29 March 2024, 05:44:00 *

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome to War and Tactics!    War and Tactics Forum is currently undergoing some modifications that might disable features you are used to. This is unabvoidable as we have to update the forum engine to a new structure that is incompatible with many of the features we had used so far. The good news: WaT will be more secure and stable, and most of the features we uninstalled will be a natural part of the new structure anyway. For the rest we will be looking for solutions. (APR 23, 2018)

Home   Forum   Help ! Forum Rules ! Search Calendar Donations Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TechnoratiShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Yahoo
Author Topic: FAO All - Projects TechAdmin  (Read 5407 times)
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« on: 21 September 2009, 16:53:38 »
ReplyReply

OUTDATED, see last post in this topic for current list

...just so you guys don´t think we are leaning back watching the forum grow, here a quick list of what I have considerd for the near future to make the forum experience still better, comments appreciated:

While we now have reached the level of a technically well functioning forum, new things have come up in the last year that need being addressed, espexially net 2.0 issues (Social Networking integration) and some nuisances that I run into every day and that are not necessary to have but drive me mad (I hate un-intuitive interfaces - thats why I am TechAdmin I guess...).

In no specific order, what I will try and implement when I find time (lots of code to rewrite for that):

1. Enable users with modem connections to generally turn off pics and have them replaced with a link (also thumbnails), as I have had complaints from guests from Africa that still have only the 56k transmit option.

2. Attached Files Renamer for the posting user (so far you gotta live with what you have)

3. Extended Profile Options, featuring:

- About Me, Interests & Media box
 - Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments
 - Customizable look & feel

4. Twitter integration (have selected topic titles fed to your Twitter account)

5. Share Topics in social networks by button: Facebook, Digg, Del.icio.us, Twitter, StumbleUpon and Reddit (the buttons would be generally assigned by Admins and then used by every user to his liking)

6. Top 10 stats (day, week, month)

7. Enable users to resize the text input area to their liking (sometimes I need to edit stuff and get tired scroling up and down)

8. Gallery plugin to allow user albums of photos/music, etc.

9. Topic starter flagged in posts of topics he started (a small icon to dicsern him from the commentators, under the Avatar)

10. DONE Add a "reply" button to every post (right beside the "quote" and "modify" button, so users do not have to scroll down as they have to do now, one of the nuisances that make me mad)

11. A new "quote" feature for external source quotes (allowing to quote link instead of author name)

12. Mark read *sent* PMs as read when receipient has read them (so far you never know whether he has looked at them...)

13. Integrate online .pdf posting by adding a .pdf tag in BBC code (so you just post the link to the -pdf doc and the file will display, as now with videos)

14. DONE (but added it instead of replacing the old style so as not to conflict with Project 20 below) Replace the page list of multipage threads with a page dropdown (so you can directly pull down and chose the page you want to go to in large threads with many pages)

15. Off-Topic BBC tag so users can clearly mark off topic stuff as such within a normal post

16. Enable non modifying Admin, Gmod and Mod comments to user posts, that will be clearly labelled as such

17. A BBC code tag to create justified block text (so far we only have left, right and centered, and in the case of e.g. the death announcement I realized we are missing that as I could not match the original layout with the translation: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/world-war-2-pictures/german-soldiers-memorial/msg6691/#msg6691)

18. We have go-down buttons above posts and toic views, now we need a go-up! button below the post

19. Drop-down menu for "glow" colors (for now you need to know them, like "lightgreen" etc, a WYSIWYG drop down menu would be more easy to use )

20. expand all the pages of a multipage thread into one when you click on the "..." between the page numbers in a page index. This will need hard refresh, though, as script.js (where the pages displays rules are stored) is often cached and you will need to override the cache of your browser

21. (on the back burner as far as priorities are concerned): An automatic download system (if you want all those pics on your machine that get posted daily)

22: allow you to add an embedded copyright for articles you post

23. A dice roller for the gamers, with many features to use straight from the forum. Features should include dice roll and add to some result, nested dice rolls, multiple dice up to 20 sided, etc: Simply your ultimate dice rolling wizzard.

