the pic there, than it is indeed not to be understood.

Rattler

"War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left...": The Rattler Way Of Life (thanks! to Solideo)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9v3Vyr5o2Q
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 9 September 2009, 21:39:18 »
ReplyReply

of cause, if I was unsure whether it was meant spam or not. A true spammer won´t receive a PM but get banned.

(we crossed, just had added the form bit to my above post).

Anyway, it is moot if you posted the pic there, than it is indeed not to be understood.

Rattler

the problem is that they didn't had IMG [] so I posted the image URL at my host but also stated that I wasn't able to show it to them due to the missing of a 'image' button...never had a reply on that neither...

as you said before...first introduce yourself...I did...then post something to contribute...I did...then ask a Q...I did...

but...the fact remains....you don't ban someone without a discussion or warning...certainly when there's been no topic discussion neither...
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 9 September 2009, 21:47:51 »
ReplyReply

It's hard to understand why they would do this.  Do you think they did it by mistake?

As you know I'm new on here.  I was introduced to this site by one of the other members.  If anyone wants to tell me more about this forum, you are welcome to do so. Smiley

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 9 September 2009, 21:56:04 »
ReplyReply

It's hard to understand why they would do this.  Do you think they did it by mistake?

As you know I'm new on here.  I was introduced to this site by one of the other members.  If anyone wants to tell me more about this forum, you are welcome to do so. Smiley

well, you are new...

let's say you do something wrong...Rattler and/or Stoffel will send me a PM or email when I haven't noticed myself...

Rattler, Stoffel and myself will look into the matter as a team and I, as admin, will contact you with a PM or email asking you or warning you about what you said/wrote/posted. Whatever happens, we will communicate.

When you insult or discriminate we will delete or modify your post but still we will contact you. When you made a mistake/error without realising what you did wrong we will try to come to a satisfying result for all parties involved.

Communication is the essence!
Jilly
Poster

Canada

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 9 September 2009, 21:58:41 »
ReplyReply

Oh Okay, that's fine.  I guess every forum has it's own rules to some extent,  it's hard for a new person to know them all.

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 9 September 2009, 22:02:12 »
ReplyReply

Oh Okay, that's fine.  I guess every forum has it's own rules to some extent,  it's hard for a new person to know them all.

limited set of rules here...act as an adult...respect other members...with those 2 you will come far..

a positive attitude will get you even further...

have doubts about something..ask...on the board or in a PM...we're always open for a discussion..

You're doing fine...RELAX  salute
KG AirborneBob
Private 1st class

United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2009, 07:59:16 »
ReplyReply

Unless someone some how hijacked your name there and started spamming under you name Huh?....just a thought.....
Rattler
WaT Supporter

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2009, 12:27:59 »
ReplyReply

Oh Okay, that's fine.  I guess every forum has it's own rules to some extent,  it's hard for a new person to know them all.

Not really: There is a "Forum Rules" tab in the upper line of tabs (rigth under your Avatar, 4th from left)... Smiley

Unless someone somehow hijacked your name there and started spamming under you name Huh?....just a thought.....

Also possible, though rare on the first day (though, with Koen´s notorious, erhmmm... let´s say "special", pw security... whistle).

Rattler

Heinrich505
Staff Sergeant

United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2009, 15:45:41 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  That is really strange.  Of all people, you getting banned.  This site is run extremely well, and, as you say, the communication part is top notch.  If they prefer to scratch someone without even giving them some sort of idea on why, then they can have their site.  It would seem that common courtesy is hard to find these days.

Heinrich505
Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2009, 21:54:19 »
ReplyReply

Koen,
  That is really strange.  Of all people, you getting banned.  This site is run extremely well, and, as you say, the communication part is top notch.  If they prefer to scratch someone without even giving them some sort of idea on why, then they can have their site.  It would seem that common courtesy is hard to find these days.

Heinrich505

thx for the kind words...and yes, above all I put respect and a personal approach on top of my list..we're more then just members..we're humans...individuals...and one of my main goals with WaT is to create a community based on friendship...where people grow from members to friends  salute
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 27229158 | Sitemap