24. display user registration date in post

25. clickable images with user selectable target (so that you can make pictures redirect to another page)

26. Birthday on Profile (optional for users, of cause)

27. Ban list display (clickable from forum stats)

28. Display poster age on post (optional for user, of cause)

29. for Mods and Admins: Copy Topic feature (will allow you to copy instead of move a topic to another board or thread)

30. For Mods/Admins: Partial ban: Disallow PM sending for selected user

31. For Mods/Admins: Partial ban: Ban selected users from using/entering certain boards (e.g. political forum)

32. Admins and Mods: A generic "Welcome" Topic will created everytime a user signs up, various standard texts to chose randomly, board chosable (our Rally Point I guess).

33. For TechAdmins: Disable the Templavte (eval) so the error log shows correct lines where errors occur in the code

That´s about it, let me know if you have other ideas or do not want one of the above imiplemented,

TechAdmin

"Smile, tomorrow will be worse!"  Murphy
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2009, 06:01:04 »
ReplyReply

#14: DONE

TA

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2009, 06:21:59 »
ReplyReply

#10: DONE

TA

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2009, 08:11:24 »
ReplyReply

check!
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2010, 09:24:59 »
ReplyReply

Update Project list APR 17, 2010:

While we now have reached the level of a technically well functioning forum, new things have come up in the last year that need being addressed, espexially net 2.0 issues (Social Networking integration) and some nuisances that I run into every day and that are not necessary to have but drive me mad (I hate un-intuitive interfaces - thats why I am TechAdmin I guess...).

In no specific order, what I will try and implement when I find time (lots of code to rewrite for that):

1. Enable users with modem connections to generally turn off pics and have them replaced with a link (also thumbnails), as I have had complaints from guests from Africa that still have only the 56k transmit option.

2. Attached Files Renamer for the posting user (so far you gotta live with what you have)

- Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments

5. Share Topics in social networks by button: Facebook, Digg, Del.icio.us, Twitter, StumbleUpon and Reddit (the buttons would be generally assigned by Admins and then used by every user to his liking)

7. Enable users to resize the text input area to their liking (sometimes I need to edit stuff and get tired scroling up and down)

9. Topic starter flagged in posts of topics he started (a small icon to dicsern him from the commentators, under the Avatar)

10. DONE Add a "reply" button to every post (right beside the "quote" and "modify" button, so users do not have to scroll down as they have to do now, one of the nuisances that make me mad)

11. A new "quote" feature for external source quotes (allowing to quote link instead of author name)

12. Mark read *sent* PMs as read when receipient has read them (so far you never know whether he has looked at them...)

13. Integrate online .pdf posting by adding a .pdf tag in BBC code (so you just post the link to the -pdf doc and the file will display, as now with videos)

14. DONE (but added it instead of replacing the old style so as not to conflict with Project 20 below) Replace the page list of multipage threads with a page dropdown (so you can directly pull down and chose the page you want to go to in large threads with many pages)

15. Off-Topic BBC tag so users can clearly mark off topic stuff as such within a normal post

16. Enable non modifying Admin, Gmod and Mod comments to user posts, that will be clearly labelled as such

17. A BBC code tag to create justified block text (so far we only have left, right and centered, and in the case of e.g. the death announcement I realized we are missing that as I could not match the original layout with the translation: http://www.warandtactics.com/smf/world-war-2-pictures/german-soldiers-memorial/msg6691/#msg6691)

18. We have go-down buttons above posts and toic views, now we need a go-up! button below the post

19. Drop-down menu for "glow" colors (for now you need to know them, like "lightgreen" etc, a WYSIWYG drop down menu would be more easy to use )

20. expand all the pages of a multipage thread into one when you click on the "..." between the page numbers in a page index. This will need hard refresh, though, as script.js (where the pages displays rules are stored) is often cached and you will need to override the cache of your browser

21. (on the back burner as far as priorities are concerned): An automatic download system (if you want all those pics on your machine that get posted daily)

23. A dice roller for the gamers, with many features to use straight from the forum. Features should include dice roll and add to some result, nested dice rolls, multiple dice up to 20 sided, etc: Simply your ultimate dice rolling wizzard.

25. clickable images with user selectable target (so that you can make pictures redirect to another page)

29. for Mods and Admins: Copy Topic feature (will allow you to copy instead of move a topic to another board or thread)

31. For Mods/Admins: Partial ban: Ban selected users from using/entering certain boards (e.g. political forum)

32. Admins and Mods: A generic "Welcome" Topic will created everytime a user signs up, various standard texts to chose randomly, board chosable (our Rally Point I guess).

33. For TechAdmins: Disable the Templavte (eval) so the error log shows correct lines where errors occur in the code

34. A better chat system

35. For Mods/Admins: "Quick ban" feature (saves time for spammers) that combines user banning *and* account deletion into one action.

36. DONE. For Mods/Admins: Add a "honeypot" lookup and a quick "whois" lookup to "Track IP" feature, to discern Harvest Bots and Dictionary attackers better.

37. Allowing google translation of pages via flag buttons

38. Allowing (maybe forcing?) users to chose a flag for their location during signup that then displays under the avatar

39. Automatic harvesting protection for emails displyed in posts

40. (way on the backburner) For bored users: A play chess feature

41. Hide unused profile fields (like "ICQ, etc) to save screen space

That´s about it, let me know if you have other ideas or do not want one of the above implemented,

TechAdmin

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2010, 19:15:04 »
ReplyReply

these are the ones I look forward to:

12. DONE Mark read *sent* PMs as read when receipient has read them (so far you never know whether he has looked at them...)

38. Allowing (maybe forcing?) users to chose a flag for their location during signup that then displays under the avatar

forcing! maybe a way to see how countries are represented in our memberlist or such?
34. DONE A better chat system

smallclap
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2010, 02:01:17 »
ReplyReply

Update Project list APR 19, 2010:

- Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments

5. DONE: Share Topics in social networks by button: Facebook, Digg, Del.icio.us, Twitter, StumbleUpon and Reddit (the buttons would be generally assigned by Admins and then used by every user to his liking)

12. DONE Mark read *sent* PMs as read when receipient has read them (so far you never know whether he has looked at them...)

19. Done: Drop-down menu for "glow" colors (for now you need to know them, like "lightgreen" etc, a WYSIWYG drop down menu would be more easy to use )

34. DONE A better chat system  champ

35. For Mods/Admins: "Quick ban" feature (saves time for spammers) that combines user banning *and* account deletion into one action.

36. DONE. For Mods/Admins: Add a "honeypot" lookup and a quick "whois" lookup to "Track IP" feature, to discern Harvest Bots and Dictionary attackers better.

39. Automatic harvesting protection for emails displyed in posts

That´s about it, let me know if you have other ideas or do not want one of the above implemented,

TechAdmin

TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2010, 12:53:40 »
ReplyReply

OUTDATED, see last post for current status

Update Project and DONE list  MAY 2, 2010:

- Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments

5. DONE: Share Topics in social networks by button: Facebook, Digg, Del.icio.us, Twitter, StumbleUpon and Reddit (the buttons would be generally assigned by Admins and then used by every user to his liking)

6. DONE : Top 10 stats (today, this week, this month)

18. DONE We have go-down buttons above posts and topic views, now we need a go-up! button below the post

19. Done: Drop-down menu for "glow" colors (for now you need to know them, like "lightgreen" etc, a WYSIWYG drop down menu would be more easy to use )

25. DONE BBCode for clickable images with user selectable target (so that you can make pictures redirect to another page)

38. DONE Forcing users to chose a flag for their country of origin - different from location - during signup that then displays under the avatar

39. Automatic harvesting protection for emails displayed in posts

TechAdmin

Koen
Poster

Belgium

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2010, 18:14:09 »
ReplyReply

13. is something I look forward to  salute
TechAdmin
Administrator

Germany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2010, 00:08:47 »
ReplyReply

Update Project and DONE list  MAY 8, 2010:

3. DONE Extended Profile Options, featuring:

- Organizable buddy list
 - Approval of buddies
 - Profile pictures
 - Profile comments
 - Picture comments

6. DONE : Top 10 stats (today, this week, this month)

8. DONE (via profile: You can upload your own albums nd pics)Gallery plugin to allow user albums of photos/music, etc.

13. DONE Integrate online .pdf posting by adding a .pdf tag in BBC code (so you just post the link to the .pdf doc and the file will display, as now with videos)

18. DONE We have go-down buttons above posts and topic views, now we need a go-up! button below the post

25. DONE BBCode for clickable images with user selectable target (so that you can make pictures redirect to another page)

33. For TechAdmins: Disable the Template (eval) so the error log shows correct lines where errors occur in the code

38. DONE Forcing users to chose a flag for their country of origin - different from location - during signup that then displays under the avatar

39. Automatic harvesting protection for emails displayed in posts

TechAdmin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Unique Hits: 44166051 | Sitemap